Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Jungle Cruise Holiday makeover?

I am against Holiday overlays in general, with the exception of perhaps Small World.

Why? because they destroy the original ride's architecture and concept, and they look cheap (because they are temporary and *overlaid*). This is not such huge problem if you are an AP since you can just come back later in the year to see the real deal.

But it is really unfair for all our guests that only get to come every Christmas, such as many Australians and Kiwis (whose summer is in our winter). Imagine only ever seeing HMH and thinking that was it. A ride with a bunch of plywood cutouts and fake snow thrown around. And never knowing how truly awesome and realistic the real Haunted Mansion is.

Even if you like HMH, you can't possibly say it matches the original imagineering wowness of the Haunted Mansion. But if you were from Australia, that might be all you ever knew.
    Lame.

Anyhow, Adventureland should look like exotic places in the world... like equatorial jungles, etc. Once you start putting Christmasy elements in there, you'll ruin that. It doesn't snow in the jungle of the Jungle Cruise (wrong part of the world). Really subtle and realistic touches (such as the radio broadcast) would be lost on guests, and thus pointless budget-wise, but they wouldn't hurt.

In the end you must ask about Integrity. Does the overlay destroy the integrity of the original attraction's theme, tone, quality, or concept? I believe that in the vast majority of cases, the answer is absolutely yes.
    Last edited by idreamofjeani; 08-04-2007 at 09:06 AM.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I think I remember reading something similar but I wasn't there for that. I'm not as old as some of you make me out to be. I do remember Sherry making us animal print Santa Hats and Scarfs for a couple years. I'm not sure if she initially got managers approval or if it was like the crew shirts/jackets where we just did them among ourselves. Shortly before the costume change Management pointed the finger at WDI and said we could no longer wear the Santa Hats during the Holidays. Some of us knew WDI... WDI LOVED the hats and wanted to know why we couldn't wear them... Management was pissed that we pulled the punk card and asked! It was a bit embarrassing for them because they didn't we would check since they didn't think the hats meant anything to us. It's also when I started to loose respect for the team (prior to the big shift) because they did not have personal accountability... They decided to finger point instead of saying "We don't want it!" which I would have been fine with.

It wasn't a skippers last day, it was just a bunch of us who were rather bored during the holidays, went out and bought Santa hats and went on Safari putting them on random things in the jungle. the effect was quite funny, and I had a hard time keeping a straight face when I went through the native uprising. The whole thing lasted about a day and a half before management shut us down.

Techskip, I can't believe you remember the jungle themed Santa hats, I still have mine sitting at home. In the early 2000's Jungle Cruise was coming out of the "Narrations" mindset of the 90's, so personalizing your comstume and creating a character was still very much encouraged. While management told us we couldn't wear Santa hats, we did ask if we could wear themed ones, and they agreed, I assume never imagining that we would actually followed through on it. The next year, we all came back for Christmas wearing our themed hats, when we were told that WDI didn't approve. I think it had more to do with the fact that management at the time was quickly losing it's grip on Jungle Cruise and needed to do something to flex it's mucle and show us who was in charge. This backfired however, there were some of us who knew WDI, and were told that WDI thought the hats were fantastic. They never imagined we'd ask WDI, just that we were a bunch of stupid college kids who'd go along with whatever the managers said, because they were in charge. What we didn't get management approval for was putting tree ornaments on the boats, and one guy who wrapped himself up in Christmas lights with a battery pack, the effect was brilliant.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    It wasn't a skippers last day, it was just a bunch of us who were rather bored during the holidays, went out and bought Santa hats and went on Safari putting them on random things in the jungle. the effect was quite funny, and I had a hard time keeping a straight face when I went through the native uprising. The whole thing lasted about a day and a half before management shut us down.

Techskip, I can't believe you remember the jungle themed Santa hats, I still have mine sitting at home. In the early 2000's Jungle Cruise was coming out of the "Narrations" mindset of the 90's, so personalizing your comstume and creating a character was still very much encouraged. While management told us we couldn't wear Santa hats, we did ask if we could wear themed ones, and they agreed, I assume never imagining that we would actually followed through on it. The next year, we all came back for Christmas wearing our themed hats, when we were told that WDI didn't approve. I think it had more to do with the fact that management at the time was quickly losing it's grip on Jungle Cruise and needed to do something to flex it's mucle and show us who was in charge. This backfired however, there were some of us who knew WDI, and were told that WDI thought the hats were fantastic. They never imagined we'd ask WDI, just that we were a bunch of stupid college kids who'd go along with whatever the managers said, because they were in charge. What we didn't get management approval for was putting tree ornaments on the boats, and one guy who wrapped himself up in Christmas lights with a battery pack, the effect was brilliant.
    Wow I predate you, I forgot that. So the Santa Hats on the Jungle Animals... that happened while I was in the Corps then! That makes me proud. I do remember the XMas light trick, think I taught someone that one actually. In all fairness it was handed to me by someone so I can't claim it as mine. I have my Jungle Santa Hat, also my Leather Pouch, Knot Necklace, 50th jacket and New Survival Guide... some great memories wrapped up in those objects!

Narrations... came so close. I started 98, so there were plenty of Narrations kids around! Looking back it was the perfect environment to learn in. I picked up the timing, boat control, volume control, and general knowledge from the Old School Skips (5 to 10 years seniority wasn't uncommon). Then I learned the character, theming, delivery, and joke tailoring from the Narrations kids. I really had the best of both worlds, plus Survival Guide and plenty of old spiels at my disposal! It's unnerving when people cite you as their mentor and influence... so if anyone said that of me... now you know where I got it from because the crew mentioned above was mine!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

I really love the idea of making over different attractions in the park for seasons. Hong Kong made-over their Jungle Cruise recently with their "Pirates Takeover" of Adventureland. I know that isn't exactly Christmas - and it wasn't a huge set of changes - but it makes things constantly interesting.

Random makeovers! It's the way to go!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234