Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Developing New Stories and Shows to Eliminate Redundancies

Before he died in 1966, Walt Disney described Walt Disney World as being different from Disneyland. Guests would not only have the chance to visit Cinderella Castle, but they would also be able to experience one-of-a-kind attractions that could only be found at this new place.

When it eventually did open to the world in 1971, The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, unfortunately, had duplicates of most of the attractions with which guests were already familiar through the original Disneyland, so the new kingdom really wasn't very different at all.

Under Michael Eisner and Paul Pressler over the last decade, the situation worsened as more and more attractions were duplicated in order to realize cost savings that have proved elusive in most cases. In the process, Disney's five international travel destinations cannibalized each other's business and cheapened The Magic Kingdoms of Disneyland, as a whole.

In order to reverse this problem and in order to better differentiate The Magic Kingdoms from each other, one-of-a-kind, exclusive attractions should replace some of the existing duplicates.

First, which duplicates are the weakest and, as such, justify their own closures? And, second, what new stories and shows can be developed to replace these attractions and, thereby, draw more guests from around the world? (Ride systems and other expensive and permanent fixtures can be retained and used in different contexts while all other show equipment can be consolidated for use at the remaining version of each attraction.)

The objective is to create exclusive attractions that can persuade people to travel greater distances and to do so more frequently.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 06-26-2007 at 06:20 AM.

Re: Developing New Stories and Shows to Eliminate Redundancies

A good example is Winnie the Pooh at Tokyo Disneyland. The Pooh's Hunny Hunt attraction there is so vastly superior to the comparable Pooh experiences that they can all be reconfigured to present their own exclusive stories and shows that have nothing to do with that silly old bear.

If Tokyo Disneyland has not just the definitive Winnie the Pooh attraction but the only Winnie the Pooh attraction in the world, that fact could provide more impetus for people to vacation in Japan. Each of The Magic Kingdoms needs to develop an air of exclusivity in order to find faster earnings growth.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 06-26-2007 at 06:30 AM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    If Tokyo Disneyland has not just the definitive Winnie the Pooh attraction but the only Winnie the Pooh attraction in the world, that fact could provide more impetus for people to vacation in Japan. Each of The Magic Kingdoms needs to develop an air of exclusivity in order to find faster earnings growth.
    PI, with all due respect, if someone bases a vacation to Japan because that is the only place they can ride a Winnie the Pooh attraction, then this person has some serious problems...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    PI, with all due respect, if someone bases a vacation to Japan because that is the only place they can ride a Winnie the Pooh attraction, then this person has some serious problems...
    You'll get no arguments from me on that point.

What would you like to see replace the Pooh attractions in Disneyland and Walt Disney World?

In the past, BlueSkyDriveBy has mentioned canoeing with Pocahontas for California's undulating ride system.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 06-27-2007 at 05:44 AM.

• missing the DisneyGallery

What would you like to see replace the Pooh attractions ..... (at) Walt Disney World? .
    Bring back Mr. Toad. It was better than DL's version because it had two different sides, each having a different storyline, making it essentially two different attractions about the same subject.

When attractions were original

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

A good example is Winnie the Pooh at Tokyo Disneyland. The Pooh's Hunny Hunt attraction there is so vastly superior to the comparable Pooh experiences that they can all be reconfigured to present their own exclusive stories and shows that have nothing to do with that silly old bear.

(BOLD mine) If one has trouble imagining travelling half-way 'round the World (for some) to experience one attraction, consider the motivation by offering two unique atractions; or three; or an entire Park full. I would travel to see that.

Prag brings up a great point here regarding the duplication of attractions for 'convenience' sake. As I have stated in other threads, giving the Public 'what it wants' is not always (seldom?) the best strategy. To set trends, one must show the Public what it wants, create the want; not subscribe to a business model devoted to answering the demands of a capricious and fickle "public".

The hasty addition of a truncated 'Pirates of the Caribbean' in WDW was the result of supplying the public's demand, and ended up creating an inferior copy of the original--different in small ways, but (on the whole) viewed as a diluted and degraded attraction, in comparison to its model. I have heard such rumblings regarding the HM as well.

Why does Disney feel obligated to franchise their popular attractions this way? It is no surprise that McDonald's and Starbucks are so popular. McDonald's meals are almost-universally garbage, and Starbucks offerings are liquid sugar; but, they are convenient, on every corner; who cares if it's good? It is safe, and familiar, and easily accessible (therefore cheapened).

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    (BOLD mine) If one has trouble imagining travelling half-way 'round the World (for some) to experience one attraction, consider the motivation by offering two unique atractions; or three; or an entire Park full. I would travel to see that.
    The true strength of Tokyo Disney Sea is in the fact that very few of the attractions there are duplicates. I'm curious to know the degree to which that fact has changed the composition of the guests Tokyo Disney Resort attracts now.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 06-26-2007 at 02:36 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi96 View Post
    Bring back Mr. Toad. It was better than DL's version because it had two different sides, each having a different storyline, making it essentially two different attractions about the same subject.

I agree, bring back Mr. Toad, bring back Mr. Toad, bring back Mr. Toad. At least I have a version of my beloved ride at DL.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    If one has trouble imagining travelling half-way 'round the World (for some) to experience one attraction, consider the motivation by offering two unique atractions; or three; or an entire Park full. I would travel to see that.

Prag brings up a great point here regarding the duplication of attractions for 'convenience' sake. As I have stated in other threads, giving the Public 'what it wants' is not always (seldom?) the best strategy. To set trends, one must show the Public what it wants, create the want; not subscribe to a business model devoted to answering the demands of a capricious and fickle "public".

Why does Disney feel obligated to franchise their popular attractions this way? It is no surprise that McDonald's and Starbucks are so popular. McDonald's meals are almost-universally garbage, and Starbucks offerings are liquid sugar; but, they are convenient, on every corner; who cares if it's good? It is safe, and familiar, and easily accessible (therefore cheapened).
    Excellent! This is why I was so opposed to the Disney Parks thing. It seeks to make all the parks seem equal and common to each other. Now there is no reason for you to travel to Paris, you have a Disney Park near you in California. They need to market and make each park its own, separate entity. Make DLRP so different and unique that you absolutely want to go there to see it. Make WDW's MK so different from DL that you must go and see it as well.

I don't mind duplicating ride ideas between parks. Having a Pooh ride in TDL and DLR and a Buzz ride in DL and DLRP and a Soarin in DL and WDW, etc. Don't give each ride to each park. Mix and match and make the versions so different from each other that you feel a need to ride on both. Or better still, come up with a whole new, unique story to use that same technology and put some twists on it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Well here's an idea, since everybody's on a Mr. Toad kick. I say we need the other half of that series - an Ichabod Crane dark ride! I also like the "canoeing (sp?) with Pocahontas" idea mentioned earlier. I've never been able to go anywhere other than the Cali parks, so I'm no good at saying what should go from the others, but in general, I think a few of the old dark rides (Pinochio) that were only there to advertise the film in the first place could make way for some other films that never got a ride (Lady & the Tramp? Jungle Book? Robin Hood? I could go on)
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    Well here's an idea, since everybody's on a Mr. Toad kick. I say we need the other half of that series - an Ichabod Crane dark ride! I also like the "canoeing (sp?) with Pocahontas" idea mentioned earlier. I've never been able to go anywhere other than the Cali parks, so I'm no good at saying what should go from the others, but in general, I think a few of the old dark rides (Pinochio) that were only there to advertise the film in the first place could make way for some other films that never got a ride (Lady & the Tramp? Jungle Book? Robin Hood? I could go on)
    If I'm not mistaken, a Sleepy Hollow attraction was one of those one-of-a-kind attraction concepts that was considered for Walt Disney World, originally.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 06-27-2007 at 05:45 AM.

I think the fact is that Disney wants you to go to Disney World. When you go to WDW, you stay a week and have to pretty much stay in their hotels and eat at all of their restaurants. When you go to one of their other resorts, you stay 2-3 days, maybe stay in their hotels, and eat some meals not at Disney establishments. At least this is the case for Disneyland... haven't been to Tokyo, Paris, or Hong Kong (where I imagine 1 day is enough!)

I think Disney views the smaller resorts as local substitutes for people not being able to afford to fly to WDW. Because if they could, Disney would definitely want everyone in Florida. Think about how Disneyland is advertised in just California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, and Nevada. That's about it. The rest of the country gets WDW advertising.

Sad, really.

But I agree with you and wish that each park were unique.

• a wind to shake the stars

I don't have a problem with attraction duplication.

Disney is a business, and unfortunately that means they have to act like one. If you need three new attractions at three different parks throughout the world, why not build the same one? You save heaps on engineering and designing a completely new attraction for each park and the overlap is really minimal. Only a small number of people will ever go to two of the parks (WDW and DL or DL and TDS or whatever), so there's really no reason to not have redundant attractions.

Would I like every ride to be completely new and specific to its park? Sure. Is that practical? Not at all.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    I don't have a problem with attraction duplication.

Disney is a business, and unfortunately that means they have to act like one. If you need three new attractions at three different parks throughout the world, why not build the same one? You save heaps on engineering and designing a completely new attraction for each park and the overlap is really minimal. Only a small number of people will ever go to two of the parks (WDW and DL or DL and TDS or whatever), so there's really no reason to not have redundant attractions.

Would I like every ride to be completely new and specific to its park? Sure. Is that practical? Not at all.

All this buisness crap is what is creatively hurting Disney.

The point being made in this thread however is that by making each park unique and by not duplicating the attractions, Disney can increase its profits by making each destination unique. This will make customers want to travel not to only one Disney park, but insetad to travel to every Disney park, increasing profits.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast