Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big Thunder Tribute

So I was On Big Thunder Today,a nd at one point saw a buch of roses in one section fot he ride. I think it could be a tribute form a guest to the accidnet. Where was the accident?
    5 days a week

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Big Thunder Tribute

I believe you are referring to the man who died riding Big Thunder back in 2005 right? If so, I'm sorry, but I do not recall where the actual accident occured .

• "I Break Things"

Because I have a personal connection to those who were the first responders I refuse to answer this question. Hopefully someone will PM you the location. As to if it's a tribute... no clue

Side Note- people asking "Did someone die?" every time BTM breaks down isn't funny! A family lost a loved one and several CM's were in therapy for a long time... they all bear emotional scars that no one should have to bear. I respect them for what they have gone through. My point? if you are in the park please be respectful to both the family and the crew... don't ask that question.
    Last edited by techskip; 06-24-2007 at 07:29 PM.

• I'm Flying High

I can't imagine what that must be like for the family, friends, and cast members that were involved. It's terrible for someone to ask a question like "did somebody die". I remember hearing about it and being really sad, and I still am.
    Last edited by roxystar68; 06-24-2007 at 08:07 PM.
    The daydream princess

• Happy 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Because I have a personal connection to those who were the first responders I refuse to answer this question. Hopefully someone will PM you the location. As to if it's a tribute... no clue

Side Note- people asking "Did someone die?" every time BTM breaks down isn't funny! A family lost a loved one and several CM's were in therapy for a long time... they all bear emotional scars that no one should have to bear. I respect them for what they have gone through. My point? if you are in the park please be respectful to both the family and the crew... don't ask that question.
    I've often worried about the CM's that were involved in that incident. I communicated with one on another board right after the accident and I've often wondered how that crew was doing. I'm sorry to hear they are still being reminded of the incident so often.

Please let them know that many of us appreciated everything they did.

• Banned User

I would think it would be very traumatic for the CM's, just like my being robbed at the bank where I work was traumatic for me. You don't go to work expecting such a thing to happen. You feel safe, and everything about that safety feeling leaves you when a tragedy happens.

My heart goes out to the CM's and the family of the person who was killed. Very, very sad.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

The accident occured right after the first tunnel, and right before the second lift hill. Is that where you saw the roses?

im not sure. Its not like im tryign to remind people of the accident.......i thought it was very cool to see people care for it like that.
    5 days a week

• Digging to Earth's center

"Did someone die?" I've never heard a guest ever ask that before each time Big Thunder breaks down. Well, also after the accident, we didn't ride it for a year and a half. But anyway, now that it's been a while since the accident, shouldn't people forgive, forget, and move on? CMs involved shouldn't have to hear that question, it sucks, thinking that the accident was their fault.

Did these guests just randomly ask this before entering the loading station, or did they actually ask a CM this?

• Photographer/Disney Lover

Why. He is asking when the event occurred, not where.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." ~ Walt Disney

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I understand, especially for the CM's involved, that asking "did someone die?" is not an appropriate thing to say.

Do the CM's think it is similarly disrespectful when they are told to board in the first car and they ask the CM to be put somewhere else? This has happened with me sometimes and I ask to be put in another car. I don't bring up the guy who died, but I just ask to be seated somewhere further back. I'm sorry -- I don't mean any disrespect, but I guess I'm superstitious or something.

• Shubisha

then don't bring it up. no one called you or the CMs out.

I believe the location was right after the train makes the left turn and enters the cave-in lift hill section.

• "I Break Things"

I realize the question posed didn't call anyone out. If you read the later post you may have a glimpse as to why I responded in the first place. After several years of watching close friends attending therapy, and watching guests constantly ask "Didn't someone die on this ride" or "Hey where did that guy get crushed" ... and those are the nice comments... In a sense I snapped a bit. I was not asking for pity for myself or anyone else. I was, and did, bring awareness to the fact that someone did die and questions posed should be posed out of respect, not jest. I am not implying that this is such a post. I feel he honestly did want to know... a proper response should have been read the D.O.S.H. report (which is public) or do some research and look it up. Google has an assortment of links with extensive reports on it.

A person died in 2005, and cast members had to have therapy. That's sad, even tragic. But, so we don't loose perspective, let's please not forget our brothers and sisters who are dying every day in the middle east and their moms, dads, spouses and children who also need therapy and much more. God Bless them all and please come home safe and soon. Monk99...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

And also, let us not forget the torture that Paris Hilton must have been suffering during the last few weeks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast