View Poll Results: Which would you love to see

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it Tom- it's a classic

21 32.31%
  • Go Jack- time for a change

12 18.46%
  • General Pirate Island... up for grabs among the lot.

26 40.00%
  • Don't really care as long as I can ditch security in the caves.

6 9.23%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Tom's Island or Jack's Island

Disney has already cast it's proverbial lot. I just wanted to say a couple things and toss in a poll. It's been Tom's Island for a pretty long time and in that time a lot has changed. Tom Sawyer used to be taught in grade school. It was an introductory book that helped in a lot of ways. Over the years it was moved up, and up, and now is taught in High School or College. Kids no longer read it in school for "fun" instead it used as a specific teaching tool. It's no longer fun and games, it's a study of the economic social structure of the rural South, and is used extensively in lectures. Sad really, but alas kids no longer relate to Tom and Huck...

The "trick" is to make the island timeless. I agree with turning it into a Pirate Island, reference Jack in a removable sense. That way when his popularity wanes you can turn it into a generalized pirate island.

So the floor is open to other thoughts.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Tom's Island or Jack's Island

Jack doesn't want an island. He wants to sail
    on the sea! That's his freedom.

• Animatronic

It's a thematic mess right now. Half pirate, half lawyer ruined playground, with just a bit of Tom Sawyer. I don't mind the name. I don't mind the original concept of a cool cave filled island with a fort to protect against the indians. I do mind the remains of the lawyer ruined kiddy playground stuff which really doesn't feel like Tom Sawyer or Pirates and is horribly out of place.

Turn the tree house into a Pirate's look out, suitable for real pirates. Make castle rock more piratey or more natural. Just stop the awkward mix of kindergarden playground and realistic pirate's lair.

• Disney worshipper/geek

Angry Re: Tom's Island or Jack's Island

What I don't understand is that it was supposed to incorporate both themes, which I saw as quite possible. Keeping Fort Wilderness would have helped this. I mean, that's the beauty of Disneyland, that you can meet characters together that don't ordinarily do so.

Also, I hate that "kids don't relate to it anymore" excuse. We KNOW by now the MTV, videogames and portable DVD players have ruined a child capacity to more constructively amuse themselves. i.e. READING. We can't get most parents to simply enforce good behavior or do homework with them, you think we're gonna be able to get those parents to even hand them a copy of Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn?!?! The answer is no. Walt Disney would have seen it as an opportunity to expose the stories to people who had not read them. But the company now? Again, no. Instead, they chose to pander to the illiterate masses and give them pirates and pirates only because i'm sure it was more "cost-effective" or some other stupid phrase that Walt would have laughed at.

I'm not saying Disneyland should be a Walt Mueseum or anything. The fact of the matter is that this is a caompany based on the ideals of a man with a certain way of thinking, and the company still represents him and carries his name. This all reflects on him. It's like getting inheritance money from John Lennon and financing a new Lindsay Lohan album. Taking the easy way out for the bottom line is not something that will make ANY company stand the test of time.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• Minion

_______ island is a mess i dont even know what it is!!
    anamatronic skeleton and a pile of treasure in the forest at the back where a usually rude jack sparrow resigns!!!

its just a mess, seriously we cant fight to keep tom there, they need to completly overhaul it with pirates and make it a deeply themed rich enviornment. I dont really want to go back until phase 2.

• no flash photography...

I don't know what it should be. I went there once since the refurb and the suspension bridge was already closed. IMO it really has not changed that much. One cave had a few new elements in it. Another cave looked like a ship inside and there were a few pirate photo ops thrown around. It was ok, but I would not go there a lot. In the last 14 years I have been over there three times.

• Minion

what really really kills me is the cannibal cage ball thing.

• Animatronic

The Fort was great when it served Mountain Dew and had guns to play with and historical scenes to view. Put in a Pirate pub like in the grotto in the ride and you'll have more people hanging out there... especially if it served rum.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    what really really kills me is the cannibal cage ball thing.
    Yeah, that is really the most problematic change.
    This isn't cannibal island, so WHY is it there??????

And, Lore, yeah, bring the rum back,
    heck, even the Mt. Dew!

• Minion

maybe if they change the "uncharted lands" into some cannibal village which would absolulty kill every ounce of proper theming, get rid of the stupid cage.

• Banned User

I think the current pirate invasion is intended to be short-lived. Hopefully, Fort Wilderness will be rebuilt some day, and the theming will revert to Tom Sawyer, as it should.

I'm curious to see how this all plays out. I like the pirates, and they seem to have done a decent job with this for now, but I agree that eventually the interest in pirates will fade, and when that happens, there should be a backup plan for the island.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    The Fort was great when it served Mountain Dew and had guns to play with and historical scenes to view. Put in a Pirate pub like in the grotto in the ride and you'll have more people hanging out there... especially if it served rum.

Any cold drink over there would be great.

• Minion

NOS will one day become poor frontierland?!? no!!

• "I Break Things"

As a kid I would have loved a Pirate Island so I am kinda torn and honestly the Mill doesn't look so great when you are standing in NOS... thought about this though. If they rethemed the fort as a Spanish Fort that would fit BOTH themes. It would also cut down on upkeep due to termites which was one of the downfalls of the old fort. Sadly the entire island needs an overhaul. Prior to the refurbs it was one of my favorite spots. You could sit quietly on the back side and relax in the shade watching the Twain roll by. I also loved NOS when they had the outside tables and the cafe feel.... prior to the lights and wall to wall people.

• Minion

If it's going to be pirates, it should be called Treasure Island (much better name).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast