Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• NenaMosh

(Yet another) AP upgrade question...sorry

I'm sure you're all sick of answering these but I have an AP upgrade question.

We're taking our 5 year old for her birthday in a few days and I really want to buy a SoCal AP for myself and for her (my husband is fine with going once every couple of years - yeah - crazy, right?) That's the pass I can afford right now. So let's say I purchase the SoCal AP on July 10th. I realize it's a blackout day but my understanding is you can still go in that day since you're purchasing an AP.

Anyhow, my question is if I decide to upgrade our pass say, next June (coz I'll be working full time again by then), will they apply the whole SoCal pass amount of $154 towards our upgraded passes and will they be valid for another whole year? Pretty much, I buy in July 2007, upgrade June 2008 and my pass expires June 2009 and all I've paid for two years is the price of one years Deluxe or Premium AP? It kinda seems too good to be true. Is this how it works?

Thank you in advance for any help

Re: (Yet another) AP upgrade question...sorry

If I am correct, no. If you buy it in July 2007 and decide to upgrade in June 2008. You will still have to pay the full price for upgrading AND it will expire in July 2008. So if you plan on upgrading at all, i would do it now. An again I am not 100% sure so please don't bash me if Im not correct.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Um, I'm not sure if I understand BUT.
    You buy So Cal Select July 1, 2007.
    You upgrade to Deluxe June 1, 2008.
    Upgrade i only for a month.
    yOur pass still expires July 1, 2008
    Yeah, you can only upgrade until your first pass expires.
    Sorry
    If you want to upgrade, I say upgrade ASAP.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

Could I give a friend my ticket from 2 days at DL, for her to upgrade to a So. Cal. pass? I am not wanting to do anything illegal, I just won't have any use for it afterward and I have paid for that ticket. Thanks!

• NenaMosh

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Um, I'm not sure if I understand BUT.
    You buy So Cal Select July 1, 2007.
    You upgrade to Deluxe June 1, 2008.
    Upgrade i only for a month.
    yOur pass still expires July 1, 2008
    Yeah, you can only upgrade until your first pass expires.
    Sorry
    If you want to upgrade, I say upgrade ASAP.

Aaah, I see. I had read about being able to upgrade your AP, I just hadn't read if it still expired exactly 1 year from the original purchase date. Like I said, it sounded way too good to be true...lol.

I guess I'll just stick with my SoCal pass for this year and next year I'll renew and upgrade to a Deluxe or Premium, depending on our financial situation.

Thank you very much for clearing that up since we'll probably be going sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Nenamosh: When you upgrade an existing pass, you pay the full cost of the upgrade, even if you only get the benefits during that last month. It can be worth it if you are going to spend a week or more at the parks during a blackout time on the cheap pass, and the price of the AP upgrade is less than buying full price tickets for the same period. Also consider the AP Discounts.

IHeartDisneyland: Clarify what you're thinking... If you upgrade a multi-day ticket to an AP, they apply the full value to the AP and there are no more remaining days on the old ticket - you can't give it to anyone else to use since it's now "used up".

You could give someone a regular ticket with days remaining if you can't use them. And that person could upgrade it to an AP but it would backdate to the first day the ticket was used for admission.

Technically all the ticket media are not transferable, but there is no easy way to trace a regular ticket and prove it. First, they would need a reason to become suspicious that the ticket was transferred. Then they would have to trace it back to a credit card (if used) or look up the security video at the ticket booth if they paid cash, and make the holder explain how they got a ticket someone else they don't know paid for...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Ok, here is the best plan, and I am going to use the current AP prices, of course the 2008 amount might be higher.

On July 10th, 2007, you buy a SoCal AP for $159.

Then on June 11th, 2008 you decide to renew to a Deluxe AP. Disney will give you $20 off for a renewal of a Deluxe or Premium AP, even if your prior AP was of a different type. So you would just pay $219 (instead of $239).

Now, you can only renew up to 30 days in advance of the expiration date, and that is why I said June 11th, 2008.

But you get a second benefit, and that is you now have a Deluxe AP for 13 months good from June 2008 until July 2009.

So you do have to pay for two years, in this case $159 and then $219, but you do get the discount and the extra month of the higher AP.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• NenaMosh

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Ok, here is the best plan, and I am going to use the current AP prices, of course the 2008 amount might be higher.

On July 10th, 2007, you buy a SoCal AP for $159.

Then on June 11th, 2008 you decide to renew to a Deluxe AP. Disney will give you $20 off for a renewal of a Deluxe or Premium AP, even if your prior AP was of a different type. So you would just pay $219 (instead of $239).

Now, you can only renew up to 30 days in advance of the expiration date, and that is why I said June 11th, 2008.

But you get a second benefit, and that is you now have a Deluxe AP for 13 months good from June 2008 until July 2009.

So you do have to pay for two years, in this case $159 and then $219, but you do get the discount and the extra month of the higher AP.
    Aaah, that sounds like a great plan. Thank you

I thought I would ask my question here instead of creating a new thread.
    My friend bought a 5 day hopper at the disney store and she only used 3 of the days. She said she'd give it to me so I can surprise my boyfirend and use it to upgrade him with an AP for his birthday.

I did a search on the board and found some people who have said that if the hopper was paid for with a credit card, that I won't be able to use it since he is not the name on the credit card used. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this question? If that is true, how can that be when I am sure people buy gift hoppers all the time.

Also, does anyone know of any issue with upgrading to an AP using hoppers purchased at the Disney store? I would think not but I am afraid of any snags in the birthday surprise plans.

Also wondering if the upgrade value can also be applied to the cost of a parking pass.
    Last edited by PrettiestPrincess; 09-25-2007 at 03:04 PM.

bump for the additional question

• Rock Star Minion

It sounds very wrong to me, so I cannot, in good conscience, advise you what to do.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by PrettiestPrincess View Post
    My friend bought a 5 day hopper at the disney store and she only used 3 of the days. She said she'd give it to me so I can surprise my boyfirend and use it to upgrade him with an AP for his birthday.

I did a search on the board and found some people who have said that if the hopper was paid for with a credit card, that I won't be able to use it since he is not the name on the credit card used. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this question? If that is true, how can that be when I am sure people buy gift hoppers all the time.

Also, does anyone know of any issue with upgrading to an AP using hoppers purchased at the Disney store? I would think not but I am afraid of any snags in the birthday surprise plans.

Also wondering if the upgrade value can also be applied to the cost of a parking pass.
    It's really not the right thing to do (since all ticket media are supposed to be non-transferable) but you can do it. If Disney didn't make it a habit to keep cranking the admission prices up each year well past their increased costs (without doing that much to add value to the parks) I might have more sympathy for them.

If there are questions, have a copy of the original purchase receipt for the ticket with you, and say it was a gift. Knowing the purchaser might be a help if they do question it.

And some of the tickets expire 14 - 30 - 60 days from first use, it varies - read the fine print on the back, you might have to do this ASAP so it's still valid.

--<< Bruce >>--

• Proud "Dis-nerd"

Note once the hopper is used it's only good for a certain amount of days from that point, so you'd have a limited number of time to use the remaining days. People buy tickets as gifts all the time, and so you could upgrade using gift tickets, but using half a multi-day hopper as an upgrade to an AP? Sounds a bit dodgy to me. You might just call up the usual number for Disneyland inquiries and explain the situation and see what they suggest.

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/blendywee

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize that it was morally questionable. In all of the other discussions I read, no one ever said anything about it being wrong. Didn't really see the difference between her upgrading to an AP and someone else doing it. The AP is still being purchased, right?

However, I'm not going to take the chance of having a mess on his birthday, so oh well. It just seems a waste for her hopper to go unused.
    Last edited by PrettiestPrincess; 09-26-2007 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize that it was morally questionable. In all of the other discussions I read, no one ever said anything about it being wrong. Didn't really see the difference between her upgrading to an AP and someone else doing it. The AP is still being purchased, right?

However, I'm not going to take the chance of having a mess on his birthday, so oh well. It just seems a waste for her hopper to go unused.
    Using the hopper up for the birthday trip isn't that morally wrong, since the admission WAS paid for. And they don't check ID's at the gate, so feel free to go use it up.

It's just the transfer/upgrade part that gets a bit sticky. They do go into the computers for that, and the name mis-match might be noticed.

(It's a true long shot they would say anything since people buy others tickets on their card all the time. But people go to the track and bet on the 500:1 horses, hoping for all the front-runners to pull up lame...)

If you don't feel comfortable in the white lie of "she gave him the ticket as an early birthday present..." if the subject comes up, I'd skip that part. Next time you're ready to go you both go buy your AP's.

--<< Bruce >>--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast