Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• I love that tiny bear!

Re: Narnia, the new land at Disneyland

I love Narnia, but I don't think a Narnia land would really fit in Disneyland. A ride could go in Fantasyland or Critter Country if absolutely necessary. But live-action, 3-D talking animals aren't really the same as the animated talking animals of Critter Country. And live-action tales of daring don't quite mesh with the animated films of Fantasyland, either. And as noted repeatedly, where would they find the room?

(Of course, I don't really like Pooh being used so heavily by Disney either. Although, the animation style of Pooh isn't too far off of Song of the South, so it works better aesthetically than Narnia would IMO. Pixar items probably don't belong in DL as well, but I like their recent films so much more than the recent Disney films, so it's hard for me to rail against using them.)

As much as I'd love to see Narnia in a park I can actually visit without too much trouble, I don't think the British story would fit at all in DCA. I DO think a Narnia land in Animal Kingdom could work, though; it seems like they've gone towards talking dinosaurs on occasion, so why not talking animals? If done well, I'd love to see it, but I think DL is full enough of (mostly) Disney characters, they don't need to kidnap them from other sources.

(I would kind of like to see a Narnia show in Fantasyland Theater, though that might be partly because they need SOMETHING there to keep people off the crowded walkways!)

If a Narnia ride WERE put in, I wonder what it would entail? Just another fairly low-budget dark ride, or something immersive? I like the Dawn Treader idea (even though it was my least favorite of the books, really). Or maybe the Dawn Treader could sail around the Rivers of America, and the river scenes could be replaced by Narnian ones?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well it could go in the real estate that was once slated to be Discovery Bay (a land Tony Baxter developed for the area now called Big Thunder Ranch, which never came into being.) Mr. and Mrs. Claus will be leaving first of January.

• CM for 4 years!

Actually I think Mr. and Mrs. Clause might leave after the 2nd of January, because New Year's Day is going to be observed on that Monday.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

I highly doubt DL will see any Narnia attractions or lands anytime soon. All the money for new stuff seems to be going to WDW, so if anything, they'll get Narnia tie ins. I agree that Animal Kingdom would be perfect for a Narnia area as it was always in their plans to have a section devoted to mythical animals.
    "Disney Crystal Power! Make-Up!"

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Narnia, the new land at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Helios77
    I highly doubt DL will see any Narnia attractions or lands anytime soon. All the money for new stuff seems to be going to WDW, so if anything, they'll get Narnia tie ins. I agree that Animal Kingdom would be perfect for a Narnia area as it was always in their plans to have a section devoted to mythical animals.

The launch of NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE is the most significant post-Eisner development that Iger can get credit for. If he makes Harry Potter dollars on this franchise, I suspect he will want to put his own personal stamp on Disneyland and the Disney parks. I wouldn't expect him to be as enamored of the past, and more focused on the present and future of the company. As such, whatever huge hits he has will translate to bricks and morter (or the illusion thereof) in the theme parks.

Why would he revive "The Little Mermaid" now? That was Jeffrey Katzenberg and Michael Eisner's baby. Narnia, Cars and so forth are going to be more interesting to Iger.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well, has anybody read this story about HARRY POTTER theme park rights possibly being purchased by Disney?

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1787

I would think they'd rather promote NARNIA, as I stated before.

Hmmm

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Helios77

Well if the Narnia attraction and Disneyland Land work out, they could replicate it at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

I really think a land wouldn't do Narnia Justice.... there's enough material in the books to build a whole park (as with Harry Potter). I'm actuallly making a Narnia-based park in my computer.
    I have a dream
    A song to sing
    To help me cope
    Trough everything

If you see the wonder
    of a FairyTale
    You can take the future
    even if you fail...

I believe in Angels
    Something good in everything I see
    I believe in Angels
    When I know the time is right for me...

I'll cross the stream.... I have a dream

In my opinion, Narnia just doesn't feel like Disney to me (even though Disney did the movie). I love the idea of a Finding Nemo submarine ride and I'm so glad it's on the way!

Narnia the film, whilst enjoyable I don't think it quite reaches the status of deserving it's own area or Attraction no more than the Incredibles or Cars do. But in saying that they seem to be pressing with plans for rides on those so who knows?

Personal observation:
    The kid friendly feel of Narnia (LWATW) was a tad too much. As an Adult, I very much enjoy the Harry Potter books and find they translate perfectly onto film whilst keeping the entire Audience captivated. Disney has made Narnia specifically for kids. This is a shame

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well I was thinking "Narnia Square" just a retheme of Big Thunder Ranch between Rivers of America and Fantasyland.

• defenestrate

does disney own all the rights to the narnia story? do they have the rights only for a limited time? that might be a problem if they installed anything perminant and narnia oriented

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

They have a contract to do a series of films so considering what J.H. has been saying about Tony Baxter and John Lasssiter discussing more simultaneous development of motion pictures and theme park attractions, this might be just the synergy that Disney has been lacking: day and date openings of the movie and the theme park attraction.

Isn't that what Al has said about the Pirates refurb? It reopens with the star studded Disneyland premiere of PotC2.

• The Uber Film Geek

The kid friendly feel of Narnia (LWATW) was a tad too much. As an Adult, I very much enjoy the Harry Potter books and find they translate perfectly onto film whilst keeping the entire Audience captivated. Disney has made Narnia specifically for kids. This is a shame

Personally, I'd be disappointed if this wasn't the case. The books were written for an audience of 7-11 year olds, and the film was made for this same audience. As an adult I appreciate films that are made for a younger audience even if I don't get as wrapped up in them.
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

I agree captveg. I enjoyed the movie although not as much as i had expected but my children were captivated by it. By the look of its total intake so far in the theatres it looks like the aproach they took work. The movie should easily outperform the last Harry potter movie.

Hopefully the next several installments show the same degree of quality when it comes to its superb CGI effects many of which were much more believable than the Harry Potter ones.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast