Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

iPods/Cells are an obsession

I went to Disneyland last Tuesday. I got in line for Space Mountain where it listed a 60 minute wait. I was behind a group of, let's say high school/college freshmen kids. Anyway, they weren't obnoxious or anything, but one girls spent the whole time talking on her phone. I have no problem with that. If you're in a long line, talking on the phone passes the time. But when we got inside the loading platform, she was still talking on the phone. Finally when we got on in the Rockets, she was still on the phone. I thought, "Are you really going to talk the whole time?" She did hang up in the systems check area. But then, she takes out an iPod, puts both head phones into both ears and starts listening to her music. I don't understand, you waited in a 60+ minute line just to listen to your iPod, when you can do that anytime in the world? I thought, "what a waste of time."
    Anyway, I thought it was dumb.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Re: iPods/Cells are an obsession

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace View Post
    I don't understand, you waited in a 60+ minute line just to listen to your iPod, when you can do that anytime in the world? I thought, "what a waste of time."
    Little did you know that she had precomposed her own synced up Space Mountain music, earlier that day.

People pay the price of admission, and then choose how they want to experience the park. As long as they are not putting themselves (or others) in danger, then there's no harm talking on the phone, or rockin' out to your iPod on Space. It's all in how you choose to experience.

There's people that think that our weekly meets are a waste of time, but we like them. Again, all in your chosen experience.
    -Monorail Man

• Fighter Pilot

have you gone to the mall, movies, school, or walk on the street lately? its 2007

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Maybe she doesnt like the Space Mountain music and wanted to have her own soundtrack. Its not bothering you or ruining your experience.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Animatronic

Since I haven't been able to get web-access brain implants, I fear I web-browse on my phone, check my e-mail, and text message while I'm in line. It makes the time go faster. I tend to only do that in the less themed queues. In Indy, I'm too busy admiring the queue or pondering why the fake bamboo is in various stages of unfinished as you enter the projection room.

Your own music on Space Mountain sounds awesome as does a girl with gadget after gadget!

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace View Post
    I went to Disneyland last Tuesday. I got in line for Space Mountain where it listed a 60 minute wait. I was behind a group of, let's say high school/college freshmen kids. Anyway, they weren't obnoxious or anything, but one girls spent the whole time talking on her phone. I have no problem with that. If you're in a long line, talking on the phone passes the time. But when we got inside the loading platform, she was still talking on the phone. Finally when we got on in the Rockets, she was still on the phone. I thought, "Are you really going to talk the whole time?" She did hang up in the systems check area. But then, she takes out an iPod, puts both head phones into both ears and starts listening to her music. I don't understand, you waited in a 60+ minute line just to listen to your iPod, when you can do that anytime in the world? I thought, "what a waste of time."
    Anyway, I thought it was dumb.
    I agree with you - it IS dumb. And rude to whoever she was with. God forbid you actually talk to the people you planned to spend the day with!

• no flash photography...

No, they are not an obsession.

*as I post from my cell phone while on break at work*

My mother and child have gotten annoyed when I use the internet in the parks and I only used it when I was waiting for them to. Finish eating. I stopped when the expressed their opinions on the matter.

•   
    • Senior Minion

I really liked the Rockin' SM song they had and have it on my iPod, sometimes I listen to it ... and sometimes I don't. It all depends on the mood I am in.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Your own music on Space Mountain sounds awesome as does a girl with gadget after gadget!
    As long as a person is talking in a semi-normal voice and not imposing their phone call on everyone in line, I have no problem with that. They paid their park price and are not bothering anyone else. How they choose to spend their money is their business. The moment they start interfering with others though, it becomes a problem. Like if she kept flashing her cell phone light through the ride, or had a boom box playing her music during the ride.

Personally, I don't use my cell when at the park unless to figure out where the heck the rest of our party got to while we were on a ride. And we leave our iPod in the hotel room. To each their own.

I agree though, a girl with lots of gadgets is awesome. And trying to find music that fits Space Mountain naturally could be interesting.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Beyond Your Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    have you gone to the mall, movies, school, or walk on the street lately? its 2007
    That's the frightening part.

Getting Some Skin Exposure to the Blackout

• DL Nerd

I don't see any problem with a person listening to their own music while on space.

Perhaps they enjoy it more.....

I can see using an Ipod on other roller coaster rides that don't have any music on it as well...

DLR is all about having fun and being happy. As long as they are happy, who cares!
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• in technicolor!

I went with a friend a couple weeks ago who was texting the ENTIRE DAY. She was texting when we were on the way there, when we got there, when we were on rides, when we were eating....literally all day. At one point she took my other friend's phone and was texting from that too. It was ridiculous and bugged the heck out of me.

I usually use my phone in line especially Space because there is nothing to entertain me in that line and my brothers aren't exactly conversationalists but never once I get inside. As for the iPod, I take mine but I think I've only used it once on Screamin' and that was because the music didn't work. My brother uses his on Space.

I don't have a problem with people using these things as long as they are courteous about it.

Um I just talk to the people I'm with. I agree that it's stupid. I never use my phone in the park except to call the people I'm with if we split up for some reason (like saving a spot for fireworks)... why would you bring an iPod to Disneyland? And since I kind of fit your demographic (well, 21, so older than high school or freshmen in college), not all of us are like that!

I talk on my phone in line for Space. Why not? It's a long line, and there's nothing else to look at or do.
    If her friends were talking to each other, then it's no problem.
    I really don't see the problem, actually. Did she hurt your experience?
    You said so yourself that she wasn't obnoxious about it.

People would much rather spend time together while talking to someone that isn't there. Go out to eat and watch couples sitting at the same table but both on sepperate phone calls. Go to the movies where a bunch of friends are watching a flick and be constantly blinded by each of them texting other friends, and as we see here, go to Disneyland and watch people ignore their friends to talk to others via satelite.

Maybe Im just lucky that my friends have their lives together enough that they don't constantly need my help and advice.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast