Page 1 of 30 123411 ... LastLast

Opinions Regarding the 1993 Addition of the "Partners" Monument in Central Plaza

When the "Partners" statue was first announced, I was especially disturbed because the maquette had Mickey not only holding Mr. Disney's hand. The mouse was also holding an ice cream cone. Thankfully, that version was never created. However, the statue still shows the two figures holding hands.

Mickey is a happy little bachelor. He should not be depicted holding hands with a married man.

I have other problems with the monument, and its placement in Central Plaza, but the hand-holding is the one aspect of the sculpture that most bothers me.

EDIT: Since so many people seem to be having trouble understanding my meaning, I'll clarify. Mickey is a happy little bachelor. Therefore, he is an adult. Holding hands with another adult male makes Mickey look like a child since, according to American norms, two adult males do not generally hold hands unless they are sexually intimate. Obviously, the sculptor is not depicting the man and the mouse that way. For that reason, the statue of Mickey as a child is not faithful to the character as he was created by Walt Disney.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 07-04-2007 at 05:34 AM.

Re: Opinions Regarding the 1993 Addition of the "Partners" Monument in Central Plaza

They're good friends/partners in crime. Why wouldn't they hold hands?

• Fighter Pilot

Re: Opinions Regarding the 1993 Addition of the "Partners" Monument in Central Plaza

why not just post this in the other thread about the statue

• Closed Account

The other thread was not designed to be about opinions regarding the statue. This one is. It deserves its own topic so as not to derail the other one.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Okay, it's been 14 years and you're just complaining now? I see nothing wrong with Mickey and Walt holding hands. IMO, I think it's a great monument to celebrate both the creative force of DL and the reason how it all started. I love watching the fireworks while standing in front of it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I think the statue is more to represent the father/child relationship Mickey and Walt had. That's why I think it is appropriate as is.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Sock Puppet

I'm sorry, I don't understand your point at all. So the only time people can hold hands is if they are a relationship? So are you saying that chicldren that hold hands with their parents are in some way in some sort of adult relationship. I don't understand that.
    Mickey was Walt's creation and the character that launched his career and dreams. What is wrong with showing affection (and I don't see it in a weird way)?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

To me it's Walt showing Mickey what he helped create.

It was all started by a mouse.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Digging to Earth's center

Disney created Mickey, obviously, and it all started with them to make Disneyland... of course they'd be holding hands (after all, Walt created Mickey, and it all started with this mouse). Does that make sense? And what's up with a bachelor holding hands with a married man if the "married man" made the "bachelor"?? (That sounds a little weird, but you get what I mean, right? Mickey's a cartoon mouse, Walt Disney's a brilliant man)

I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke or not. What's wrong with them holding hands?

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I have other problems with the monument, and its placement in Central Plaza, but the hand-holding is the one aspect of the sculpture that most bothers me.
    You are joking, right? Please tell me you are. If you are not, then I'm sorry to say that you have missed the entire point of the statue. As in it went so completely over your head that the moon might just be closer.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Mickey is being depicted as a child, but the mouse isn't. The sculptor got rid of the ice cream cone, but he still has the two figures holding hands.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    To me it's Walt showing Mickey what he helped create.

It was all started by a mouse.
    EXACTLY!
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Digging to Earth's center

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I think the statue is more to represent the father/child relationship Mickey and Walt had. That's why I think it is appropriate as is.
    That's exactly what I meant to say.

• I'm not really here

Walt "fathered" Mickey, created him, nurtured him and nursed him through his beginnings. Walt provided the voice for Mickey. Walt is a father to Mickey. And in the statue Walt is showing Mickey all these amazing things that he (Mickey) allowed Walt to create and helped him to create. "Let us never forget that it all started with a mouse." There is a very close relationship between Walt and Mickey as Walt himself stated on numerous occasions.

I'm still confused as to why this is even an issue. Could you be more specific as to why Walt and Mickey holding hands is a problem for you? What aspect of it causes you to have problems? I honestly do try to wrap my head around and see other peoples sides of things, but this one, I just can't seem to grasp at all, on any level.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 30 123411 ... LastLast