Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234561328 ... LastLast

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Opinions Regarding the 1993 Addition of the "Partners" Monument in Central Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    I understand Prag's point here. I don't have an issue with it, but it is interesting. The 'Partners' title infers an equality, but a Father/small son relationship does not.

The exclusion of the juvenile image (ice cream cone) can be interpreted as a conscious effort NOT to show Mickey Mouse as a "child", and yet, they are holding hands, something business 'Partners' rarely do. Interesting, Prag! Good observation!
    Quoting oneself is strange, but it does serve a purpose here. Taking into consideration the posting above, is the image, or the seemingly contradictive title the sticking point for you, Prag? Really good thread, by the way.

• Closed Account

Re: Opinions Regarding the 1993 Addition of the "Partners" Monument in Central Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Mickey must be a very precocious child if he's dating women mice.
    Don't let the PC crowd hear that. There's the potential for date rape, and we can't expose the children to that.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Why is it simply father/son or business partners.

I consider close friends partners in what I'm doing in my life because their support often helps it along.
    I can see myself taking their hand and with pride showing them what I've accomplished. Nothing juvenille or business about it, just 2 people sharing pride in accomplishment.

• I'm Flying High

I think this issue is being taken way too seriously. It's a metaphor...I mean how meaningful would the statue be if they were sitting behind their own little tables, discussing plans?
    The daydream princess

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Now, are they father and son, or are they business partners?
    They could be both. There plenty of father-son run companies in this country.

And like ltlmrm8 said, Mickey is an animated cartoon. The whole thing is an artistic representation of the relationship that Walt and Mickey DID have. Business partners, father-son, and best friends all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Don't let the PC crowd hear that. There's the potential for date rape, and we can't expose the children to that.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by roxystar68 View Post
    I think this issue is being taken way too seriously.
    Agree. I think most of us are still trying to figure out if the OP is joking or not. Sadly, he isn't.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by roxystar68 View Post
    I think this issue is being taken way too seriously. It's a metaphor...I mean how meaningful would the statue be if they were sitting behind their own little tables, discussing plans?
    Of course it is, but where's the harm in a little dissection? No one is calling for its removal, or even particularly criticizing it...it's just Prag's observation; and a good one, too.

• Animatronic

Holding hands is fine, but since Mickey is much better known than Walt, he should have been much bigger than Walt and Walt should have looked the part of the wide eyed child.

• Minion

Okay...let's say there IS a father/son relationship, that STILL allows them to be partners. Kirk Douglas and Michael Douglas have worked together as co-producers and co-actors and have a very affectionate relationship.

Even if people are partners, that does not immediately suggest that they are EQUAL partners, you can still have one be a senior partner.

I am so curious, does the hand holding suggest a GAY relationship to you? Is that the reaction you are having?

I think having them hold hands does show a father/son relationship and I don't think that negates them being partners in this venture either.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

it's just Prag's observation; and a good one, too.
    Alright swabby. We know you like this thread but no need to brown nose to the OP and the thread itself.

Quoting oneself is strange, but it does serve a purpose here. Taking into consideration the posting above, is the image, or the seemingly contradictive title the sticking point for you, Prag? Really good thread, by the way.
    It's the image.

There are other problems, as well. The quotation on the plaque isn't helping matters.

That quotation is also being taken out of context.

I always think of Mickey as reflecting the young and shoeless bachelor that Walt was in his salad days.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 06-28-2007 at 10:10 AM.

•   

Shaking hands would have been appropriate for 'Partners'. However the heighth differential would have forced Walt's image to be bent over, so maybe that's not the best idea. Statues of men bending over seems a recipe for disaster...

I'm 43 years old, and I'd love to be able to hold my dad's hand again, but he passed away in 1993 so I'll never get that chance. What in the world does Mickey being an adult have to do with it?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    Agree. I think most of us are still trying to figure out if the OP is joking or not. Sadly, he isn't.
    Why is it sad? Are you so attached to the dogma of what the statue represents that you can't discuss a differing opinion about it without becoming saddened?

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    Alright swabby. We know you like this thread but no need to brown nose to the OP and the thread itself.
    Jealous?! I'll tell you what: if you ever make a good point, I'll "brown nose" you as well. The odds of that happening seem slim, however, based on the posts I've seen from you.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234561328 ... LastLast