Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Re: What to do with Thunder Trail

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    Um...excuse me, it's a theme park. You want quiet? Go back to your hotel room.

AMEN!
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• MA Reader Since 2003

Quote Originally Posted by wettham1783 View Post
    Western river expedition!?!
    Yes!!! That would be friggin awesome. They should theme the que to an old west town.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Neep meep beep

The only thing that captures the imagination of the young as much as pirates is ... dinosaurs. You already have hints of the fossil fields of the west in the railroad and in Big Thunder Mountain - but an all out animatronic dinosaur themed ride would be very, very popular indeed.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Bravo,

Sanity is returning to this thread. Weeks ago Fo'C had a thread talking about Frontierland being the area that needs to most attention even above TL and Toontown. Now a thread starts with what to do to the trail and a large group of people want to keep it a relaxing area.

Frontierland needs a ton of TLC. To me, I'd compare Frontierland to Critter Country. They both have one great ride and other than that, who cares?? And on top of that Frontierland has triple the space as Critter country. Not much we can do about Winnie the Pooh but Disney can utilize that unused area for something special. Now, if you think all that space is well used for walking, smoking, petting zoo, I can't change your mind. I just think is WDI went balls out and created something that will knock our socks off, we might just forget about the leisurely stroll and beautiful sights of the trail.

Just my 2 cents, but invest it and it could be worth something someday.

Chad

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Fine. Go ahead and turn that part of the park into Knott's. I like it just how it is. We need to focus on improving TL and DCA...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I don't think there's enough room for Western River Expedition. To whomever said a gold rush ride...you're suggesting it for the wrong DLR theme park. The gold rush is why everyone came to California in the first place, and there isn't a single thing in DCA that pertains to the gold rush. Retrofit WRE to a gold rush theme, stick it in DCA, and we're set.

Now, as for Frontierland...

I agree with Joseph. You guys crack me up.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Frontierland needs a folk tales attraction. Disney used to make classic animated shorts of these charcaters, and there are plenty more that can be utilized. The stories are dying, and people don't know these characters anymore...and they weren't all men. Annie Oakley (there's actually an ad for her in Frontierland outside one of the shops, and she was a real person) and Bess Call to name a few. Thunder Trail can still feel calm and quiet...it's a question of how the attraction is Imagineered.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I just think is WDI went balls out and created something that will knock our socks off, we might just forget about the leisurely stroll and beautiful sights of the trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Fine. Go ahead and turn that part of the park into Knott's. I like it just how it is. We need to focus on improving TL and DCA...

You don't have to get rid of the leisurely stroll or the beautiful sights of the trail. You don't have to turn it into Knott's back there. You can preserve the restful, peaceful feeling AND create a new area of Frontierland complete with an attraction. You create a restful, sleepy mid-west boom town on the decline (which is what BTMRR suggests several times in the line). You can have open spaces with trees and benches and food venues. You can have shops lining the street and an open square for outdoor shows. You can also put a ride in, cleverly theming it into the town so that the ride and most of the line is completely contained INSIDE faux-store fronts. Have the ride completely hidden so it isn't intruding. This is why I was suggesting a D ticket. It is smaller than your typical E ticket attraction and won't attract the massive crowds that so many seem to fear. Though personally I would love for a real world-class, knock your socks off E ticket to go in there as well. I think Frontierland deserves to become a major player again. But an E ticket still wouldn't affect the peaceful nature of the area if you build it right. It can be done, so I don't want to hear any more of this, "well, we can have peace and quiet, or crowds" stuff.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I wish that whole area of the park had some SUPER THEME like thunder mesa does in DLRP.

I know i'm crazy...but what if they annexed Pirates to Adventureland and then make New Orleans and Frontierland a MASSIVE land about the expansion of the old west...reinvigorationg the river, tearing out The ranch and BTR putting in Western River, Civil War or something and completely expanding the theme of a "Haunted" boom town?
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Hmm,

Silver prospectors, silver, I got it! Let's do a Silver Bullett Roller Coaster. Just kidding, but even a ghost town is better than a petting zoo. Walk through or stop in the stores if you like. Other than convenience and watching BTM train go by, that trail has little appeal.

Chad

How about some sort of "Sleepy Hollow" themed area? Put in a "thrill ride" based on the Headless Horseman, and make the surrounding area themed to that whole early New England town feel -- somewhat like New Orleans Square in its intimacy and attention to authentic details; it would counter NOS' draw and give another focus point on the other side of the river. But leave a healthy portion of "quiet" in there, too.

• A Honorary Autobot

Am I mistaken in thinking that Frontierland has been one of the original lands drafted up by Walt to be featured in the park? Obviously, in the 1950's the Cowboys vs. Indians trend was in its height. But if I'm right, I'd have to say that while the area is - indeed - rich in landscaping and theming, it is also far behind in public love.

Yeah, yeah, I know, all of us love Frontierland, but the general John Q. Public, really doesn't give the land much attention, besides a quick stop to ride Big Thunder. Other than that, the masses rush New Orleans Square, Tomorrowland, and Fantasyland. Even Toontown gets more attention, but that I think is two fold: 1) the kiddies love it, and 2) there's so much going on, you can discover something new almost every time.

New Orleans has Pirates, the Mansion, and the restaurants. CC has Splash and Pooh (love it or hate it). Adventureland the Cruise, Indy, and Tiki. The list goes on and on. Frontierland demands an E-Ticket just to balance the load. Hell, they just took Tom Sawyer from Frontierland, what's next? Will NOS take over the River Belle Terrace and move East from there?

Big Thunder deserves the TLC that has been given to other E-Tickets like Space, POTC, and the Mansion, as well as a companion E-Ticket. Make Frontierland exciting again, like how Americana depicts it to be. A flume ride, runaway mine car, and scary dark ride already exist (Grizzly Rapids, BTRR, and HM) and near by. We need some originality.

Taming the west was about exploration, discovery, and new life. While these may not be E-Ticket contenders, I do agree that commemorating our history is key. While the Civil War may be wrong for the area (Western territory expansion -besides Texas, Missouri, and Illinois - was free from involvement in the war), moving Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (the original, non-Civil War version), or the Hall of Presidents would be appropriate.

Across the bridge from Big Thunder, a new Spanish-style mission should be built, featuring not only white expansion, but the heavy Mexican/Spanish influence on the territory. A Lewis & Clark Expedition area or ride could be set on the eastern shores of the Rivers of America, near the old Indian village. Other ideas include the union of the Pacific and Atlantic railways (Gold Spike), pioneers and settler wagon trains, the Pony Express, etc.

'Cause really, do we need to see more of this?
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 06-28-2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling... sorry.

• Minion

I don't get some of you on here sometimes. When asked what land should get an overhaul the majority on here tend to give a resounding yes to Frontierland. Then the moment someone comes up with a thread for what to do with it so many of you say to leave it alone because it's a nice quiet area of the park. Um...excuse me, it's a theme park. You want quiet? Go back to your hotel room.
    Even though I don't think DCA should be like this, as I said before go to DCA, it will probably be easier to get to then your hotel room if you want quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post

Frontierland needs a ton of TLC. To me, I'd compare Frontierland to Critter Country. They both have one great ride and other than that, who cares?? And on top of that Frontierland has triple the space as Critter country. Not much we can do about Winnie the Pooh but Disney can utilize that unused area for something special.
    Well there is something we can do about Pooh, bulldoze it and put Pooh's Honey Hunt from TDL in.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Frontierland needs a folk tales attraction. Disney used to make classic animated shorts of these charcaters, and there are plenty more that can be utilized. The stories are dying, and people don't know these characters anymore...and they weren't all men. Annie Oakley (there's actually an ad for her in Frontierland outside one of the shops, and she was a real person) and Bess Call to name a few. Thunder Trail can still feel calm and quiet...it's a question of how the attraction is Imagineered.
    A folk tales attraction has a lot of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post
    I wish that whole area of the park had some SUPER THEME like thunder mesa does in DLRP.

I know i'm crazy...but what if they annexed Pirates to Adventureland and then make New Orleans and Frontierland a MASSIVE land about the expansion of the old west...reinvigorationg the river, tearing out The ranch and BTR putting in Western River, Civil War or something and completely expanding the theme of a "Haunted" boom town?
    I would hate to see New Orleans Square go, that is the best themed area of any Disney park in the US. Plus, the Haunted Mansion does not look like frontier architecture. A "Haunted" boom town would be awesome in DCA however.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    How about some sort of "Sleepy Hollow" themed area? Put in a "thrill ride" based on the Headless Horseman, and make the surrounding area themed to that whole early New England town feel -- somewhat like New Orleans Square in its intimacy and attention to authentic details; it would counter NOS' draw and give another focus point on the other side of the river. But leave a healthy portion of "quiet" in there, too.
    I like this idea, I am all for "dark" ride ideas involving ghosts, monsters, curses, etc.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Even though I don't think DCA should be like this, as I said before go to DCA, it will probably be easier to get to then your hotel room if you want quiet.
    As much as I'd like to agree with you on this one GhostHost2, and usually I do on most of what you post, I can't with this one. There are plenty of other areas one can go to for peace and quiet. Critter Country is peaceful and quiet. Or there's always a nice ride on the Mark Twain or Columbia. Then there's Fantasia Gardens and the elevated concrete platform in Fantasyland over by "iasw" and Matterhorn.

I just don't understand why some of you on here would rather see an area become so stagnent that the next thing that happens is that the land gets ripped away or altered to the current fad. Look at what happened to Tom Sawyer Island. If Disney had kept that area up to snuff, put in a new dark ride, etc. then I'm sure Tom and Huck could still be living there. But, sadly, the area was overlooked (just as Frontierland is), and was then turned into a Pirate's Lair. I'm not saying this was for the better or worse, but it just goes to show that if a "Land" or area is going to stay it needs to be constantly changing.

I promise you that if the area over by Frontierland stays the way it is for very much longer Frontierland will cease to exist in the future. However, adding a few simple things such a new shop, a new restaurant, or even a C/D ride as others have suggusted could be enough to save and revitalize this original "Land" of Disneyland.

I am in no way knocking any of you for wanting your peace and quiet. Everybody is entitled to their own preferences. But sometimes it's best to step back and look at the big picture. Would it be better and beneficial for both Disney and its guests to have a quiet smoking area/walkway, or to help revitalize a cool land with many possibilities by adding a few things, thus sparking creativity and imagination in Disneyland's guests as well as teaching them a little bit about the West's past? And then also bringing in the bucks for the business we know and love called Disney? I'll let each person decide for him or herself.

...Joe...

• Minion

As much as I'd like to agree with you on this one GhostHost2, and usually I do on most of what you post, I can't with this one. There are plenty of other areas one can go to for peace and quiet. Critter Country is peaceful and quiet. Or there's always a nice ride on the Mark Twain or Columbia. Then there's Fantasia Gardens and the elevated concrete platform in Fantasyland over by "iasw" and Matterhorn.

I promise you that if the area over by Frontierland stays the way it is for very much longer Frontierland will cease to exist in the future. However, adding a few simple things such a new shop, a new restaurant, or even a C/D ride as others have suggusted could be enough to save and revitalize this original "Land" of Disneyland.

I am in no way knocking any of you for wanting your peace and quiet. Everybody is entitled to their own preferences. But sometimes it's best to step back and look at the big picture. Would it be better and beneficial for both Disney and its guests to have a quiet smoking area/walkway, or to help revitalize a cool land with many possibilities by adding a few things, thus sparking creativity and imagination in Disneyland's guests as well as teaching them a little bit about the West's past? And then also bringing in the bucks for the business we know and love called Disney? I'll let each person decide for him or herself.

...Joe...
    Unfortenately I don't know DL as good as I should, since I am not a local, but you listed many good places for peace and quiet at DL that slipped my mind. Frontierland is ripe with possibilities, the problem is that the general public is not very interested in the frontier anymore. Back in the 1950s, westerns were the superhero movies of today and there were various western themed TV shows. Also, kids played cowboys and Indians alot. It would be sad to see a once great land vanish because the general public wants more pirates. Maybe Disney can find a way to make the frontier popular again, just like they did with pirates.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Unfortenately I don't know DL as good as I should, since I am not a local, but you listed many good places for peace and quiet at DL that slipped my mind. Frontierland is ripe with possibilities, the problem is that the general public is not very interested in the frontier anymore. Back in the 1950s, westerns were the superhero movies of today and there were various western themed TV shows. Also, kids played cowboys and Indians alot. It would be sad to see a once great land vanish because the general public wants more pirates. Maybe Disney can find a way to make the frontier popular again, just like they did with pirates.

While the mainstream may lead you to believe that certain things aren't hip or cool again, this is a perfect opportunity for Disney to just do what they believe in and MAKE it cool.

Kids like to play make believe and I think there's still hope in looking to the past for ideas. They STILL sell Davy Crockett racoon hats. That's very uplifting.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast