Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Talking Best DL President

Aside from Walt himself... which is obvious... please list who you feel was the best and why.

Best- Matt Ouimett, put Tiki back together, gave Jungle a much needed Re-Hab, fought for our guns, new costumes, green lighted and restored the Lilly Belle, fixed Main Street, Fought for better fireworks... list keeps going... Ed has some big shoes to fill. I am not 100% why Matt "left" but IMOHP it had a lot to do with the amount he had to spend to restore the park, due to Pressler and Harris's neglect.

Worst- Pressler and Harris- turned the entire park into a giant Disney store, gutted the "spare parts" to stash more merch so the rides broke but the stores were fully stocked. Neglected the park so much the paint peeled and there were articles in the OC Register.

Hopefully we can get some imput from some older CM's, I can't rate someone if I never worked under them.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Re: Best DL President

I agree Matt was the best recent President...but top of the list for me is split between Disney Legends Ron Dominguez and Dick Nunis. These tough cookies were the ones that really set the standard for Disney theme parks. The standards that Matt tried to get back to.

They were tough...took no bull when it came to doing what was best for the park, the cast, and the guests. They believed if you gave the public the best...the bottom line would naturally follow. They also knew how to have fun...and encouraged it among others. But never at the expense of the "show."

Of course...they had great people working under them that helped their rep. But they were true "leaders" in every sense of the word. Recent and current "caretakers" pale in comparison these days, IMHO.

Matt did great...but these two literally created the business that made the name Disneyland respected world-wide, and made the name synonymous with "the best."

For those of you that never had the chance to see the Disneyland that existed under their leadership...you literally don't know what you're missing today.

BTW...I'm not sure the position "President of Disneyland" always existed. I think there were other titles for it over the years.

I personally knew every Disneyland "President" except one very early on (and the current one I haven't met yet). I can't remember his name. He was before Nunis. Seem to recall a rumor this guy got fired for some hankie-pankie in the office or something like that. Very hush-hush at the time.

• Zero Blockout Dates

CM Matt.

Ed G really reminds me of the Pressler/That Harriss Woman era.
    Just a feeling...

No, wait, even THEY were in the parks more than Ed is.

These days I almost wish Disney would lease TDR to the OLC to run.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati View Post
    CM Matt.

Ed G really reminds me of the Pressler/That Harriss Woman era.
    Just a feeling...

No, wait, even THEY were in the parks more than Ed is.

These days I almost wish Disney would lease TDR to the OLC to run.
    I heard Ed was seen in the park picking up trash, he couldn't be that bad.

I have never been a CM, but from what I have heard Pressler and Harris are satanic and evil and they should be imprisoned for life.

as much as i did not agree on alot of things the pressler and harris did, i will give them credit for HMH and small world holiday. but i really do miss matt. he really did now what disney was all about. With ed well it seems like he is a puppet to jay. and yes he was seen around sweeping trash but it was for a photo op!

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by lesmisfan View Post
    as much as i did not agree on alot of things the pressler and harris did, i will give them credit for HMH and small world holiday. but i really do miss matt. he really did now what disney was all about. With ed well it seems like he is a puppet to jay. and yes he was seen around sweeping trash but it was for a photo op!
    Kinda OT

HMH (Big Smile)

I could ALMOST take back every bad thought I ever had about Pressler/ThatHarrissWoman for this attraction alone....almost

Jay Rusalo .... A New Disney Villain for a New Millennium
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• love my friends

my hubby worked there when Cindy (cant remmeber her last name was pres) he liked her alot.. she would meet the employees alot.. he worked 3rd shiuft custodian and she would even come into the night to meet themn

I worked 3rd shift custodian when matt was pres.. never ever saw him

Friends for life

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    my hubby worked there when Cindy (cant remmeber her last name was pres) he liked her alot..
    Cynthia Harris?

• Embrace the kitsch!

Question Re: Best DL President

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    I personally knew every Disneyland "President" except one very early on (and the current one I haven't met yet). I can't remember his name. He was before Nunis. Seem to recall a rumor this guy got fired for some hankie-pankie in the office or something like that. Very hush-hush at the time.
    Jim Cora?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Cynthia Harris?
    Wouldn't surprise me. She was actually quite a nice lady. I heard she was actually quite good with Cast Members and they liked her a lot. I don't think she deserves the bad rap she gets because Pressler was her boss and you can't not listen to the boss.

She did try to re-hab the park when Pressler left. The park in 2003 was essentially a total construction zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Jim Cora?
    Oh dear no. That wasn't Jim!

Jim Cora (Disney Legend) was first rate and just recently retired from the company after heading up Disneyland International and opening Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, and Tokyo Disney Seas.

Jim actually stood up to Eisner et al just about better than anyone. Probably why he "retired" early. Real old school about quality. First class guy.

Ron, John Cora, Jim Cora (yes...brothers)...a couple of others in top Disneyland management that also happened to be hispanic...they were humorously known internally as the "Disneyland Mexican Mafia."

Beside...while Jim was certainly one of the heads of Disneyland Operations for a number of years (and helped design those operations)...he never held the top spot in Anaheim. He was one of Ron's guys. After Nunis.

Oh no. The guy that got fired...no way he's a Disney Legend! Well...at least not that kind of legend!

• "I Break Things"

I can only speak for those I worked with. My time is small in comparison to others which is why I started this thread, I know there have been ups and downs over the years and wanted imput on other peoples thoughts.

Paul Pressler- slashed the budget and allowed stores to take priority. Also not sure if he "started" it but under him all stores standardized merchandise so the lands lost their unique atmosphere.

Cynthia Harris- continued the stores first standard and expanded the merchandise line. Also comitted lots of money to CM parties and backstage projects. Made CM's somewhat happy but in reality the rides continued to deteriorate.

Matt Quimet- for the FIRST TIME in a very LONG TIME the president of the park would walk around, go through lines, be a guest on weekends and actually expereince the park in costume and out. As a Skip I met Matt so many times I lost track. It was a privlidge to know someone who had that level of commitment to the park. I can't say enough about him. Thank You is about all I can think of.

• Closed Account

um, hello!?? Jack Lindquist anyone!!????? He kept the park quality going w/ after the Card Walker era and the beginning of Eisner. He brought us the greatest Dl celebration, the 30th. Even the 50th could not compare to the Gift Giver, the 250millionth guest, the DL Bday special on NBC, the DL Cast/Guest OpenHouse, the CM 30th parade, free lithos, the parade. And it just kept going up until Toontown and the 40th. Under Jack, DL gained the NATIONAL attention it deserved while keeping to its standards.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    the DL Cast/Guest OpenHouse
    I've only seen the footage of the open house but I would have loved to take my kids and let them see the Jungle animals close up.

Sidebar- That was also a different time when the entire park structure was more "family" and less "profit". Back then they had people vested in the company all the way from new hire to retire... now they hire, train, and leave usually within a 2 or 3 month time span. The "lead" at times is usually the only one with a year pin. Disney spends a fortune training people, but refuses to pay them a decent wage so they walk out just as quickly as they walk in. They've already lowered the hiring requirements (criminal records and prior work history are sometimes overlooked, not scrutinized) , physical appearance standards (facial hair) and the availibility demands (you can now work ONLY weekends year round including summer)... and they still can't keep people. Guests complain about bad service, in a way it is the "you get what you pay for" mentality, except they paid a premium to get in and CM's are paid pennies on the dollar. You can argue that they aren't skilled, and I would agree, but then I would turn around and ask why everything costs so much when all the merchandise is "made in China" and most of the food and drink is heavily discounted because it is bought in bulk.

CM Matt. Hands down. At least for recent times. He KNEW what needed to be done and fought tooth and nail for it.

Pressler/Hariss...Oh, holy heck. Save me. Cynthia was nice...but Oh, good lord. they are the evil incarnate.

You should have seen them scatter the day t he tree fell on the train tracks (they were in the park...I was one of the CM's on the train..)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast