Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Working at Disneyland?

I've lurked about here but never posted. I figured that I should get this question out of my system though and this seems like a good place to try asking.

Would I, Should I, Could I work at Disneyland?

For a couple years now I've kept coming back to the thought that it would be a really cool experience to work at the park for a summer, Casual/Temp or however they call it now. So here are my issues.

I live in Michigan. Sigh. How does - or DOES one get hired if one doesn't live in socal? I'm a junior in college this next year - is the Disney College Program an option for me if I just want to work one summer at the park? I've read about it but am not sure exactly what it entails.

Secondly - my religion wouldn't allow me to work from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, whenever those fall in summer in CA. Would that be a huge problem?

Thirdly - I really, really would want to work Attractions. I don't care where. I don't care which. How unrealistic is that? Otherwise, is there another Onstage job that would actually be mildly enjoyable/involve interaction of any kind with guests?

Please forgive my newbie questions. I have done research on my own, but it's always more helpful to get information from real people. I appreciate anything you can tell me!
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Beat the bruins!

Re: Working at Disneyland?

I worked there for three and a half years. Working there in some respects kills the 'magic.' Not completely...but you look at the park in a much different way. Instead of a destination, it's a job. That having been said, it was probably the funnest (i know that's not a word) job I've ever had. As for which dept. you would work in, I have no idea how difficult it is to get into a dept. of your choosing. They basically chose for me. This was more than a decade ago though; not sure how things have changed.
    The Kid

• Can Only Wish For More!

About the Disney College thing, I don't know.

The weekends are iffy. I guess you could work mornings on Friday and evenings of Saturday. I know they require us to be fully available Sat & Sun.

Finally, as for departments, it usually depends on where they need you.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

Yeah, I can work up until sunset on Friday and after sunset Saturday.

At least there's hope it wouldn't be a terrible experience. Thanks!
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

Usually there's a requirement to be availible from 6pm Friday, and all of Saturday and Sunday.
    If you bring it to them for religious purposes, they can find an alternative (they kinda have to by law).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

It was pretty easy for me to get into attractions in New Orleans' Square. Once the Interviewer told me "Once you told me you're grandfather helped build the park, you're father was head of the park's Art Dept. in the 60's, Your first job was here and all the troubles you went through trying to get your status changed to rehirable, You weren't walking away from here without a job." I basically had my pick on where I wanted to go. She couldn't promise me the ride I wanted(But she was going to push for it) but she could promise me what land I wanted to be in. I think the same goes true with anyone. If you wanted to be in Attractions in Tomorrowland, You would be placed there providing they had openings in attractions in that land.
    As for the Friday Saturday thing, They basically want their Casual/Temps to have FULL AVAILABILITY on those days. But you never know unless you try.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

Come to think of it, you'll probably be placed in DCA to facilitate your limited availability on Weekends.

• missing the DisneyGallery

I would suggest that you dont work attractions. I was a CM at WDW on college program and worked at the Sci Fi Dine in Theater Restaurant in 1996 (hence my screen name), and I found it to be great to not have to be around the attractions all the time, and still work at the park. On days aff you could go and experince attractions while not feeling like you were at work. I know DL is different but I think it would acrry the same feelinsg as I did working at WDW.

When attractions were original

• Ultimate Margarita Time!

I think you should just go for it, if you dont live your dreams now, you might have regrets in the future...

• Comin' at ya!

I've always wanted to work at DL...But it sounds like you can't choose the attraction you work at, just the area.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseRemainSeated View Post
    How does - or DOES one get hired if one doesn't live in socal?
    No one has adressed this question, and its something I've been wondering about for awhile too. Does anyone know?

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Usually there's a requirement to be availible from 6pm Friday, and all of Saturday and Sunday.
    If you bring it to them for religious purposes, they can find an alternative (they kinda have to by law).
    Depends, gray area... if that is their stated requirement then they can simply not hire her. Sad but true. I think that more then anything else would be the limiting factor. I know there was talk of having a weeks only and weekends only CM positions but not sure if that is the case.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by FantasmicPrincess View Post
    No one has adressed this question, and its something I've been wondering about for awhile too. Does anyone know?
    No. You can't. But you can apply and they will interview you. (At least they used to.) Just tell them that you plan to move into the area.

What may happen is they will tell you to come back again later. Or they may continue the interview, then send you a nice letter saying what a great person you are and to let them know when you move to the area. If you get that letter, pack your bags! Given Disneyland's employment problem, you'll likely secure a job in a few days of arriving. Just let them know where you're there.

To answer your other question, Son of Abraham, Chosen of God (did I assume correctly?), not being able to work Friday evening/Saturday day is a significant handicap. Yes, they will work with religious restrictions. But the law is that they only have to go so far. That one might tip the scales. You can always ask. In fact, I would suggest calling up Casting and asking before doing anything else.

Disneyland is a large place. I can't believe they don't have anyone else with a Sabbath restriction.

Of course, Sabbath was made for Man, not Man for the Sabbath...

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - ooooooooonnnnnnnnnn, Oops Cat on the keyboard

--== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Depends, gray area... if that is their stated requirement then they can simply not hire her. Sad but true. I think that more then anything else would be the limiting factor. I know there was talk of having a weeks only and weekends only CM positions but not sure if that is the case.
    There is now a CR-SS (Saturday and Sunday only) and a couple of related variations but the slots are limited.

I've seen a lot of full-availability CR's wind up getting scheduled Saturdays off, just since there are so many weekend CR's to easily fill up staffing those days, but shortages during the week when a lot of folks aren't available. Your options might be really limited but it's worth a shot, especially if 4pm is late enough a starting time on Saturday.

Just make sure it's clear from the very beginning.

Regardless, Disney HR is what you should be asking for a real answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast