Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Junior Senior

I'm sort of suspecting that people who are drawing parallels between the Christian messages in Tolkien and Lewis haven't reread the Narnia books since they were little kids. While the blatant Christian message is not something you notice when you're small and reading a book about the adventures of some children and some talking animals, it really beat me over the head pretty hard as an adult rereading the same books. Tolkien is far more subtle and as somebody else pointed out, he does take a lot of elements of his stories from Celtic folktales that have been around since waaay before Christ. Lewis on the other hand is very much aware that the bulk of his audience is children, so he lays it on pretty thick.

While I can understand making a movie that appeals a lot more strongly to people of one given faith - people who don't want to listen to Christian messages can just avoid the movie (and we've seen that if a movie is seen as a good Christian film it can and will make a mint and a half, and that one was seen as too violent for children!) - I think that it's a lot harder to finesse this kind of thing in a theme park that is supposed to be (although it sometimes seems unrealistic at this point) a global tourist destination.

I guess, though, that before we make any judgments on the viability of such a scenario, we'll have to see what Disney does with the books. If they somehow manage to quiet down the Christian allegories then maybe this would be a good ride/land. Otherwise, I think it's just begging for controversy. I mean, I know there will be people who will say that Christianity is the majority religion in America just like English is the majority language so of COURSE it's fine and I'm an un-American PC nutjob for even suggesting otherwise - but hey, that's what I do. Disney is trying to make money here and I think that alienating many subsets of the incredibly diverse LA metropolitan area would be a bad thing.

That said, thanks to this thread, I'm watching the Apple trailers featurettes on the movie - and it looks freaking great. So, I think my official stance is going to be to wait and see. I'd entrust WETA with my own dreams.

Of course, the question of whether we want more pre-established characters and stories at DL is a whole other issue...but sometimes that too seems like it's moving towards moot.

• Closed Account

Maybe all this crap should go into DCA.

• Parmageddon Jim

If they decide to build "E" ticket attractions in the area behind Big Thunder and they aren't "E" ticket attractions in Discovery Bay, I will lay down on the floor and cry. And by "floor," I mean the ground in front of the entrance of whatever it is that isn't Discovery Bay.

Now, as for Narnia-Land. When the serious revamping of DCA occurs, making the Hollywood Backlot the jumping off point, all the more movie tie-in stuff that can be crammed in, the better.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigertail777
    again off topic, but Tolkien based a great deal of his writings on myths and legends (mostly celtic) that had nothing to do with christianity. Some of the legends he used, have their core basis in stories that were around before christianity. Tolkien himself stated that his writings were his own version of some of the myths and legends that he loved to study. He also did abhor anyone even remotely referring to his stories as allegorical. I do personally subscribe to the theory that the time period had a hand in his thinking; hitler and the war, even though he categorically denied it his entire life. Just because there is good vs evil does not immediately imply christianity, those themes have been around since the dawn of man.
    FWIW, Tolkien himself said that TLOTR is "fundamentally religious and Catholic" (Tolkien-A Celebration, Joseph Pearce, page 103). That said, it is very true that it is not an Christian allegory in the sense that the Narnia Chronicles are.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mp3piratesavvy

No!
    That sums it up for me too. There are way too many lands in Disneyland as it is at this point. Critter Country? What dreck!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd
    If they decide to build "E" ticket attractions in the area behind Big Thunder and they aren't "E" ticket attractions in Discovery Bay, I will lay down on the floor and cry. And by "floor," I mean the ground in front of the entrance of whatever it is that isn't Discovery Bay.

Now, as for Narnia-Land. When the serious revamping of DCA occurs, making the Hollywood Backlot the jumping off point, all the more movie tie-in stuff that can be crammed in, the better.
    Well, I honestly don't think Discovery Bay has any real draw to Bob and Mary Smith, 4 kids, living in Aliso Viejo. I'd LOVE to see that, too, but I am resigned to the fact that this concept is dead for Disneyland. There's no real draw to justify that level of expenditure on something quaint and different (and based on Disney designs of yesteryear) but what's the draw to non-MiceChatter types?

Now, before Matt signs off on WOODY JESSIE LAND, I would love to get something a little more highbrow in the works. That was my reason for suggesting this movie property in the first place.

If NARNIA LAND is built, I think it would be mythical and mysterious and cool and more immersive and interesting to people of all ages than another PIXARLAND. Isn't that what Tomorrowland is now?

I say enough Pixar overlays, let's get a few other (new) ideas in there.

Oh and thanks to those of you who had really positive and interesting comments. Even those who arent convinced but at least are willing to engage in an educated conversation about this.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeralineDragon
    I loved the Narnia books, but I just don't see how they'd translate the Chronicles into rides. I don't think talking animals would do it
    thats true.Also, the subs are actually one of the most loved attractions. I think thats a good idea, but not in place of the subs.

Sorry, putting that garbage in DL would be a definite deal-breaker.

...and it STILL wouldn't solve the problem of originality. It's definitely not new or original or creative.
    Woo. Another bought franchise.

*yawn*
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

The problem I see with this idea is it's not a broad enough Theme for Disneyland to have an entire Land dedicated to it. Sure, you can build countless rides, landscapes and Attractions around the idea but the idea itself is doomed to becoming dated right from the start.

Take the current "Land's" of Disneyland - they are all centered around very wide Themes that allow them to remain timeless and can always grow & be improved. The exception to this is New Orleans Square which can't grow but has two fantastic Attractions (Mansion & Pirates) that represent general Themes so they can be re-invented to meet the demands and needs of a future audiance. For this reason I believe "Discovery" is a suitable brother to the likes of Frontier, Fantasy, Toon's, Tomorrow & Adventure - No matter where you are in the world, these themes are commonly known and always evolving. You can see "Narnia" doesn't really fit this picture. Even so, I do not doubt they will put something Narnia orientated in one of the Disney Parks - the two most appropriate in my mind being the Disney Studios or DCA (on the proviso they dropped California from the name, practically anything would fit in a "Disney's Adventure Park"). If they did put something themed around Narnia in DL, I'd say Fantasy land would be the place for it to go & what do you know, they already have a nice big spot for it where the old Motorboat cruise ran!

The dead end at Critter Country does need to be opened up with something one day when the time is right. I too would love to see a new Land developed and ran beyond the berm from Big Thunder ranch to Critter Country - mind you as they are two of the smallest lands in the Park with the least to offer, both of these Themes could be further explored so they simply link together around the back?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by woxel1
    My thoughts... I don't feel comfortable walking into a land with a big © next to it.

Yes, "a bug's land", I'm looking at you.
    Hehehehehehe...*snicker*

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by circleVision
    Maybe all this crap should go into DCA.
    tv movies belong in DCA. Well said Circlevision.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Banned User

How about they expand Fantasyland and incorporate a narnia miniland in that?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    tv movies belong in DCA. Well said Circlevision.
    You sure do demonstrate how little you know about CS Lewis, Disney feature films, and jr high level English. I said the trailer (preview) of WALT DISNEY PICTURES' upcoming release "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe", it's biggest budgeted franchise in years, based on a series of beloved books, was being shown in movie theaters, on ABC and on AOL.

So why dont you actually watch the trailer and do a little research before you open your mouth and shoot down everyone else's ideas pal.

You just end up looking stupid, as nobody said anything about a TV movie.

• Parmageddon Jim

Such witty reparteť.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    For those of you who are interested, check out:

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - official site for the movie based on the children's novel by C.S. Lewis. Features character and cast and crew info, wallpaper, and behind-the-scenes video clips.

NarniaWeb - source for Narnia movie-related news.
    IMDb: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe - cast, crew, and other info about the movie based on the C.S. Lewis children's book and directed by Andrew Adamson.

Apple.com Trailers: The Chronicles of Narnia - behind-the-scenes featurette. In QuickTime format.

Movies.com: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - movie details and pre-release buzz.

theZreview.co.uk: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe - features a large archive of news updates.

ComingSoon.net: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - synopsis, links, and news updates.

NarniaFans.com: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - contains wallpaper images, cast and crew list, an FAQ, and release dates.

About.com: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe - full movie guide, with interviews, cast info, news, and photos.

Coming Attractions: Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe - inside buzz about the movie.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast