Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Yeah thats right.

Romantization of Pirates

I've been wondering lately, and haven't been able to come up with much, about why pirates have been romantisized in our society? I first went on the Pirates of the Caribbean last fall and was pretty sad after the ride ended. The pirates came in, burned down the people's town, and were selling off the women to be raped. It was sad. I can't really figure out why such stuff is promoted, and even changed to make pirates' evil ways more PC as time goes on??? Like modifying the song on the ride to take out the word "rape", and changing the pirate chasing the woman to make it look like he wants her food and not her body?

Can somebody explain to me where this love for these a-holes that would steal things from other ships, come raid peoples towns, kill innocent people, steal and rape people's wives comes from? And why do you like the Pirates of the Caribbean ride so much? Just because of the animatronics/environment? Do you like the story? Are we going to have rides dedicated to modern day pirates taking over people's boats with Uzi's and raping women off the coast of Africa? I just don't get it.

This post is not ment to offend, just trying to figure this one out. The only thing I can think of is that the old pirates were sort of funny with their eye patches, wooden legs, and accents. Makes them sort of funny looking/acting, but their comedy value disappears when they come in to town and do what they do.

And not only that but all the pirate merchandise to be purchased after the ride. Why would people want to be pirates? Is the south central LA-Gangster ride coming featuring doing driveby's, robbing convenience stores, jumping people etc, with a store afterwards to buy your own gangsta-gear baggy pants to wear super-low, red & blue bandanas, tattos, assault rifles, etc a couple hundred years from now at disneyland? I don't get it!!

• Beyond Your Experience

Humans, by nature, gravitate towards their dark side. Everyone roots for the bad guy, or at least most. Ever wonder why when personified, the Devil is often a sharp dresser, a dapper son of a bitch, with uncanny good looks? Its just more attractive. Its really as simple as that.

Every little boy wants to be a pirate, he takes the legend and aura of a pirate and makes it so. Its more grandiose, over the top, and cynical, there's more adventure in being infamous. Its just human nature, I dont know if i can explain it anymore than that.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries
    Pirate Tui: Gyar I tell ye true, there be some scurvy knaves sailin th' seven seas. But we not all be that bad me heartie! There be somethin t' be proud of when ye steal yer first ship, some amount o' excitement! Make the hairs on the back of yer neck stand up!

I don't be buying no women to be raped either! I buy them t' bring them out to a nice and classy dinner! I make sure they have a nice time! I wear me best hook and everythin'!

So before ye make any assumptions, make sure ye know that there be good pirates as well as the bad matey! Gyar! Never Assume it makes in ass of u and me!
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

It's just a fun ride. Make believe ya know. Lets people be in another world for a while. Besides that on a hot day it is nice and cool. My son has a pirate room and even gave himself a pirate name. Does that mean he is going to chase women rape them or burn down a city? I think not.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by disneylover4ever
    It's just a fun ride. Make believe ya know. Lets people be in another world for a while. Besides that on a hot day it is nice and cool. My son has a pirate room and even gave himself a pirate name. Does that mean he is going to chase women rape them or burn down a city? I think not.
    Pirate Tui: Gyar! I hope not! If he ever feels like doin that though, send on over t' boards, and ole pirate Tui will set the lad back on the right track.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Its because pirates were tough. brazen men who didnt take crap from anyone and had their way with women how they wanted. In a patriarchal society such as ours, this goes over very well.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Ever read a trashy romance novel? There's one called A Pirate's Love by Johanna Lindsey. Might give ya some insight.

No one really likes the idea of rape...usually. However, some do fantasize about it...that whole "man dominating" sort of thing. That's why some people have fetishes.

In truth, I don't think most people who go and ride PotC think about the ravaging of women that the pirates do. With the merry song playing in the background, the beautiful theming, and just how awfully funny the pirates look...that's why people like the ride.

And this was Walt's last real touch.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    I kind of agree with him though.. it is a fairly dark sad ride....

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• ...the legend

Blog Entries
    Jenni ------> s
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    what kind of pirates does she like

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• ...the legend

Blog Entries
    Grown up pirates.
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Theres still some degree of mystery to the history and story of the Pirates that lures people in. We're all intrigued by the things we dont know about: Thats why old Tomorrowland was so popular in the 50s 60s and 70s. America was intrigued by space and the future because they had no idea what was out there or to come. Nowadays, an informational Tomorrowland would be less impressive to us because our world is moving so quickly and we know whats going on becuase its happening all around us. We know what space looks like. Weve seen the footage from the moon. Weve seen the movies and film and photos that shows us what space looks like.

Same thing with the Haunted Mansion - we're intrigued by ghosts, mostly becuase a lot of us are skeptical - do ghosts exist or not? and we're intigued by the idea of the supernatural.

We know the pirates existed.. We know they were bad characters. But theres a lot of mystery still about them... And I think the mystery of certain things leads to interest and intrigue. Thus, becoming a popular subject and something people try to fill in the blanks of (usually with romanticization - perfect examples being POTC and the HM).

Not to mention - we also seem to like to romanticize and make light of things that were hazardous, frightening, or just bad. As bad as they are, people make jokes about the holocaust and things like that. The lightening of certain topics like Pirates and Ghosts are ways for people to enjoy life and cope even though scary/bad/bizarre things happen in this world.

Nevertheless, I'm not Walt Disney. So his motives could have been totally different than this... Afterall, he was a genius and certainly had different ways of thinking about things...

Anyway, thats just my two cents...

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

I always wondered that too as I went through a period where I researched pirate history and watched tons of movies.. but then I realised that none of my friends realised what real pirates were. So maybe half the people going on the ride don't realise pirates are such bad folk.

• Yeah thats right.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylover4ever
    My son has a pirate room and even gave himself a pirate name. Does that mean he is going to chase women rape them or burn down a city? I think not.
    Of course it doesn't. But the question remains as to why he has a pirate room and likes pirates so much that he gave himself a pirate name. Is he aware of what piracy was, represents, and continues to be all about? Does he know that they are primarily rapists, thieves, drunks, and pillagers? If not, then why not? Why make something good out of something so bad?

• Yeah thats right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennidisneyfer
    Jenni ------> s
    well, why?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast