Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Enceinte in Disneyland

Hello all.

I was talking with my oldest brother's wife over the weekend. Seems some freinds of theirs from Reno came down to visit them and they all visited Disneyland and we got to talking about Disneyland in general.

In the course of our discussion, my sister-in-law told me that when Disneyland first opened they didn't allow pregnant women inside the park. I said that this can't be true because my mother had 5 of us and surely she must have been allowed in while she was pregnant with at least one of us. My mom is 77 and she couldn't remember if this was the case or not -- which leads me to think they did allow them in, but I don't know.

So, a question to you old timers -- even older than me -- is if this was true or not. That at one point in Disneyland history pregnant women were not allowed in the park?

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Re: Enceinte in Disneyland

I don't know the answer to your question, but it would seem fitting for the time period. You couldn't say or even ellude to pregnancy on television, so maybe that trickled down to the park. I would hate to think that DL would make something so wonderful into something to be ashamed of....

A bit of interesting history though! I hope you get your answer soon. I for one would love to know. ^_^

• Comin' at ya!

I have no flippin' idea....I could see both sides being true.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

I grew up in Orange County. I was the second of six children; my older sister was born in 1961. My mother went to Disneyland while pregnant with every one of us.

I realize the park opened in 1955 but I think the "good manners" standards would have prohibited someone from asking a large-ish woman if she is pregnant. How insulting, if she is merely obese! (This did happen once to my sister who is very heavy; the questioner was mortified because she was trying to be pleasant, not insulting.) I once heard advice: "You must never ask a woman if she is pregnant unless you observe a baby coming out of her and you might need to assist a multiple birth."

I do recall several of the rides recommending that pregnant women should not ride, however.

Katprint

• Fighter Pilot

when they mention "first opened" they probably meant literally the first opening months. I could see how the preggers wouldn't be allowed in, maybe it was just to make sure every ride and the park was safe, cause last thing Walt would probably want is an injury. But I think they meant first opening months then year/decade.

• Defying gravity

Not letting pregnant women in doesn't make much sense. First of all, besides the Matterhorn, there weren't many rough rides back then. Also, what if a women was only a few months pregnant and wasn't showing yet?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Tell your sister in law she is DEAD WRONG!

UGGGHHH!!!! This has got to be one the
    the most obviously twisted rumors I have
    EVER heard about DL. DL has NEVER had
    ANY pregnancy preclusions for entering the
    park. She actually thinks DL had
    Pregnancy Police at the front gate of DL????
    PLEASE, spare me!

And remember, when DL first opened there
    was an entry ticket charge of $.99. The
    ride tickets, A, B, C and D ( and later E)
    tickets. And there were a couple of freebie
    attractions over the years ~ so if you just
    wanted to enter the park, it was only $.99.

There was however, and still remains a dress
    code for guests, however, it is MUCH more
    lenient than it was in the early years.

Pregnancy police, Uggggh! Preposterous!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post

The only rule being you have to be dressed?
    Mike

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Katprint View Post
    I grew up in Orange County. I was the second of six children; my older sister was born in 1961. My mother went to Disneyland while pregnant with every one of us.

I realize the park opened in 1955 but I think the "good manners" standards would have prohibited someone from asking a large-ish woman if she is pregnant. How insulting, if she is merely obese! (This did happen once to my sister who is very heavy; the questioner was mortified because she was trying to be pleasant, not insulting.) I once heard advice: "You must never ask a woman if she is pregnant unless you observe a baby coming out of her and you might need to assist a multiple birth."

I do recall several of the rides recommending that pregnant women should not ride, however.

Katprint
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Not letting pregnant women in doesn't make much sense. First of all, besides the Matterhorn, there weren't many rough rides back then. Also, what if a women was only a few months pregnant and wasn't showing yet?
    While I don't know this to be absolutely yes or absolutely no, I can't imagine it to be true, really. I agree with the above quote posts - they seem to lean towards the idea that pregnant women were allowed into the park regardless of their physical status.

There have been questions as to weather or not they had segregated restrooms for blacks and whites in the 50's, etc - and while it seems to have been surmised that they did NOT have those, I can't imagine that they would discriminate against a pregnant woman coming into the park. Granted, for safety reasons, I can see that she mightn't be allowed to partake in the fun of certain attractions, but to not allow a woman into the park because she was pregnant seems somewhat perposterous to me. Not only that, if it were true, I'm sure it would be something that would have been notated FAR longer ago than just here on MiceChat. My point being, there is actual documentation that they were not allowed to say the word PREGNANT on TV (for instance, on "I Love Lucy" - Lucy could never say she was pregnant - just that she was having a baby or 'going to be a mother') Since we know this funny truth about television, I think that if it were true about Disneyland, we'd know about it by now and not just discussing a rumor.

So, now that I have made a short response long (sorry) - I believe pregnant women were indeed allowed in to Disneyland in 1955 and beyond.

Thanks for reading - again, sorry so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    My point being, there is actual documentation that they were not allowed to say the word PREGNANT on TV (for instance, on "I Love Lucy" - Lucy could never say she was pregnant - just that she was having a baby or 'going to be a mother')
    OT: I recall Ricky and Lucy slept in separate twin beds. LOL!

Katprint

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Tell your sister in law she is DEAD WRONG!

UGGGHHH!!!! This has got to be one the
    the most obviously twisted rumors I have
    EVER heard about DL. DL has NEVER had
    ANY pregnancy preclusions for entering the
    park. She actually thinks DL had
    Pregnancy Police at the front gate of DL????
    PLEASE, spare me!

And remember, when DL first opened there
    was an entry ticket charge of $.99. The
    ride tickets, A, B, C and D ( and later E)
    tickets. And there were a couple of freebie
    attractions over the years ~ so if you just
    wanted to enter the park, it was only $.99.

Pregnancy police, Uggggh! Preposterous!

Might be time for decaf.

• :)

There was a dress-code. and there was also No Smoking sections as it wasn't allowed in the park at all. Pregnant women could enter and ride rides inside Disneyland.

• okeydokey

chillax.
    Yay, betrothal!

• ..but you can call me Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    Might be time for decaf.
    Thanks.....that made me actually LOL!!

Let me put this one to bed. Pregnant women were always allowed into Disneyland.

My Aunt was there on July 18, 1955 and she was HUGE and one month away from delivery. In a photo I have somewhere photo lab-stamped "August 1955" (though the photos could have actually been taken in late July) my very pregnant cousin Karen stands proudly on the bow of the Mark Twain. In December of that same year...our neighbor almost delivered in Disneyland!!!

Nor was pregnancy taboo in any way on television or anywhere else! It was how you got pregnant that was taboo (the separate beds on sitcoms and such). But showing a pregnant woman on TV in 1955. Happened all the time.

Heck...Sid Caesar showed pregnant men!

Does anyone really think that Disneyland...built around the very concept of "family"...would deny a pregnant woman entry???!!! Hello?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast