Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567142954 ... LastLast

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Re: Jungle Cruise Antics (Merged)

I had a great skip the other day...he was original and funny, had the timing and jokes down to a tee, I'm sure he was justifiably terminated.

Sadly the Jungle is in my opinion a shell of it's former self, although TechSkip and a couple others from this thread was there more recently then I was. The old Jungle crew would have (and did) made management cry at the thought of confornting us. We had managers with tough reputations brought in specifically to break us, and they always ended up tolerating us at worst. There is also huge turnover everywhere in the park. As discussed in another thread management burned out good CM's due to a variety of reasons, and when the old school skips left en masse, there was no around to teach them the old ways. Oh well maybe now they can get those automated speils they've been wanting.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    I had a great skip the other day...he was original and funny, had the timing and jokes down to a tee, I'm sure he was justifiably terminated.

Sadly the Jungle is in my opinion a shell of it's former self, although TechSkip and a couple others from this thread was there more recently then I was. The old Jungle crew would have (and did) made management cry at the thought of confornting us. We had managers with tough reputations brought in specifically to break us, and they always ended up tolerating us at worst. There is also huge turnover everywhere in the park. As discussed in another thread management burned out good CM's due to a variety of reasons, and when the old school skips left en masse, there was no around to teach them the old ways. Oh well maybe now they can get those automated speils they've been wanting.
    God those were the days! I wonder who else is a former skipper on these boards.

Walt's love of Trains!

• phbbbbbt

Oh my gosh, you guys are so funny... My sister and I went every year while we were in college, we'd both come home for Christmas, and we'd hit the park together. It was probably '94/'95 ish (I had my Camaro), and we rode JC. We snickered and snorted and laughed the entire trip, because our Skip was so freaking funny! Thank you for doing what you did!!!
    xo, Deanna

• "I Break Things"

The greatest feeling for me was allowing other people to enjoy the J.C. Now... to Pizza Boy

Pizza Boy got his nickname because of an incident at a party... fell asleep on a pizza box and the rest is history. On one of his last days he planned a beautiful prank. Pizza was Asian (can't remember exactly), little guy, and decided to shock a couple skips who went through the native village scene. When a boat pulled up and started talking about the natives he decided to walk out of one of the huts, do some stretching yawn thing, and then cover himself because all he had on was heart shaped boxers... the Skip in the boat completely lost it and just throttled forward!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• "I Break Things"

Management wasn't exactly supportive of any of us teaching the old ways, they enacted a "glass ceiling" to prevent a lot of us from picking up trainer or lead. Then they became infuriated when we wouldn't step in and help those individuals that they promoted above us. Politics was the norm, and JC isn't political. All we have ever asked for was to be left alone! When you make political appointments, don't admit mistakes, and then ask for our help.... not gonna happen. At the same time presenteeism kicked in, some great Skips had a lot of points racked up, and everyone started saying 'Screw this" and more and more left until all you have is 1 older Skip per 10 or so newbies! Sad really.

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Politics was the norm, and JC isn't political. All we have ever asked for was to be left alone! When you make political appointments, don't admit mistakes, and then ask for our help.... not gonna happen.

They were always dumbfounded and angry when we wouldn't step in and help those who had no business being leads, people who were promoted because they didn't make waves, or ask questions. Jungle Justice can be an ugly thing.

As to the Jungle not being political, well...

"ok folks, we're outta here...that's right faster than the french army"

"If you look on the right hand side, you'll see an African bull elephant. You know, the elephant is the symbol of the republican party. On the right hand side, you'll see the other symbol of the republican party...a balding middle aged white guy threatened by change."
    -Dr. Skipper

"That guy on the bottom, is named Ahontas, if that Rhino gets his way you could call him poke-ahontas, but then he'd have to move to England and change his name to Rebecca."

"Look at those lions in that cave...wow I haven't seen a feeding frenzy like that since the 2000 elections"
    -Trojanskippa
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

They were always dumbfounded and angry when we wouldn't step in and help those who had no business being leads, people who were promoted because they didn't make waves, or ask questions. Jungle Justice can be an ugly thing.

As to the Jungle not being political, well...

"ok folks, we're outta here...that's right faster than the french army"

"If you look on the right hand side, you'll see an African bull elephant. You know, the elephant is the symbol of the republican party. On the right hand side, you'll see the other symbol of the republican party...a balding middle aged white guy threatened by change."
    -Dr. Skipper

"That guy on the bottom, is named Ahontas, if that Rhino gets his way you could call him poke-ahontas, but then he'd have to move to England and change his name to Rebecca."

"Look at those lions in that cave...wow I haven't seen a feeding frenzy like that since the 2000 elections"
    -Trojanskippa

:Cough: above us you can see Walt Disney's first concept of the Monorail, and as you can see it was a complete failure, just like Disney's California Adventure :cough:

Walt's love of Trains!

• "I Break Things"

"And we're off... faster then 2 LA Football teams."

Trapped Safari "Wow I haven't seen a fight that one-sided since UCLA beat USC" (with USC football team onboard the boat )

Two Elephants (Skipper points left) "This is an African Elephant" (Skipper points right) "That's a lot of Bull, ships have trouble making it through these parts, they have to squeeze past!" (IF Skipper is quick with word play they can pull it off)

Skull Canoe "Beef... it's whats for dinner!"

"This cruise was brought to you by the letters E and R, the number 1 and the phrase "Not going to happen""

Sometimes I just sit back and think "how did I ever make it all the way to actually quitting?" Jungle was usually used as a political piece. Managers would come in thinking "I can change this place AND look good for a promotion" and left thinking "I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM..." There were actually some really good managers who looked at Jungle and had the policy of "no complaints, minimal oversight" and we made them SHINE! In those rare cases Jungle Justice was in full force and you feared any complaints or non 100% mystery guest scores. Sadly if a manager did well they moved on quickly, if not then we were stuck with them for a while! Internally there was also a lot of politics and the "who you know" game. That is what caused the friction mainly because Managers would promote who they liked, not necessarily who had the experience or knew what they were doing. And then management didn't just expect us to fall in line, they openly expected us to babysit the individual and teach them to do their job.
    Last edited by techskip; 08-09-2007 at 04:23 PM.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland RR Guy View Post
    :Cough: above us you can see Walt Disney's first concept of the Monorail, and as you can see it was a complete failure, just like Disney's California Adventure :cough:
    (Skipper points at 1st archway) "Ancient History folks, Walt Disney's 1st attempt at the Monorail system... kinda crumbled" (Skipper points at 2nd archway) "Wow that's Walt's 2nd attempt at the Monorail system, fell through. For those of you staying at the hotel tonight 3rd time's the charm eh!"

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    (Skipper points at 1st archway) "Ancient History folks, Walt Disney's 1st attempt at the Monorail system... kinda crumbled" (Skipper points at 2nd archway) "Wow that's Walt's 2nd attempt at the Monorail system, fell through. For those of you staying at the hotel tonight 3rd time's the charm eh!"
    Skipper

While in the hippo pool after gun shots

Scream "you shot me!"

Walt's love of Trains!

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

As a guide who rides JC as part of the tour, I just want to say that plaids heart skips (and keep track of who the best ones are, lol)
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Minion

And we're off like a prom dress!

We old skippers love to have fun, just like the good old days. If you had my name is .................. and if didnt my name is Mathew is this is Star Tours!

Walt's love of Trains!

• "I Break Things"

When S. Falls was off "The backside of...... Looks like Uncle Walt forgot to pay the water bill!"

• Boswain on the Explorer

We're off like a herd of wild chia pets.

And now we are entering the African Belt (insert circle of life song sung badly.)
    Trojaskippa ?

Guess what's in the man pouch (Porkchop??????)

A blue chested ape riding a bull elephant (ironchef spam.)
    The boombox in the gorilla's arms playing jungle love.
    The pirranna's are attacking, the pirranna's are,oh look a pretty snake as you thrown the boat in reverse.
    It's time for Din Din.

Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567142954 ... LastLast