Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 59

Thread: Skyway

  1. #16

    •   
    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Skyway

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Doesn't SeaWorld still have Sky Buckets? I know you have to pay to ride them, but if those can pass safety standards than I'm sure Disney Could pass Safety Standards...

    Didn't someone attempt to jump out of a Skyway bucket back in the day and fall into a tree or something? I remember hearing something like a failed suicide attempt.
    More like a "failed" lawsuit attempt I suspect.

    The issue of safety can easily be addressed with plexiglass(as is done at on the Skyway at the Trees of Mystery in Northern Cal.)---See Below for link. The fact of the matter is though it has nothing to do with people spitting or dropping things from the buckets, safety, or lawsuits and everything to do with the fact that like the KeelBoats, MotorBoat Cruise, Fort Wilderness, and even the Subs of old it was a reletively minor attraction not bringing in any revenue(ie. no one based their trips to Disneyland on whether or not they could ride the Skyway BUT when the park operated on a pay-per-play system-(D Ticket) it DID bring in money) and therefore closed to save a few bucks


    http://www.treesofmystery.net/
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

  2. #17

    • Hillary scares me.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    244

    Re: Skyway

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Doesn't SeaWorld still have Sky Buckets? I know you have to pay to ride them, but if those can pass safety standards than I'm sure Disney Could pass Safety Standards...

    Didn't someone attempt to jump out of a Skyway bucket back in the day and fall into a tree or something? I remember hearing something like a failed suicide attempt.

    SeaWorld AND the San Diego Zoo have skyways

  3. #18

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,381

    Re: Skyway

    Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    I heard it was because it wasn't wheelchair accessible and in order to make it wheelchair accessible it would have cost a fortune.
    Just a myth. Think about it, ADA would have grandfathered it in the first place, just like Main Street Train Station, and 2nd, Screamin' is MUCH newer, and persons confined to a WC can't ride...

    Truth is, maintenance was too much to be able justifying the ride itself.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  4. #19

    • Yeti Enthusiast
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    553

    Re: Skyway

    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post

    Also, the Skyway:
    I'm glad the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk still has it's skyway, but there's not really much to see that you can't see from the ground. And it doesn't beat going through the Matterhorn on a cold night and glimpsing a yeti over your shoulder.

    I have a feeling that one day the skyway might return, but that will be several management changes away. It'll take a few more attraction re-christenings like the Subs, and an eventual Peoplemover replacement that will show them that Disneyland needs its D tickets too.

  5. #20

    • Hillary scares me.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    244

    Re: Skyway

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Just a myth. Think about it, ADA would have grandfathered it in the first place, just like Main Street Train Station, and 2nd, Screamin' is MUCH newer, and persons confined to a WC can't ride...

    Truth is, maintenance was too much to be able justifying the ride itself.
    There is NO "grandfather clause" in the Americans with Disabilities Act.

    Places of public accommodation must do what is readily achievable in removing existing architectural barriers and communication barriers that are structural in nature to persons with disabilities.

    If barrier removal is not readily achievable because it would result in a fundamental alteration in the goods or services offered by a public accommodation or in an undue burden, the public accommodation shall make its services or accommodations available through alternative methods (i.e. Finding Nemo alternative viewing room).

    There is no basis to anything you wrote.

  6. #21

    • Don't Mess With The Duck!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, California - USA
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Skyway

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisaaron View Post
    There is NO "grandfather clause" in the Americans with Disabilities Act.

    Places of public accommodation must do what is readily achievable in removing existing architectural barriers and communication barriers that are structural in nature to persons with disabilities.

    If barrier removal is not readily achievable because it would result in a fundamental alteration in the goods or services offered by a public accommodation or in an undue burden, the public accommodation shall make its services or accommodations available through alternative methods (i.e. Finding Nemo alternative viewing room).

    There is no basis to anything you wrote.
    I'm not saying you're right or you're wrong, but I do have a question. If this is so, then as somebody else posted, how would you defend your post for disabled persons wanting to experience California Screamin'?

    ...Joe...

  7. #22

    • Inhospitable about happy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,479

    Re: Skyway

    Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    I dropped a lollipop on someone's head once.
    $%#)%@!!! That was YOU?

  8. #23

    • Hillary scares me.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    244

    Re: Skyway

    Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    I'm not saying you're right or you're wrong, but I do have a question. If this is so, then as somebody else posted, how would you defend your post for disabled persons wanting to experience California Screamin'?

    ...Joe...

    I'm not claiming to be an expert on the ADA. If you want to know the answer to that, research it.

    But it's not a question whether I'm right or wrong. It's a fact that there is no grandfather clause in the ADA. There are allowances for historical buildings and other public accommodations (an amusement park is considered to be such in the eyes of this law) where it would cause "an undue burden" to comply. And in that case, alternative accommodations must be provided.

  9. #24

    • Don't Mess With The Duck!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, California - USA
    Posts
    3,594

    Question Re: Skyway

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisaaron View Post
    I'm not claiming to be an expert on the ADA. If you want to know the answer to that, research it.

    But it's not a question whether I'm right or wrong. It's a fact that there is no grandfather clause in the ADA. There are allowances for historical buildings and other public accommodations (an amusement park is considered to be such in the eyes of this law) where it would cause "an undue burden" to comply. And in that case, alternative accommodations must be provided.
    I never made a claim that I thought you were. I was simply asking out of curiosity. To be honest these types of things have always intrigued me. I was just looking for an answer. I just figured since you were the one who was letting us know about the laws you may have some insight into how someone confined to a wheelchair could be able to experience California Screamin'.

    So, for a better sake of words, how would you ASSUME/GUESS that Disney is able to pull this off?

    ...Joe...

  10. #25

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18

    Re: Skyway

    If it was closed because people had the potential to jump, there are enclosed gondolas that could have been used to prevent this. We had this type at Wonderland in Sydney Australia...They were only marginally bigger than the Sky Buckets & could've gone through the Matterhorn... I think the cost factor was the main thing, such a shame really.

  11. #26

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,662

    Re: Skyway

    i have new idea of new skyway concept

    Bring the originals back and restore the loading stations and make sure the wires r up to date

  12. #27

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Bernardino Mountains
    Posts
    1,278

    Re: Skyway

    From what I remember reading about the Skyway and making it wheelchair accessible they would have to make the gondolas large enough to accomodate a wheelchair and if you enlarged the gondolas you would have to enlarge the holes in the Matterhorn or go around it which would make the ride totally lame. None of this mattered because even if they DID make the gondolas large enough, the gondola would need to stop at the station in order for the wheelchair to be fastened to the gondola. Those of you who remember the attraction remember that it was a non stop attracton with gondolas in constant motion. It would create huge lines if they had to stop the attraction ever few minutes to let a wheelchair onboard.

  13. #28

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18

    Re: Skyway

    Well they managed to get around this with the Finding nemo ride as wheelchairs just can't go down into the subs. Why couldn't they do a similar thing for the Skyway? Please excuse my ignorance but is there some law in the USA that compels them to make it wheelchair accessable?

  14. #29

    • Don't Mess With The Duck!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, California - USA
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Skyway

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDoll View Post
    Well they managed to get around this with the Finding nemo ride as wheelchairs just can't go down into the subs. Why couldn't they do a similar thing for the Skyway? Please excuse my ignorance but is there some law in the USA that compels them to make it wheelchair accessable?
    I think the main difference here is that with the new sub ride the wheelchair thing is only an observation deck. They don't actually get to experience the entirety of the ride.

    There's really no way to do this with the Skyway. Sure, they could build an alternate route for wheelchair gondolas to go on around the Matterhorn, but seriously, that would cost way more than it's worth.

    ...Joe...

  15. #30

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,662

    Re: Skyway

    if people have wheelchairs what the point of the skyway for them if they can roll across the park faster then anybody else

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Skyway Chalet: PFF
    By Eric5675 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 07:29 AM
  2. [Question] Why can't we have the Skyway again?
    By WendyBird in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 09:07 PM
  3. [Question] Skyway
    By JasonW in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 09:51 PM
  4. The Skyway...
    By Disneyland's#1fan! in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 07:26 PM
  5. Skyway to DCA
    By merlinjones in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 11:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •