Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disneyland Trip for the Bitter

Long story short:
    Love Disney parks! Been to WDW and DLP, and was engaged for a year. My fiancee asked me to go to Disneyland, as he has been there and loves it too.
    I pay for EVERYTHING for this amazingly romantic trip.
    Two weeks ago, we break up BAD.
    A relationship that I thought was honest, true, amazing, etc. ended as one of the most horrible experiences of my life.
    I had to invite a friend to come with me, as I didn't want to lose all my money.

Any sugestions as to how to make my trip less bitter?
    Maybe something so intense that can distract me a bit?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: Disneyland Trip for the Bitter

Treat yourself to Napa Rose (but be prepared, it's expensive) or Blue Bayou, and get yourself a personalized parasol (New Orleans Square) and a silhouette (Main Street).

I'm sorry that happened to you

Some women, after a bad breakup, will enjoy going out with their friends and pretend to have a date together...and it makes them feel a lot better. Perhaps going about your trip in this way will help.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Treat yourself to Napa Rose (but be prepared, it's expensive), and get yourself a personalized parasol (New Orleans Square) and a silhouette (Main Street).

I'm sorry that happened to you
    I usually see eye to eye with you on stuff but this one, I do have to disagree with. The Napa rose is extremely romantic in many ways and if the op just broke up that may not be the best choice if she is trying to forget this.

Just go and enjoy Disneyland for what it is. Simply read the entrance plaque above the tunnel. Trust me this really helps. Once you step onto Main Street the real world literally goes away.

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Once you step onto Main Street the real world literally goes away.
    Quote of the year.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• =)

I'm so sorry this happened. You must be devastated, and that's gonna make things tough no matter what. But from your original post, it sounds like you've never been to Disneyland before, and if that's the case, you certainly do have a lot to look forward to.

My advice to you would be to go somewhat heavy on the more thrill-oriented rides. Now, I love slow dark rides, but listen to my reasoning. When you're gliding through ten minutes of show scenes, there's a lot of time for your thoughts to get out of hand and go in directions you don't want them to. But when you're bobsledding your way down the Matterhorn for two minutes, there's no way you're going to think about your ex or the breakup--and you'll get off the ride with an endorphin rush that'll make you feel instinctively happy for a while. So if you've got a strong enough stomach and no back or neck (or pregnancy) problems, go for the faster rides. I can tell you from personal experience that a ride like Indy can break you out of hours of in-park unhappiness.

A few must-rides:

* Indiana Jones Adventure
    * Space Mountain
    * Matterhorn Bobsleds
    * Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    * Star Tours

And if you aren't feeling like a slower ride will let your thoughts spiral downwards, you must enjoy the following:

* Pirates of the Caribbean
    * the Haunted Mansion
    * Splash Mountain

Lots of other great rides, too. Keep in mind we Californians still have access to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, so if you miss the WDW version, you could try ours. Sorry it only has one track.

Good luck, and very best wishes with all of this mess.

• Minion

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I went to Disneyland with friends after I had a sad experience with a guy, and I didn't have to even try not to think about him. Automatically all thoughts of the outside world were erased. And if you can afford it, pamper yourself with souvenirs and good food.
    The daydream princess

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by blaxx View Post
    Long story short:
    Love Disney parks! Been to WDW and DLP, and was engaged for a year. My fiancee asked me to go to Disneyland, as he has been there and loves it too.
    I pay for EVERYTHING for this amazingly romantic trip.
    Two weeks ago, we break up BAD.
    A relationship that I thought was honest, true, amazing, etc. ended as one of the most horrible experiences of my life.
    I had to invite a friend to come with me, as I didn't want to lose all my money.

Any sugestions as to how to make my trip less bitter?
    Maybe something so intense that can distract me a bit?
    Wow so sorry

Go to the Cove Bar in DCA treat yourself to a martini (or two, or three) and forget about the loser.

I hope you have a great trip despite what happened.

Talking Re: Disneyland Trip for the Bitter

Wow, thanks so much for your words...I'll certainly try the wilder rides.
    Never been to Disneyland, no, just with him to DLP, but he HATED Disney parks and I love them.
    I'll only have sad memories of watching the Christmas Parade sipping hot chocolate with him (but no cold weather anymore

I'm certainly devastated. I did book the balcony for Fantasmic for this Sunday night, so I'll eat my pains away, lol.

I hope one day I find another good loving man who likes Disney parks as much as I do.

• Evaporate, tall person!

I live in the Inland Empire of Southern California..
    Blog Entries

Wow.. I am sorta in the same boat.. my fiance and I broke up about a month ago.. he was the Disney-fanatic and totally made me one in the process of our relationship..

Last Saturday was the first time I had been to DL since the break up.. and it was hard.. especially at DCA in the Animation building with all the "once upon a time" and "they lived happily ever after" murals on the entrance and exit.. we took pictures there in hopes of using them for a photo montage..

Anyway.. just go to Disneyland to experience DISNEYLAND.. try not to associate anything with your ex-significant other.. just go and enjoy the park for what it is.. it'll be hard.. but sometimes a lil disney magic is what it takes to start the process of "moving on.."

I hope it helps.. cuz it sure helped me!

DISNEYLAND: It even makes science geeks look cool!!

• Happiest Girl On Earth

Take advantage of the entertainment! Watching parades and shows; don't pass by something that you want to do and are too embarrassed to - it's your vacation! If you want to take a picture with a character or go on the Winnie the Pooh ride or see the Princess Fantasy Faire (which I did once, even though I'm far too old but it was out of curiosity), DO IT! Don't let yourself wish you had done something, besides what was out of your control (closed attractions and such); the best way to get the most out of your vacation is do anything and everything.

I hope you have a blast; Disneyland always manages to cheer me right up!

There I was somewhere West of Tomorrowland
    Flying through the stars just like
    Peter Pan
    I said...Dang this looks too good to be true...

It's a nice day when you wake up in
    Disneyland...
    -Five For Fighting, "Disneyland"

• Life is Great!

If he wasn't a Disneyfan then it wasnt meant to be!
    But seriously, enjoy yourself, emerse yourself and just have fun!!

And if you will be there over a Sunday, be sure to stop by the hub at noon as there are always welcoming Micechatters!!
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've been through a bad breakup so I can relate.

My advice? Have fun and try not to think about the loser. A few drinks never hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXandBELLESmom View Post
    If he wasn't a Disneyfan then it wasnt meant to be!
    Totally!

Next time I date, LOVING Disney parks needs to be a
    must!

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by blaxx View Post
    he HATED Disney parks and I love them.
    Then he wasn't worth having anyway!!! Good thing you got rid of the loser before you got married!

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

You have had great advice so far but I am going to add this:

Just be a kid!! Allow yourself to enjoy every moment with all the giddiness you can muster! Take pictures with characters and buy yourself a tiara! All princesses are princesses on the inside first! Even before the waking kiss, the dance or being whisked away on a white horse! So celebrate your beauty and a new beginning! Treat yourself and your friend to the time of your lives with NO ties!

My only practical idea...Go to a character meal and eat dessert first!

Please post a trip report for us! I'm sure you will have a great time!
    "To ALL who come to this happy place, Welcome" Walt Disney

All means ALL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast