Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• A guy walks into a bar...

Re: What to do with Thunder Trail

Around 10 or 12 years ago, I remember seeing some scale models at the Disneyland WDI building of a very ambitious E-ticket type attraction that would go in the space now occupied by Festival Arena and Big Thunder Ranch. It was, in a nutshell, a mine train type ride that would be the reverse of Tower or Terror. Instead of being dropped, your "mine car" would settle over an oil well and be launched into the sky.

In looking at the satellite view of Disneyland on Google Earth, the footprint of Big Thunder can easily fit inside the area of Festival Arena and Big Thunder Ranch, so I don't see space as an issue.

This internet message board posting does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either my company, my friends, or my cat; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; all rights reserved; you may distribute this message freely but you may not make a profit from it; terms are subject to change without notice; illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental; do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law; hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; your mileage may vary; no substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; this message is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; Contest ends 12-31-2099.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by SkipperStandUp View Post
    Around 10 or 12 years ago, I remember seeing some scale models at the Disneyland WDI building of a very ambitious E-ticket type attraction that would go in the space now occupied by Festival Arena and Big Thunder Ranch. It was, in a nutshell, a mine train type ride that would be the reverse of Tower or Terror. Instead of being dropped, your "mine car" would settle over an oil well and be launched into the sky.
    Oh good Lord. An E-ticket? That ride hardly sounds good enough to have warranted an A ticket at the Orange County Fair. :-p

• DL is my anti-drug.

how about some type of log flume ride based off of the gold rush??

• :)

I love that peaceful trail, especially after a long night of riding everything in NOS than hitting big thunder, getting off and taking that peaceful walk

Western river expedition!?!

• Minion

i would rather have a ride than a peaceful walk, peaceful walks can be found in DCA lol.

i dont think western river expedition would fit unless they used the area from the discovery port land all the way to fantasyland.

While I love the Civil War idea ....I was just thinking this morning of how much I miss the Festival of Fools!! Bring back live entertainment!!
    ~~Second star to the right and straight on til morning~~

5 out of 4 people have a problem with fractions :confused:

• Hiding in the shadows

The only thing I would like to see back there is maybe a live show running 3-4 times a day. I love the quietness of the trail, its really one of my favorite places in the park. Its so nice and dark at night adding any kind of a ride would cause too much congestion in an area that really can't handle it.

A little piece of heaven

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    With all the talk on here about wasted space I thought I would address one of the most underdeveloped spots... no not DCA ... Thunder Trail. By Thunder Trail I am including the BTR, Festival Arena, and that entire unused area along the trail... So Disney has provided us with a completely blank canvas. Any thoughts?
    What needs to be done with that area is this (I have posted this before):

A shopping/dining area needs to be constructed that simulates the Town of Big Thunder. A wild west stunt show, with Frontier characters and street performances will be ever-present in this area. A new train station should be constructed to service the new 'Town', adding to the Westward Expansion theme, and providing Frontierland with its own sole-proprietorship of a DLRR station.

While an 'E-ticket' would be great, what Frontierland needs is an incentive for people to visit; shopping, dining (a real saloon with Can-Can dancers), and shows will provide this 'incentive' without the costs associated with 'E-ticket' attractions.

This new town needs inhabitants to create the illusion of life: Trappers, Indians, Vaqueros, Gunslingers, Lawmen, townsfolk, even a town drunk (?) will provide constant entertainment, and visual interest.

When I finally become King of Disneyland, this will be my first commission.

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    What needs to be done with that area is this (I have posted this before):

A shopping/dining area needs to be constructed that simulates the Town of Big Thunder. A wild west stunt show, with Frontier characters and street performances will be ever-present in this area. A new train station should be constructed to service the new 'Town', adding to the Westward Expansion theme, and providing Frontierland with its own sole-proprietorship of a DLRR station.

While an 'E-ticket' would be great, what Frontierland needs is an incentive for people to visit; shopping, dining (a real saloon with Can-Can dancers), and shows will provide this 'incentive' without the costs associated with 'E-ticket' attractions.

This new town needs inhabitants to create the illusion of life: Trappers, Indians, Vaqueros, Gunslingers, Lawmen, townsfolk, even a town drunk (?) will provide constant entertainment, and visual interest.

When I finally become King of Disneyland, this will be my first commission.
    So what you are suggesting is building a new area to replace the old area that was frontierland. Frontierland used to have inhabitants that did stunt shows, can can girls, mules, wagons, different kinds of boats, and different shops. Now it has the same shops as everywhere else, no can can girls, no stunt shows, and fewer and fewer boats. I'm all for development of the trail area, but I also agree that the little quiet areas of DL are dissapearing filled up with odv carts.

Leave it be. Why can't there be a nice quiet place in Disneyland to escape the hordes found around the e-tickets? A place to regroup, plan, people watch, etc. in Disneyland - not in DCA (and yes, we have many places there to relax!). We love the trees, relative quietness and the jumping fish at night. At Christmas-time we love, love, love Santa's Reindeer Roundup. We sit, decorate cookies, see Santa and the reindeer, watch the entertainment and some of our best character interaction photos are from here. And the attention to detail is amazing.

I personally would rather have this than a huge ride which would turn the area into a zoo. I don't see why Disneyland has to be jam-packed with thrill rides.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wettham1783 View Post
    Western river expedition!?!
    I was going to suggest Western River Expedition myself. And Disney, if you are reading this, I still am suggesting Western River Expedition.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I say keep it the way it is. It's a nice and relaxing walk, and pretty quiet whenever there are no Thunder Mountain trains going around.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• I'm not really here

It is possible to do all three. With a little careful planning and some imagination you can preserve the quiet feeling of the area while opening it up and making it more expansive. You can add shops and a sleepy town (the town of Big Thunder isn't currently very big. 38 is the population if I remember correctly). You can use the shop fronts and buildings themselves as the facade for a ride that is very nearly completely hidden from view by the theming. It is very possible to accomplish all three goals.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

We could always tear down that noisy eyesore Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to preserve the peace and quiet; to further encourage the grave-yard like stillness and the funereal mood. Who needs Frontierland, anyways? Benches. We need more benches.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast