Mom Heading to Disneyland 7/9 what should she know

Well time to come out of lurking mode

I miss california at times like this. I've not been to Disnelyand since 1995 or so (they were building the Indiana Jones Ride if that gives the right time frame)

Anyhow between this and a few other sites I think I keep a good idea of whats going on.

My mother, her husband, and my step brother are all on vacataion in California and I've mangaed to talk her into going to Disneyland before they come back she hasn't been since I was there and her husband and my step brother never have been.

Anyhow, is there anything in the way of 'don't miss' these days other than the fireworks? (And as I understand it its pretty much a 'must view' from the hub?) Should she bother getting a ticket that covers DCA as well, or don't waste time/money. What about coordinating the various shows (fantasmic, the fireworks, etc), any advice on how to get the most out of her visit

This will probably be the one and only trip for my Step Brother and I really want to make the most of it for him. Told her I'd seek some advice from the experts

Thanks

• insufferable know-it-all

Catch the 2nd showing of Fantasmic, because you really want to be on main street for the fireworks... make sure they have a clear view of the matterhorn, the castle, and the sky just up to the left of the castle. If you have a choice, try to be either in the center of main street, or skewed slightly to the east side.

If they're not big DL enthusiasts, then it's probably not essential to visit the 50th exhibit on Main Street, but that's not to say it isn't a nice thing to do anyway.

IASW is a cultural phenomenon, so whether or not it's "your thing", it ought to be done once. Shorter line at night.

Do all the mountains: Matterhorn, Splash, Thunder, and, if it's open, Space

Do the Haunted Mansion

Do Pirates

Do Indy

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by evainefaye
    Well time to come out of lurking mode

I miss california at times like this. I've not been to Disnelyand since 1995 or so (they were building the Indiana Jones Ride if that gives the right time frame)

Anyhow between this and a few other sites I think I keep a good idea of whats going on.

My mother, her husband, and my step brother are all on vacataion in California and I've mangaed to talk her into going to Disneyland before they come back she hasn't been since I was there and her husband and my step brother never have been.

Anyhow, is there anything in the way of 'don't miss' these days other than the fireworks? (And as I understand it its pretty much a 'must view' from the hub?) Should she bother getting a ticket that covers DCA as well, or don't waste time/money. What about coordinating the various shows (fantasmic, the fireworks, etc), any advice on how to get the most out of her visit

This will probably be the one and only trip for my Step Brother and I really want to make the most of it for him. Told her I'd seek some advice from the experts

Thanks
    I'm not one to answer about DCA with my Negative Nelly attitude, but in this case and only in this case I would say to get a hopper pass. It's so crowded that you can get relief at DCA. Also, don't try to see everything in a day or you will miss many under the radar things. Take your time and enjoy the great feeling of "coming home."

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

A few months ago another new member posted the following thread which resulted in many good tips when she asked about how to approach her first time visit to Disneyland. She also started other threads that contain a huge amount of advice on enjoying the parks in the middle of July. Go to Members List and look for the threads started by her and bring a notepad.

Enjoy your trip!

http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=2554

• Rock Star Minion

One day, at those prices, in summer, on a Saturday? I would have suggested not going.

If you insist, though:
    1. Get there early. At the "rope drop."
    2. Set up Ridemax for them (i.e., pay for it), if they're interested in going commando (not, not that "going commando").
    3. For going on only one busy day, there usually isn't much time to walk out and over to DCA, not like it, and then go back to DL, so I recommend against the extra $20 for a park-hopper.
    4. Fireworks first, then the second show of Fantasmic! It makes for a long day, starting at 8AM (?) rope drop and then ending with a 11PM or so finish of Fantasmic! And it might be hot during the day. I suggest a nice long linner (or dunch) at about 3PM in Downtown Disney or one of the hotels. Take the monorail in and out of DL.

Others can provide details, but these are the main points. Without knowing your family's particular interests (thrills or nostalgia), it's hard to recommend any particular attractions. Suffice it to say, there are a lot of them, and seeing 10 or 11 of them in one busy summer day should be considered a success.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."