Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Resident Ghost

Haunted Mansion - Ride vs. Movie

Tonight on ABC, the haunted Mansion movie was on. As many critics didn't like the movie, I was expecting something horrible. I was quite surprised to find that I enjoyed the movie. Also, I had heard that the movie didn't have enough refrences to the ride, or something like that, but I found that almost everything on the ride was in the movie, except for the stretching room. How come you ride goers didn't like the movie? And whats all this about a "story behind the ride"?

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Re: Haunted Mansion - Ride vs. Movie

You're joking right? This movie was almost as bad as battlefield earth...and that is as bad as they come!! I never heard anyone say it didn't have not enough references but it seems they tried to put TOO MANY references. It wasn't memorable and not even Eddie Murphy could save it.

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• Resident Ghost

I can't say it was GREAT. It was no pirates, but It wasn't as bad as many of today's comedies like RV, or the Spy Kids Series. It was overall, enjoyable! Eddie Murphy wasn't even over the top, which was good! Too many references? I don't unerstand. They all fit. But what I really want to know is why people don't like the movie's story, but they like the ride's better!

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

I liked the movie!!! It was hilarious!! But, it was a flop lie Country bears Jamboree!! Love all the ride references!!! Like "Welcome Foolish Mortals" and "My way!" It can never really compete with POTC.

One thing I don't understand, is what is the storyline for the ride, anyone knows??

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Maybe you have to be a SUPER DISNEY FAN to like the movie because everyone else sure didn't (INCLUDING ME)

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• Producer Extraordinaire

i have been wanting to see it and i keep thinking i'll just buy it, but it would have been nice to DVR it and not waste the money... eventhough it usually goes for a dollar on eBay haha.

• Resident Ghost

I recommend just renting it...although I almost never watch a movie more than once. And please post the rides original story if you have it.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The Haunted Mansion featured incredibly stunning set and costume design and great special effects, but the family-comedy the film was trying to be was what killed it.

Eddie Murphy should never have been in this film, the film should never have been the simple comedy that it was, and the film should never have taken place in a contemporary setting. The Haunted Mansion should have been a full-on period-piece, and more drama than comedy - a la Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, and it should not have been set in the present-day with only backstory that takes place in the antebellum period.

The Haunted Mansion was a missed opportunity, no doubt. It would have been more successful had it be truer to the experience you get in the attraction. Much of the attraction is moody, disconcerting, and creepy. Not until you get to the graveyard does the attraction really turn into a character-driven humor show, and the film should have been truer to that with a majority of it being moodier, creepier, darker story and settings, rather than an in-your-face comedy with a washed-up Eddie Murphy.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Premium Youngling and

Ride=Awesome
    Movie=Crap

That is all

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Snowman View Post
    Ride=Awesome
    Movie=Crap

That is all
    ditto
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The Haunted Mansion featured incredibly stunning set and costume design and great special effects, but the family-comedy the film was trying to be was what killed it.

Eddie Murphy should never have been in this film, the film should never have been the simple comedy that it was, and the film should never have taken place in a contemporary setting. The Haunted Mansion should have been a full-on period-piece, and more drama than comedy - a la Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, and it should not have been set in the present-day with only backstory that takes place in the antebellum period.

The Haunted Mansion was a missed opportunity, no doubt. It would have been more successful had it be truer to the experience you get in the attraction. Much of the attraction is moody, disconcerting, and creepy. Not until you get to the graveyard does the attraction really turn into a character-driven humor show, and the film should have been truer to that with a majority of it being moodier, creepier, darker story and settings, rather than an in-your-face comedy with a washed-up Eddie Murphy.
    I totally agree!!!!!

I think the reason they made it a comedy is so kids could also enjoy it. If it was too scarry for the kids I don't think Disney would have done it.
    Foolish Mortal

• =)

The Haunted Mansion movie produces conflicting feelings in me. MasterGracey, you're absolutely right that the film is visually a masterpiece. For casual ridegoers, much of it appears to be taken right out of the ride, though more discerning eyes will pick up on all the changes that were made.

But the idea of the film is stale, IMO. The whole workaholic-dad-who-needs-to-learn-the-value-of-family is a good lesson in real life, but not one that needs more big screen presence. Ironically, the film works in retrograde motion to the ride--the first three-quarters of it or so are mostly for (supposed) laughs, with a spooky atmosphere on the side. In the last quarter, it turns nasty and becomes focused purely on the evil side of things. The ride, in sharp contrast, spends quite a while being simply creepy. Claude Coats' set designs--the feel of which is not transfered too well to the film--are king for the first half or two-thirds. Then the ballroom and attic transition us to the revelation of the silly nature of the graveyard scene--turns out these ghosts just want to come out and socialize. (Another concept totally lost in the movie. In the ride, the ghosts have retired to the Haunted Mansion, so why would they leave? In the movie, they can't wait to get out, but are tethered to the house because they "can't find the light" and they're "trapped." Can you smell the baloney from here?)

Oy, I got SO excited about this movie when I saw trailers for it. I was extremely skeptical about the choice of using Eddie Murphy, but I was still hyped over the recent release of the excellent POTC:TCOTBP. I thought the Haunted Mansion would feel almost like a sequel--vastly different place, time, and characters, but still feeling like part of the Disneyland franchise. But those two movies could not be any more different.

I still rent the movie from time to time...for the visual aspects. It's funny...when I first saw the movie, I felt like the mansion itself was taken right from NOS at Disneyland. Then I compared it to photos--I hadn't been to the park in a while--and realized how different they really are. Like all other aspects of the film, the mansion really is "inspired by" the ride...not taken directly from it. They don't even follow the same architectural style! It's Greek Revival vs. Italianate!

As a man who firmly ranks Hanted Mansion as my all time favorite ride; the fact is, the film version is overly simplistic, cliche-ridden, lamely acted, and a thouroughly uninspired film.
    Eddie Murphy sounds like a bad charicature of his Shrek persona, and, as much as I love her, Jennifer Tilly, was thoroughly wasted in this film.
    In short, the movie really, realy sucks.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

The only good part of the film was the prologue.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I saw this on TV last night too for the first time... It was a pretty bad movie.
    The best part was the ride references - even a few lines from the ride was in it.

BTW, I think the stretching room was where he hung himself.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast