Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skyway

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Skyway

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Doesn't SeaWorld still have Sky Buckets? I know you have to pay to ride them, but if those can pass safety standards than I'm sure Disney Could pass Safety Standards...

Didn't someone attempt to jump out of a Skyway bucket back in the day and fall into a tree or something? I remember hearing something like a failed suicide attempt.
    More like a "failed" lawsuit attempt I suspect.

The issue of safety can easily be addressed with plexiglass(as is done at on the Skyway at the Trees of Mystery in Northern Cal.)---See Below for link. The fact of the matter is though it has nothing to do with people spitting or dropping things from the buckets, safety, or lawsuits and everything to do with the fact that like the KeelBoats, MotorBoat Cruise, Fort Wilderness, and even the Subs of old it was a reletively minor attraction not bringing in any revenue(ie. no one based their trips to Disneyland on whether or not they could ride the Skyway BUT when the park operated on a pay-per-play system-(D Ticket) it DID bring in money) and therefore closed to save a few bucks

http://www.treesofmystery.net/
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Hillary scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Doesn't SeaWorld still have Sky Buckets? I know you have to pay to ride them, but if those can pass safety standards than I'm sure Disney Could pass Safety Standards...

Didn't someone attempt to jump out of a Skyway bucket back in the day and fall into a tree or something? I remember hearing something like a failed suicide attempt.

SeaWorld AND the San Diego Zoo have skyways

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    I heard it was because it wasn't wheelchair accessible and in order to make it wheelchair accessible it would have cost a fortune.
    Just a myth. Think about it, ADA would have grandfathered it in the first place, just like Main Street Train Station, and 2nd, Screamin' is MUCH newer, and persons confined to a WC can't ride...

Truth is, maintenance was too much to be able justifying the ride itself.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Yeti Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post

Also, the Skyway:
    I'm glad the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk still has it's skyway, but there's not really much to see that you can't see from the ground. And it doesn't beat going through the Matterhorn on a cold night and glimpsing a yeti over your shoulder.

I have a feeling that one day the skyway might return, but that will be several management changes away. It'll take a few more attraction re-christenings like the Subs, and an eventual Peoplemover replacement that will show them that Disneyland needs its D tickets too.

• Hillary scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Just a myth. Think about it, ADA would have grandfathered it in the first place, just like Main Street Train Station, and 2nd, Screamin' is MUCH newer, and persons confined to a WC can't ride...

Truth is, maintenance was too much to be able justifying the ride itself.
    There is NO "grandfather clause" in the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Places of public accommodation must do what is readily achievable in removing existing architectural barriers and communication barriers that are structural in nature to persons with disabilities.

If barrier removal is not readily achievable because it would result in a fundamental alteration in the goods or services offered by a public accommodation or in an undue burden, the public accommodation shall make its services or accommodations available through alternative methods (i.e. Finding Nemo alternative viewing room).

There is no basis to anything you wrote.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaaron View Post
    There is NO "grandfather clause" in the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Places of public accommodation must do what is readily achievable in removing existing architectural barriers and communication barriers that are structural in nature to persons with disabilities.

If barrier removal is not readily achievable because it would result in a fundamental alteration in the goods or services offered by a public accommodation or in an undue burden, the public accommodation shall make its services or accommodations available through alternative methods (i.e. Finding Nemo alternative viewing room).

There is no basis to anything you wrote.
    I'm not saying you're right or you're wrong, but I do have a question. If this is so, then as somebody else posted, how would you defend your post for disabled persons wanting to experience California Screamin'?

...Joe...

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    I dropped a lollipop on someone's head once.
    $%#)%@!!! That was YOU?

• Hillary scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    I'm not saying you're right or you're wrong, but I do have a question. If this is so, then as somebody else posted, how would you defend your post for disabled persons wanting to experience California Screamin'?

...Joe...

I'm not claiming to be an expert on the ADA. If you want to know the answer to that, research it.

But it's not a question whether I'm right or wrong. It's a fact that there is no grandfather clause in the ADA. There are allowances for historical buildings and other public accommodations (an amusement park is considered to be such in the eyes of this law) where it would cause "an undue burden" to comply. And in that case, alternative accommodations must be provided.

Question Re: Skyway

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaaron View Post
    I'm not claiming to be an expert on the ADA. If you want to know the answer to that, research it.

But it's not a question whether I'm right or wrong. It's a fact that there is no grandfather clause in the ADA. There are allowances for historical buildings and other public accommodations (an amusement park is considered to be such in the eyes of this law) where it would cause "an undue burden" to comply. And in that case, alternative accommodations must be provided.
    I never made a claim that I thought you were. I was simply asking out of curiosity. To be honest these types of things have always intrigued me. I was just looking for an answer. I just figured since you were the one who was letting us know about the laws you may have some insight into how someone confined to a wheelchair could be able to experience California Screamin'.

So, for a better sake of words, how would you ASSUME/GUESS that Disney is able to pull this off?

...Joe...

If it was closed because people had the potential to jump, there are enclosed gondolas that could have been used to prevent this. We had this type at Wonderland in Sydney Australia...They were only marginally bigger than the Sky Buckets & could've gone through the Matterhorn... I think the cost factor was the main thing, such a shame really.

• Sock Puppet

i have new idea of new skyway concept

Bring the originals back and restore the loading stations and make sure the wires r up to date

• Minion

From what I remember reading about the Skyway and making it wheelchair accessible they would have to make the gondolas large enough to accomodate a wheelchair and if you enlarged the gondolas you would have to enlarge the holes in the Matterhorn or go around it which would make the ride totally lame. None of this mattered because even if they DID make the gondolas large enough, the gondola would need to stop at the station in order for the wheelchair to be fastened to the gondola. Those of you who remember the attraction remember that it was a non stop attracton with gondolas in constant motion. It would create huge lines if they had to stop the attraction ever few minutes to let a wheelchair onboard.

Well they managed to get around this with the Finding nemo ride as wheelchairs just can't go down into the subs. Why couldn't they do a similar thing for the Skyway? Please excuse my ignorance but is there some law in the USA that compels them to make it wheelchair accessable?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDoll View Post
    Well they managed to get around this with the Finding nemo ride as wheelchairs just can't go down into the subs. Why couldn't they do a similar thing for the Skyway? Please excuse my ignorance but is there some law in the USA that compels them to make it wheelchair accessable?
    I think the main difference here is that with the new sub ride the wheelchair thing is only an observation deck. They don't actually get to experience the entirety of the ride.

There's really no way to do this with the Skyway. Sure, they could build an alternate route for wheelchair gondolas to go on around the Matterhorn, but seriously, that would cost way more than it's worth.

...Joe...

• Sock Puppet

if people have wheelchairs what the point of the skyway for them if they can roll across the park faster then anybody else

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast