Does DL still have a glassblower?

As a youngster in the 70's, I used to love to watch the glassblower in that little glass giftshop in SB's Castle. Never mind that my mom always warned me not to stare too much at the flame, but I just found watching this guy's work to be fascinating. They also had that beautiful glass-blown castle as a decoration. If my memory serves me correctly, the glassblower's shop was moved to Main Street at some point and wasn't there a glassblower's shop in NOS for a time?

Anybody else have memories of the glassblower?

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Does DL still have a glassblower?

Absolutely. The Glass-Sculptors were my favorite non-attraction attraction (if that makes sense). Fascinating to watch them twist that molten glass around and create those beautiful shapes--their dragons were THE BEST!!

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

We were just discussing this when we were there last week! I loved cinderella's coach they used to make. It was beautiful!
    "To ALL who come to this happy place, Welcome" Walt Disney

All means ALL

I do remember this. Well, the one on Main Street, anyways.....and with very fond memories. My parents once purchased a little something for me from there. My mom broke it years later (and blamed my cat). I was so bummed. Yip, I really enjoyed going to that place; it is probably the most memorable location on Main Street from my little girl years.
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• Old Timer

The last place I saw glassblowing was in the glass shop in NOS. However, I haven't paid enough attention to know whether or not they still do it there. They are the same people who run the shop on Main Street and they also have a shop next to the Lost Bar where I have also seen glassblowing.

• my two sunshines

Your right, started on Main Street then went to NOS - I don't think that the glass blower is there anymore - but then it's changed sooooo much a lot of the original ambiance and really cool stuff is gone - what we need is a YesterYear part of the park - where all the cool stores, rides and such need to retire and all us old people go and enjoy the YesterYear park!

• Fastest Man Alive

No glassblowing. There are two Arribas Bros. crystal shops though (Main Street, and New Orleans Square) that do glass etching but that's about as close as your going to get.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Head to Knott's Berry Farm, they still do real Glass Blowing there, making the same type of stuff as you used to find on Main Street.

It is located next to the Pan for Gold area in Ghost Town.

Another really neat artisan is the guy who takes coins and cuts out parts to convert them into jewelry. Amazing stuff, and reasonable prices. (He uses US and Foreigh coins, some with gold highlights, and even real gold coins if you ask him to (he takes orders). Of course, the Real Gold coins don't come cheap He is located near the Ghost Town Grill.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • Proud Nerdist

Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen4jc View Post
    As a youngster in the 70's, I used to love to watch the glassblower in that little glass giftshop in SB's Castle. Never mind that my mom always warned me not to stare too much at the flame, but I just found watching this guy's work to be fascinating. They also had that beautiful glass-blown castle as a decoration. If my memory serves me correctly, the glassblower's shop was moved to Main Street at some point and wasn't there a glassblower's shop in NOS for a time?

Anybody else have memories of the glassblower?
    Oh god yes, I remember as a little kid watching them in the 60's and 70's too. My mom bought me a little something each time and I loved the fact that it was made "special" just for me (ok yeah, so he cranked out 35,000 of them. When you're 10 you're not thinking that way <g>)

I rememeber specifically him working on a cinderella's coach. Good memory <g>
    Last edited by ktfaye; 06-29-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Oh those were the good 'ol days of DisneyLand, Glass blowing, a real penny arcade (and not just a few penny devices in a candy store)
    Those were the days,

But seriously as DarkBeer stated. Knotts still has lots of real crafts created live and in the flesh. Cedar Point in Ohio (the same company which owns Knotts) also has a wonderfull live glass blowing shop/show where you can watch the glass being blown right before you. It really is neat. They also have wood shops and all sorts of other shops with arts and crafts made infront of you. It sure is a throw back to the "good 'ol days!"

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

*snickers* Glass blowing. That just cracks my inner 7th grader up. Every time.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/