Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Re: Opinions Regarding the 1993 Addition of the "Partners" Monument in Central Plaza

Would any of the people defending the statue, now, still be so enamored with it had it been realized with Mickey holding a lollipop or an ice cream cone in his free hand?

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

Re: Opinions Regarding the 1993 Addition of the "Partners" Monument in Central Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Would any of the people defending the statue, now, still be so enamored with it had it been realized with Mickey holding a lollipop or an ice cream cone in his free hand?

Yes. It would not only be warm and fuzzy but "sweet".
    "To ALL who come to this happy place, Welcome" Walt Disney

All means ALL

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Would any of the people defending the statue, now, still be so enamored with it had it been realized with Mickey holding a lollipop or an ice cream cone?
    I would. I wouldn't think that Mickey looks too childish with or without an ice cream cone. At least for me, I'm not at DL to overanalyze every little thing and to come up with debating questions for MC. I go there to enjoy it; the atmosphere, the music, the rides, the fireworks, shows, etc.

• Neep meep beep

I'm not a big fan of the statue, but I do love ice cream, so I have to say "yes".

At least he isn't holding a churro -- too phallic.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by woxel1 View Post
    At least he isn't holding a churro -- too phallic.
    Would be funny if he was holding one of those shrunken heads from the Jungle Cruise. Maybe one of Donald. (Don't mean to offend any Donald fans!)

• 88 mph

When I first read the OP I thought it was a joke.

But after some thorough reading, I'm beginning to understand what the OP is stating. The term "Partners" in this situation is like what everyone is saying. They're business partners who without each other would not have made the park possible. They should be equal. Even though Walt "created" the concept of Mickey Mouse people might see it as a "fatherly figure" and that its just a "symbol". Understandable, but remember, Mickey Mouse isn't a child. Mickey is always put into adult situations in his cartoons. If he was an infant cartoon, we would be able to tell, IE Rugrats, Baby Looney Tunes, etc and the holding hands with a lollipop or ice cream would then make sense. However, two straight adult business partners do NOT hold hands while showing Disneyland (their product) to the Public. So its obvious that this statue is calling Mickey "a child" and "the son of Walt".

I agree with the OP that the statues name and meaning do not coincide with each other. But thats about it.
    Last edited by Jeronius; 06-29-2007 at 08:44 AM.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

Ok, so I nominate this thread and topic as the dumbest and most pointless in the Community. So, just curious, what are you going to do about this since it "disturbs" you so? Go to City Hall and complain about it? The statue has been up there for 14 years and you've now started to complain about it. How lame and just plain stupid.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

While I'm not enamored of, or offended by the statue, I wouldn't care to see Mickey portrayed as a "little child".

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace View Post
    Ok, so I nominate this thread and topic as the dumbest and most pointless in the Community. So, just curious, what are you going to do about this since it "disturbs" you so? Go to City Hall and complain about it? The statue has been up there for 14 years and you've now started to complain about it. How lame and just plain stupid.
    Your post is lame and just plain stupid.

If thats your best argument, then its obvious that you don't even have one against the OP.

He made a valid point. Come back with a stronger argument instead of "You're a doody head".

And can't you hear yourself? Its been up there for 14 years. Hell I didn't even know that. Now I have to treat this statue like Toontown. How do you support that argument? (Since when is Mickey Mouse's home now here? Should be in the Studios right?!) It was another Eisner move (I'm assuming) or I just need to brush up more on my history.
    Last edited by Jeronius; 06-29-2007 at 08:47 AM.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

Why is an ice cream only for a child? Does the fact that there is no ice cream or lollipop in the final product mean anything? Why is it even part of the discussion since whoever approved the final product didn't insist on Mickey holding anything but Walt's hand.

This really is a silly discussion yet I find myself joining in. I really am too tired...
    "To ALL who come to this happy place, Welcome" Walt Disney

All means ALL

• Closed Account

In addition to the potential vendor disputes that the ice cream cone may have engendered as pointed out by Cousin O, Blaine Gibson also stated that the ice cream cone made Mickey look too "immature."

--The E-Ticket (forget which issue)

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by FoundMyHappyPlace View Post
    Why is an ice cream only for a child? Does the fact that there is no ice cream or lollipop in the final product mean anything? Why is it even part of the discussion since whoever approved the final product didn't insist on Mickey holding anything but Walt's hand.

This really is a silly discussion yet I find myself joining in. I really am too tired...
    I don't think the lollipop or ice cream is the biggest problem. But the concept of making Mickey as a "child" figure when hes an adult cartoon is debatable. Like could you imagine Bill Gates and Steve Jobs holding hands when they present the Itunes for Windows software to the public? (Bad example I know )

-Adidas

• Closed Account

By way of correction, I was mistaken that Mickey was shown holding a lollipop.

The sketches Gibson made before beginning his sculpture show Mickey with the ice cream cone only. He also did several sketches with Mickey standing in different poses, and with Walt holding a roll of blueprints and using those to point out Disneyland. There were several drawings made.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronius View Post
    ...But after some thorough reading, I'm beginning to understand what the OP is stating. The term "Partners" in this situation is like what everyone is saying. They're business partners who without each other would not have made the park possible...I agree with the OP that the statues name and meaning do not coincide with each other. But thats about it.
    I never thought of it that way, I always thought it was "partners in imagination" or "partners in creation" or even "partners in crime". Never thought it strictly "Business Partners".

Okay maybe not "Partners in crime", but I see it more as a metaphor, that Mickey is somewhat of an alter-ego of Walt. The holding hands symbolises their link, that one can not exist without the other, as in "X goes hand in hand with Y". Like "Microsoft Windows goes hand in hand with Intel" or something along those lines.

I've never had any literal interpretation of the holding hands and any socially awkward ramifications that would follow (from some).

*Holds hands with Prag*
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast