Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    *Might* be able to get away with a 15-second clip or two, as my still camera can do them.... Dang, I wouldn't mind having a video of it! Something in the back of my mind insists that I can't possibly be allowed a video camera though.
    You can... but be sneaky!

from the site: Note: Cellular telephones, pagers, cameras, laser pointing devices and recording devices may not be operated in the theatre.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• insufferable know-it-all

Hmm.. that's what I thought. Though people often take still pictures. Hmm... just thought of something else... my camera's gonna have problems picking up the low light. Well, I'll see about setting it on silent and try to get some fireworks shots. The bowl does fireworks on an amazing level - like Remember, but w/out the lasers Lots of boom, lots of spinners, light effects on the rim of the bowl, pyro pictures (I remember the year they did Colin Powell and Stormin' Norman, best ones to date).

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    Frodo Potter and I will be there this Saturday. We're in section J2, right on an end towards the last 6 rows of that section. We'll probably wear our gold ears, so stop by and say hi! We might even have extra cookies.

And, take heed of Morrigoon's advice for the future. We were able to get 5 concerts, including this one for just over $100 for both of us, and that was with mid-range seats for the July 4th Spectacular. The Bowl's website is not clear on how to do this.

I'd be happy to take photos and a few sound clips, but my camera got broken on the cruise, and I don't have my dad's to borrow.

For those people going: be advised that parking is like $14. Carpooling strongly recommended.

I'll be in one of the "W" sections (eg: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay at the back)

Also, for bowl first timers: please be advised that the Hollywood Bowl is a natural amphitheatre. That means that every noise you make can be heard by everyone in the Bowl. For that reason, try to plan snacky foods you plan to eat during the show that are quietly opened, and also please remember that if you talk, even quietly, at least 200 people can hear you. And finally (and this is the nice one), never leave till the orchestra does. Encores are par for the course at the Bowl, and with the fireworks shows they can't let people out until the area's been cleared anyway, so just sit tight, enjoy the encores, and when the lights come up, let everyone else get out ahead of you (unless you know you're parked at the front of a row in the stacked lots, in which case get out as quick as humanly possible given the crush of people exiting). I tend to favor the "climb down to the 2nd promenade" technique. Rather than exiting at the level I entered (closest to my seat) and going down the hill in the crush of people, I make my way down through the center stairways of the bowl and across empty rows of seats rather than aisles until I get to Prom 2 (you can't get lower than Prom 2 w/out box seats), and go out there. Also, if you can move quickly, get to the left side of the crowd, there's usually a little room to pass people there. Please drop a tip for the saxophone guy at the pedestrian tunnel.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    That means that every noise you make can be heard by everyone in the Bowl. For that reason, try to plan snacky foods you plan to eat during the show that are quietly opened, and also please remember that if you talk, even quietly, at least 200 people can hear you.
    You forgot to mention that also for that very reason, hard-boiled eggs, chili, or burritos should also be discouraged in picnic baskets.

Although, that is SO tempting of an experiment after the place clears out for the night.

hard-boiled eggs sound good, actually

Oh, that reminds me of a couple more tips:

Lots of supermarket delis have deals for dinners or picnics that are perfect for the bowl. My Albertson's, for example, has a deal where you get 8 pieces of chicken, a side dish (macaroni or potato salad), and a 4-pack of King's Hawaiian rolls for $5.99. If you want to get a bit fancier, Knott's also does a chicken "dinner" that includes their famous biscuits. Honeybaked does a really awesome dinner package that includes the makings for honeybaked ham sandwiches, and comes in a box with a carry handle.

Also, a fun picnic can be put together from stuff at your local Trader Joe's. Sushi, or great cheeses and breads or crackers, etc. Alcohol is allowed, of course, so bring your favorite bottle of wine if you are so inclined (because if you have to buy it there you'll pay through the nose!). Candles and other incendiary items are not allowed (technically there might be a ruling on a certain type of no-tip candle, but as a general rule no) due to fire danger. (Bowl has enough problems with that between fireworks and the popcorn booth!)

It gets cool up there in the evening, so bring something with long sleeves to put on if you get cold.

Please remember to remove your gold ears during the performance so people behind you can see (yes, that means bringing something to keep them in unless you want to put them on the ground).

Oh yeah: ushers will not let you leave stuff in the aisles. Bring things that can fit under your seat or around your feet. Speaking of ushers and seats, this is a sold out performance, but as we all know, if someone doesn't show by intermission, you're pretty safe to slide down into their seat.

Seat cushions can be brought in or rented at the booths (there is one on the far side of the bowl, one near the top, and I believe one at either Prom 2 or Prom 3). For the past few years, Target has sponsored the 4th of July shows, and provided free seat cushions (you'll see many people carrying them), but this year there is a different sponsor, so I wouldn't count on it, bring one of your own (nothing saying ya can't use two if they give you one after all).

Picnic areas go quick. Plan on improvising with a stone wall or convenient piece of pavement or if you're really lucky, grass. Bring something to sit on, like a cloth.

BTW: I'll be in section W1 (otherwise known as the way-back of the way-back)

Pertaining to my advice earlier about ordering HB tickets via build-your-own-subscription... I just leafed through my tickets and my most expensive seats are Saturday's, at $7 apiece. Some of my seats for other concerts got bumped up to more "expensive" ones due to the lesser being sold out (yes, before individual tickets go on sale) - this means I paid $4 or $6 instead of $3. Yes, some shows are $3. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, I believe a couple of the shows had $1 seats, though they were sold out by the time I ordered mine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12