Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trip to Disneyland in just under two weeks. NEED HELP!

First off I would like to say hello, as this is my first post on this site. With that said, my girlfriend and I are set to go on a trip to Disneyland starting July 14 and ending somewhere in the beginning of August (hopefully). This is our first vacation by ourselves and I want to make it as enjoyable as possiblefor her (she has had some, sad to say, unhappy experiences at the happiest place on earth). We are on a moderate budget and have purchased our first ever Annual Passports. With all that said, are there any tips anyone can give me to make this trip just a little bit more magical for my girlfriend and I? Good places to eat, fun little shops, park secrets, anything that can help me make this trip the best it can be. Thank you all ahead of time, I can't wait to read your tips!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Trip to Disneyland in just under two weeks. NEED HELP!

First off Welcome to MiceChat!

Sounds like you will have plenty of time to take in the park, so I suggest pacing yourself. Its going to be HOT during the day time, I'd take a couple of hours in the middle of the day to go back to your motel, nap, swim in the pool and just relax before heading back to the park.

Ok guys... I know there are lots of you that go to the park more than I get a chance to... what else can you come up with for BunnyandBoo?

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Thanks, Ollie

I recommend making dining reservations in advance, especially if you're interested in having a special night at one of the finer restaurants. (In DL, The Blue Bayou, in the DL Hotel, Steakhouse 55, in The Grand Californian, The Napa Rose) These restaurants are a bit pricey, especially Napa Rose, but if you're looking for something especially impressive, they're well worth it. The Disney Dining number is (714) 781-3463.

As far as park secrets and other tips, what did you have in mind?

• Resident Duck

Enjoy yourself! Since it looks like you'll be there for a while, make sure to explore and take your time. Don't rush yourself to go on all the rides; take the time to really take in the sites, the parades, the shops. There's a shop down Main Street, kind of at a turn-in spot, (I can't for the life of me remember the name! Any help here, guys?) that shows some beautiful artwork from some Disney movies, it's always fun to check those out. My best (and simple!) advice: explore. And, of course, have fun.

Disney has ruined my love life

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

When its really hot in the middle of the day take a break in the Main St. Cinema and watch Steamboat Willie and the other cartoons...its so nice and cool in there
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Minion

If you are looking for a more moderately priced sit down restaurant you might want to try Cafe Orleans in DL. Don't forget to use your AP discount. (I'm notorious for forgetting it.)

Also, don't miss the fireworks! Watch from the hub.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

As far as shopping goes, I don't know if your girlfriend is especially enamored with Disney, but there is Disneyana on Main Street and the Disney Gallery, which both have nice artwork to take in if nothing else.

If she likes pretty and delicate little things, than I suggest spending a decent amount of time in New Orleans Square, particularly two shops: Jewel de Orleans and Cristal d'Orleans. The first has vintage jewelry...real vintage jewelry, and then some styled in that fashion. I myself had assumed, before asking, that they would overprice their jewelry, as it's in Disneyland...but that's not the case The second is a store selling glass and crystal items, as does Crystal Arts on Main Street, but they have different items between the two stores. There is also the parasol cart, which is specially-made for the buyer (they write your name on it, and you can also select different characters and artwork on it, or just get the regular flowers and your name), and also fairly reasonable in pricing. She might also appreciate it due to the sun exposure

You'll probably want something a little extra-special to commemorate the trip. There is a little store on Main Street called Silhouette Studio, where, of course, they make silhouettes of yourself. They can put several people together in the same finished piece of artwork, including a Disney character, at your request. One person or character is $7, and they make two copies for you. A frame costs $10. These artists are VERY good...incredibly accurate, and also very nice Of anything you can buy from the park, I'd say that this is the most special option.

Also, when you two feel like taking a break inside Disneyland, especially in the afternoon, I suggest heading over to Critter Country. There is a restaurant there called Hungry Bear...instead of taking the entrance there, go down the stairs that are off to the right hand side. There are restrooms down there, and also additional seating for dining (but anyone can sit there). Around this time, the ducks come out to play (or eat). I find it quite enjoyable to watch them for a little bit while relaxing for a little while. They're quite cute.

Have a wonderful trip, and keep yourself hydrated and bring strong sunscreen!

Thank you all for your comments. As far as secrets and tips, i was just looking for little things (like the free coffee all day trick or little hidden things in the park to look for) to make the trip more special (not to mention more fun!). Does anyone know the prices for The Napa Rose or what a menu might look like? I've been trying to look into eating there. Also, does anyone know where they serve vegetarian friendly food? My girlfriend is a vegetarian. And what is the hub??

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyandBoo View Post
    Thank you all for your comments. As far as secrets and tips, i was just looking for little things (like the free coffee all day trick or little hidden things in the park to look for) to make the trip more special (not to mention more fun!). Does anyone know the prices for The Napa Rose or what a menu might look like? I've been trying to look into eating there. Also, does anyone know where they serve vegetarian friendly food? My girlfriend is a vegetarian. And what is the hub??
    Free coffee? I don't know. But if you buy coffee at the Market House on Main Street I think they'll do refills if you keep the receipt.

Napa Rose? Its pricey, you're definently looking at over $100 for two people especially if you're having wine too. Don't know about the vegetarian dishes.

Hub? It is the area in front of the castle where the Partners statue is.

I hope you have a great trip

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

You are spending about 2 weeks at the DLR? I highly suggest for a very romantic evening to go to Las Brisas in Laguna Beach for dinner. The prices are the same if not even a bit less than the extremely pricy Napa Rose, and you get a stunningly beautiful view of the ocean on top of that. If she likes to shop I suggest Fashion Island in Newport Beach. South Coast Plaza is nice too but it is presently undergoing some re-modeling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    You are spending about 2 weeks at the DLR? I highly suggest for a very romantic evening to go to Las Brisas in Laguna Beach for dinner. The prices are the same if not even a bit less than the extremely pricy Napa Rose, and you get a stunningly beautiful view of the ocean on top of that. If she likes to shop I suggest Fashion Island in Newport Beach. South Coast Plaza is nice too but it is presently undergoing some re-modeling.
    Good idea, I've always wanted to try Las Brisas. I hear they have a good Sunday Brunch.

Yes, Fashion Island is nice and it's outside. The remodel at South Coast Plaza (my home away from home) isn't bad now that they completed the Bloomingdales wing.

Thank you for those out-of-the-resort tips! Ill most definately be checking those out.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

The Napa Rose menu changes by the season...if you want to get an idea of pricing and what they would offer, I would suggest checking out this link: http://www.allearsnet.com/dlr/din/menu/men_napa.htm

That website has everything as far as menus for the resort go.

The Vineyard Room is also nice.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyandBoo View Post
    Thank you for those out-of-the-resort tips! Ill most definately be checking those out.
    Yes. 2 weeks in the DLR is an insanely long time and trust me you will want to get away from the resort for a little while. You will be at the resort so long many of the tips we give you regarding the resort itself you will likely discover on your own anyway.

Take a day or part of the day and just relax at the beach. I prefer Corona del Mar. While it can get crowded parking is relatively easy and free if you park at the top of the bluff and walk down the paths alongside the cliff.

In any case pace yourself if you have that long of a time. This could be both a very relaxing and enjoyable vacation if you allow yourself to slow down a bit.

Yea we're not going to be solely at the park the entire time, so thanks again for the out of resort tips. if anyone has any more that would be sweeeeeeeet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast