Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Opinions Regarding the 1993 Addition of the "Partners" Monument in Central Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Why is it sad? Are you so attached to the dogma of what the statue represents that you can't discuss a differing opinion about it without becoming saddened?
    I think it's that most of us can't understand what's wrong with the statue.
    The daydream princess

Re: Opinions Regarding the 1993 Addition of the "Partners" Monument in Central Plaza

You remember at the end of the opening day broadcast where Art Linkletter and Walt Disney walked through the castle gate while awkwardly trying to figure out how best to have their arms around each other's shoulders?

That was a nice gesture, with a good attitude, but it didn't work because arms don't work quite like that.

This is an improvement. Rather than depicting them at the same size, it works out like this.

The only other way to do it would be to have Walt kneeling and pointing out the park from that vantage point, but it doesn't look right.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    When the "Partners" statue was first announced, I was especially disturbed because the maquette had Mickey not only holding Mr. Disney's hand. The mouse was also holding an ice cream cone. Thankfully, that version was never created. However, the statue still shows the two figures holdng hands.

Mickey is a happy little bachelor. He should not be depicted holding hands with a married man.

I have other problems with the monument, and its placement in Central Plaza, but the hand-holding is the one aspect of the sculpture that most bothers me.
    Uh oh, children!

Sounds like someone is smoking crack!
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Shaking hands would have been appropriate for 'Partners'. However the heighth differential would have forced Walt's image to be bent over, so maybe that's not the best idea. Statues of men bending over seems a recipe for disaster...
    Funny you bring up the height differential, because Walt is depicted taller than he actually was for the statue. Someone had asked him what he would do if he could change one thing about himself and he said he'd like to be a bit taller, so they did it when they made Partners.

My BIGGEST problem with the Partners statue is that I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Walt specifically said he didn't want any statues of himself. Wish I could remember where I saw that one.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Minion

Wow, I think some of the posts in here were unnecessary. I know that most of them are all in good fun, but I have a feeling people are going to take offense to the ones that may seem to them like a personal attack.
    On a different note, I read that too RumRunner31.
    The daydream princess

• For old time sake

Mickey is being depicted as a child, but the mouse isn't. The sculptor got rid of the ice cream cone, but he still has the two figures holding hands.
    And??????
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Inhospitable about happy

Art is all about nuance and degree, not so much about either/or distinctions. If they nixed the lollipop and ice-cream cone, that may not be a matter of negating the child-like qualities of MM, but deciding not to put an emphatic and exclusive accent on those qualities. The size proportion between the two still casts MM in a child-like role. Walt fathered this child. But the fact that the MM figure still carries the generic MM look allows you to recall, after the first impression of father-and-child, the full spectrum of this character, and it only then that you realize that you're looking at a relationship that doesn't fit any one type.

In other words, the statue starts you with a father-and-child image, but doesn't restrict your from further contemplating the larger compexity of the relationship, which it would have if the cone or candy had been there.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

This thread cracks me up. It's amazing how one innocent thing like a statue can start a 5+ page thread on MiceChat.

...Joe...

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Jealous?! I'll tell you what: if you ever make a good point, I'll "brown nose" you as well. The odds of that happening seem slim, however, based on the posts I've seen from you.
    Well someone got up from the wrong side of the pirate bed today!

• Closed Account

This is probably the fastest-growing thread I've seen. (And already someone has brought up that folks may get "offended." Sheesh).

• I'm not really here

So far my favorite post in this thread is the one about the multi-faceted nature of the statue and how it represents the multiple facets of the relationship between Walt and Mickey. I think that best expresses the statue.

I am curious how you feel that the quote plaque is taken out of context though.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Special Agent

I would like to see the Partners Statue removed and replaced with a Ferris Wheel.

• Defying gravity

I always think of Mickey as reflecting the young and shoeless bachelor that Walt was in his salad days.
    Salad days?!

Ok, clearly Mickey and Walt must be gay....case closed.

I have never even thought about this before. It seemed perfectly natural that they would be holding hands.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    Funny you bring up the height differential, because Walt is depicted taller than he actually was for the statue. Someone had asked him what he would do if he could change one thing about himself and he said he'd like to be a bit taller, so they did it when they made Partners.

My BIGGEST problem with the Partners statue is that I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Walt specifically said he didn't want any statues of himself. Wish I could remember where I saw that one.
    I think that was a bit of midwestern modesty... I think in a situation where someone says that has done something SO monumental, you honor them in spite of their wishes and appologize to them in the great beyond.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I would like to see the Partners Statue removed and replaced with a Ferris Wheel.
    I agree.........IF the Ferris Wheel has a loop.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345671429 ... LastLast