• "I Break Things"

House of Tomorrow and Innoventions of Today

I wasn't old enough to actually see House of Tomorrow... but I have pored over the pictures and articles surrounding it. From what I can gather it was jam packed with state of the art Jetson's type stuff, giving people an optimistic glimpse of the future. Too bad it wasn't kept up to date.

I haven't been to Innoventions in a long time. For me there is something about the shape of the building that just screams "Bucket'o'chicken". I keep wondering how we went from an amazing architectural feat to the Colonel's best. Just me.

All laughs aside doesn't Innoventions tell the same story in a tradeshow sort of way that our beloved house did years before. I was fortunate enough to attend Infocomm this year... technology has come a long way. They could pack Innoventions full of the latest technology, like a giant rotating kid's science museum. Don't just show us the products... tell us the science behind them and teach the kids how they work. Touchpanels, lasers, you could devote a section to the race for the X-Prize (prize for first commercial flight in space). Solar technology... there is a lot out there. Again I haven't been in a while (1-1 1/2yrs) so I am expecting to get yelled at, but I just think it could, and should, be so much more.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Re: House of Tomorrow and Innoventions of Today

"Bucket'o'chicken"
    Could have something to do with its previous occupation?

I agree with you. It should be less of an infomercial and more of the science and wonder. The problem is to find a sponsor that will keep the show up to date. Which has been the problem with Tomorrowland's similar expos since 1955. We'll have to see what Microcruft + Seimens will do with it, personally I don't think MS has the vision and forethought to do it "properly".
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• When Will It Return?

I'm surprised Microsoft's putting itself out there like that. Just gives a huge target for all the Mac fanboys out there.

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    I'm surprised Microsoft's putting itself out there like that. Just gives a huge target for all the Mac fanboys out there.
    *rolls eyes* Just imagineer if the the reverse were true; If Apple sponsored it, it would be all functional, shiny and white... but not very interesting. Microsoft will make it clunky, ugly, mostly functional but prone to 101ing a lot. Or if the Linux community sponsored it, it would be a confused mess of conflicting ideas that would cause the rotating stage to go in both directions simultaneously, require guests to either read a very thick manual or help each other out (as there'd be no CMs), but amazingly would work

I was speaking more to Microsoft's corporate culture being the exact opposite to the bluesky Imagineer Disney culture. Microsoft don't tend to imagine much.
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It would be an interesting thing to do. I am afraid that the locals -- especially us Orange Countians -- would still not be interested as it looks like it would be a close duplicate of the Discovery Science Center a coulpe miles to the south in Santa Ana.

I personally would be interested in this concept, but I am not sure it will make Innoventions any more popular than it is now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I personally would be interested in this concept, but I am not sure it will make Innoventions any more popular than it is now.
    Oh well, just rip it all out and replace with with an automatic rotating in Park dual layer car park. YES? Come on you know you want it.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Oh well, just rip it all out and replace with with an automatic rotating in Park dual layer car park. YES? Come on you know you want it.
    Well...

I wouldn't want the place ripped out. Rip out Splash Mountain and put those AA's back where they belong! (OK. Let me duck before the bullets start flying! Just kidding, you all!)

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Well...

I wouldn't want the place ripped out. Rip out Splash Mountain and put those AA's back where they belong! (OK. Let me duck before the bullets start flying! Just kidding, you all!)
    Even though you kid, I would love to see Splash removed, with all of Critter Country--expand Frontierland, create a Western River Expedition for the water-ride nuts, and build an America Sings! type stage attraction using animal AA's in Fantasyland where the Princess Fantasy Faire used to reside (after I ripped it out). Opening up the space for Innoventions; and why not: tear out Autopia and parcel it onto the Innoventions space for a new attraction that has something to do with Tomorrowland, for a change.

...sorry about Splash, but if you wanna make an omelet...

• "I Break Things"

Talking Re: House of Tomorrow and Innoventions of Today

I realize locals would say "We have Kid's Discovery Cube" but honestly if it's futuristic stuff it belongs in TL and Disney can do it better. I thought about this so here goes.

What Innoventions Needs:

Touchpanel Technology... definately wave of the future... Iphone is already starting to prove that. For actual working touchpanels Crestron or AMX comes to mind. Crestron currently supports Disney so a sponsorship would not be a far stretch.

Solar Panels and Lighting effecincy- You could cite examples in park, as well as the what it is how it works section.

Bio Fuels/Electric Cars- Chevron sponsored Autopia a while back. and Honda had it's sponsorship as well. If you had 2 booths you could technically have a comparable list to decide for yourself what you thought was better. What would have been better would have been to keep the Autopia's seperate and use one technology for each... but I guess you could use one track for each.

X-Prize, the award given for the first private commercial spacecraft. This SCREAMS TL. If they could drag in NASA that would be even better.

Autonomous Robots- There is a competition the military holds every year. The challenge is to design a car that can drive itself through an obstacle course. Lexus has a car that can park itself. Mars Rover is another example... so there are plenty out there.

Biometric Robotics- The Bionic Man was a huge hit as a Tv show, now some War Vets have that technology in their prosthetic limbs. Someone else is developing technology for the blind to see, as well as for the deaf to hear. I can't think of a better example of Technology working for the benefit of all. Plenty of sponsors for this one.

I guess I do imagine a sort of Technology Science Center... but the main difference is Cube is more antiquated and this would be cutting edge technology. I would prefer it to be in a constant state of change, every 6 months or possibly a year if it was a popular exhibit. Just the random thoughts of a deranged mind.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Evaporate, tall person!

I live in the Inland Empire of Southern California..
    Blog Entries

I love that idea..

I went yesterday and all it pretty much was is a big arcade of video games upstairs..

That doesnt' seem very "innoventive" to me..

DISNEYLAND: It even makes science geeks look cool!!