View Poll Results: Which Nemo do you prefer?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

30 18.52%
  • The Seas with Nemo and Friends

17 10.49%
  • I like them both

5 3.09%
  • I haven't ridden either one

56 34.57%
  • I've only ridden one, so I can't really say

54 33.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Finding Nemo vs. Finding Nemo

So after riding the subs yesterday we all got into the inevitable conversation over which was better.

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage at Disneyland or Nemo and Friends at Epcot.

Surprisingly, in our family of 4 we all discovered we actually liked the supposedly "Nemo Lite" Nemo and Friends better. And then upon talking to some other people who have ridden both, we discovered we weren't alone.

Now there may be some reasons for this:

The wait: 2 hour wait for the subs vs. maybe a 20 minute wait for Nemo and Friends.

The queue: The subs queue, as always, leaves ALOT to be desired whereas the Nemo and Friends queue is without a doubt one of my favorites. See Kevin's report on Nemo and Friends if you don't know what I'm talking about.

The ride: While I'm THRILLED beyond belief that the subs are back (it was one of my favorite attractions growing up) I don't think the Nemo story is strong enough to support a ride of that length. The 3 to 5 minute dark ride program is plenty to get the point across. There was more than one occasion yesterday where I thought it was over, but it just kind of dragged on.

The effects: The effects in the subs are top-notch. And if this is what we can expect from Imagineering for years to come then I'm VERY excited. But the effects in Nemo and Friends is nothing to shake a stick at either. Plus the ending rooms with the real fish + the Nemo fish is amazing.

The fun: Nemo and friends is definitely more light-hearted. Leaving out "Big Blue World" from the subs is IMO unforgivable. It's such a fun song and really makes the ride complete. At least play it in the queue or at the end of the ride with the inevitable wait for the sub in front of you to move.

The end verdict: The subs are a great ride. A true E-ticket and a welcome return to what is great about Disney. But personally, I would have preferred the subs to return in their original form with updated effects. No Nemo. If they wanted nemo in the park, the omnimover Nemo and Friends would have been amazing. When I hear how much they actually spent on the subs, you can see it. I just wasn't as impressed as I should have been. I don't think Nemo at Epcot is an E-ticket, but I don't think Nemo deserved an E-ticket. Having that story on a D-ticket attraction like so many D-ticket dark rides before it would have been sufficient.

Will I ride the subs again, absolutely. Is it a great ride, absolutely. I would wait 30 to 45 minutes for the ride, but that's probably about it.

EDIT: Looks like Kevin's article on Nemo has been archived. But let's just say the queue is better and leave it at that.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 06-25-2007 at 03:00 PM.

• If We Can Dream It...

Re: Finding Nemo vs. Finding Nemo

Well, hopefully in the next year or two, I'll be able to finally ride the subs!

I really liked TSN&F. I was the odd man out in my group though, everyone else thought it was too kiddie-fied. Maybe someday, I'll be able to compare the two.
    - Horizonsfan

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92 View Post
    Well, hopefully in the next year or two, I'll be able to finally ride the subs!

I really liked TSN&F. I was the odd man out in my group though, everyone else thought it was too kiddie-fied. Maybe someday, I'll be able to compare the two.
    But IMO, Nemo (and every other animated movie) should have a kiddie-fied ride to go with it. Not a 15-minute ride with more endings than Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.

• is too darn hot.

Putting "Big Blue World" in the subs is unforgivable, imo, as it's the song for the original attraction at Epcot. It should stay there.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The ride: While I'm THRILLED beyond belief that the subs are back (it was one of my favorite attractions growing up) I don't think the Nemo story is strong enough to support a ride of that length. The 3 to 5 minute dark ride program is plenty to get the point across. There was more than one occasion yesterday where I thought it was over, but it just kind of dragged on.
    (BOLD mine)I agree 100%. In addition, the reliance on the 'hydrophones' argument to thematically support the inclusion of Nemo in Tomorrowland reminds me of this picture:

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    (BOLD mine)I agree 100%. In addition, the reliance on the 'hydrophones' argument to thematically support the inclusion of Nemo in Tomorrowland reminds me of this picture:

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    The picture illustrates what happens when too much weight is placed on a inadequate frame--it goes nowhere.
    The weight= the 'Nemo' theme as it relates to TL
    The inadequate frame= the 'hydrophones/fish talk' argument
    Get it?

• Minion

The picture illustrates what happens when too much weight is placed on a inadequate frame--it goes nowhere.
    Get it?
    gotcha
    i agree

i think

• is too darn hot.

Get it?
    I understand now. I had a moment of stupid. Hey, at least they tried.

• Minion

i bet the hydrophones was last minute after them reading countless micechat threads saying nemo wont fit

hahah

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    gotcha
    i agree

i think

**note to self: no more weight-distribution metaphors**

• missing the DisneyGallery

Nemo and Friends was surprisingly good. I say surprisingly because all of the recent "new" (or replacement of old stuff) attractions at WDW have been, with a few exceptions, disappointing. I have to say that I was a big fan of TLS before the change and so I was sad to see the movie The Sea's, and the hydrolaters go.

However, only 25 days until I get to experience the subs, not that I'm counting.

When attractions were original

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

I will come out and say it. I completely agree with Sir Clinksalot in every statement he made.

The seas with Nemo and Friends was short and VERY sweet.

The Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is, unfortunately, an overlong children's ride that somehow lost the novelty of the original Submarine voyage by substituting the majority of its animatronics for flat digital projections and by using a storyline that is nearly a scene for scene retelling of the movie.

There are good points though don't get me wrong. To see the Subs again is just a joy. To be able to get into them and ride again is a wonderful wish granted. The subs are electric now, no nasty fumes. The sub vehicles sport wonderful sound and on ride effects like lightning, rocking and strobes that it never had before.

I think the biggest problem I have is that it is The Nemo Ride featuring Subs instead of The Subs featuring Nemo.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

Considering the subs just opened 2 weeks ago, I don't think you will have very many people who have ridden both or even 1. Try asking in a year or so and you'll get a better answer.
    Love WoC!!!

Next DL trip: August 2011

"What do you mean we can't get rid of those weeds in time? Then go over there and put some fancy signs with Latin names in front of them."
    -Walt Disney

• Again! Again! Again!

I would have to agree with Sir Clinksalot. I would have rather had the subs redone and a separate Nemo ride. There just seems to be more to the one at EPCOT including the queue. That really gets you all in the mood for the ride. The theming is fantastic.

On the other hand, the subs are the subs and the fact that they are back...well, it does geek me out a little. So the fact they added Nemo to it....good enough. Although the story seems to end right in the middle of the ride, but then keeps going. It's a little confusing.

I think the subs are cute. The ride it a little long for a whole Nemo story. But I still enjoyed it. Yeah, I wouldn't wait long for them, but I will definitely ride them again. It's the subs dude!!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast