Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

July 3: Road closures planned near Anaheim Convention Center - OC Register, 6/28/07

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1747720.php

Streets around the Anaheim Convention Center are scheduled to be closed starting 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 3 for the Shriners parade.

The Shriners of North America will hold their annual convention July 1-5 at Anaheim Convention Center. The parade is being held in conjunction with the convention and will start at 9 a.m.

The parade is scheduled to start at the intersection of Chapman and West St., travel eastbound on Chapman to Harbor Blvd., turning left (northbound) on Harbor Blvd. in the southbound lanes to Convention Way, then left (westbound) on Convention Way and end at the Anaheim Marriott Hotel.
    A map of the parade route can be found at this link

http://www.imperial2007.com/parade.html
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: July 3: Road closures planned near Anaheim Convention Center - OC Register, 6/28/

That is absolutely ridiculous. Blocking off one of Orange County's busiest streets and near Disneyland on top of that, which will have a bunch of tourists running around not knowing how to bypass it.

I live in Newport Beach and every December they block off the roads around here for the Orange County Marathon and it is a complete mess. I remember one day I had to go to work during the marathon and what normally takes me 15 minutes almost took an hour! If people want to race in a marathon they should run in the park or something 100 times.

• Premium Youngling and

Re: July 3: Road closures planned near Anaheim Convention Center - OC Register, 6/28/

OMG!

I remember this from last year... HEAD FOR THE HILLS!!!

• Minion

Blog Entries

Thank you so much Darkbeer for letting us know of this... Now... To find another way to work that day... GRRR...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    That is absolutely ridiculous. Blocking off one of Orange County's busiest streets and near Disneyland on top of that, which will have a bunch of tourists running around not knowing how to bypass it.
    I'm sorry but people in Orange County have lives outside of Disneyland. A parade in any city is an inconvenience to some... does that mean they should be abolished? It's not like this is happening every day.

• Still wants to be a cat!

This one is always a hassle......just stay away or use Katella. But do expect traffic problems.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999 View Post
    This one is always a hassle......just stay away or use Katella. But do expect traffic problems.
    This one? Have the Shriners had a convention in Anaheim before? I don't remember any in recent years.

Do Shriners still wear the funny hats and drive little cars and stuff? I think it might be fun to see one of these parades in person, especially near the 4th of July as it seems such a nice, Norman Rockwell, All-American kind of thing. I don't know much about Shriners, except that they seem to be a nice group of folks who do good work for kids in need or raise money for childrens hospitals or something. And wear funny hats in parades.

Don't know about the Convention, but with the large amount of Shriner members here in OC.....there is always a parade.

- Wolfette

And yes they wear the funny hats and ride the funny scooters.

- Wolfette

Actually thinking of viewing it this year...just down the street and nothing to do that day!

- Wolfette

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

My great Uncle Jack (actually a friend of the family) was a Shriner. We have old home movies from back in the mid 50's of a huge Shriners parade that was held at Knotts Berry Farm. It was a really big deal and I remember his funny hat. Don't know what ever happened to it but wish I still had it for the memories. It is supposed to start getting really hot mid week so I kind of feel sorry for them walking in their outfits and all.

Gotta love Google! Apparently the Shriners are holding their first ever National Convention in Anaheim this year; the first time the national convention has been held in Anaheim in their 133 year history. There are 25,000 of them attending this convention. It's estimated this one big convention will bring about 20 Million dollars to the local Orange County economy during the five day run July 1-5th.

They do still wear the hats, called a "fez". And they drive the little cars. And they have 22 Shriners Hospitals that provide free medical care for children who are burn victims, have spinal cord injuries, or a cleft lip or palate. More power to 'em!

I learned all this from this press release from their website http://www.shrinershq.org/Shrine/News/news06050701.aspx

I have a growing interest in heading down just for this parade, and then maybe hit the park after. It would be fun if they wore the hats to Disneyland! It just seems like such a fun, wacky, All-American thing to have Shriners at Disneyland!

And I think it would be worth the hassle of having Harbor blocked off for a bit with alternate entrances into the parking lots.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by jett View Post
    I'm sorry but people in Orange County have lives outside of Disneyland. A parade in any city is an inconvenience to some... does that mean they should be abolished? It's not like this is happening every day.
    Did you read the rest of my post? Newport Beach is smack dab in the middle of coastal Orange County, and I have lived in Orange County for 35 of my almost 39 years, and in LA County before that.

I have a life outside of Disneyland, but when that is inconvenienced by a bunch of people who want to go running all over the place seriously I am all for getting rid of it. I would like to see how you like having to take a trip that should take only 10 or so minutes turn into an hour because you are litterally forced to drive around your city. Trust me, I will be the first one to hold a party if that marathon doesn't return.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Did you read the rest of my post? Newport Beach is smack dab in the middle of coastal Orange County, and I have lived in Orange County for 35 of my almost 39 years, and in LA County before that.

I have a life outside of Disneyland, but when that is inconvenienced by a bunch of people who want to go running all over the place seriously I am all for getting rid of it. I would like to see how you like having to take a trip that should take only 10 or so minutes turn into an hour because you are litterally forced to drive around your city. Trust me, I will be the first one to hold a party if that marathon doesn't return.
    Yes I read the rest of the post and I still don't agree in the least. Just as I said, every parade or marathon will inconvenience some people. That doesn't mean that they should never be done.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Maybe DLR should offer them the DCA parade route instead, it's just across the street and DCA is always empty (if you believe the urban myth).

^_^
    ;P
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast