Thread: Power Outage

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Power Outage

I read in another thread some time ago that Disneyland was evacuated in 1982 becasue of a power outage.

Has this happened more that once?

If it happens today what would Disney do?

Do they have a backup power system like generators or would they just evacuate again?
    Foolish Mortal

Re: Power Outage

Doesn't the Matterhorn disguise a nuclear cooling tower (hence the steam/"fog" effect?) Ha!

But seriously, I think I read something about the Park having their own power lines somehow -- that is, even if all of Anaheim was dark, Disneyland got its electricity from somewhere else....not sure

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    But seriously, I think I read something about the Park having their own power lines somehow -- that is, even if all of Anaheim was dark, Disneyland got its electricity from somewhere else....not sure
    They have wheels backstage that Cast Members run in to spin turbines

• Rock Star Minion

Walt Disney's spinning in his grave provides most of the electricity, though during Cast Member Matt's tenure, DL did need a backup source (since Walt wasn't spinning nearly as fast as when Pressler/Harriss were in charge).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Collision speed....FULL!

The monorail has a diesel powered tractor that can tow a stalled monorail back to the station. It has been used many times.

If there was a power outage, I would not want to be on POTC. First of all, its really dark, and second, the pumps would stop working and gates at the drops would be open, allowing all the water to flood down into the show building. That way, the boats would float out of the troughs and become a real boat in the sets!

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    The monorail has a diesel powered tractor that can tow a stalled monorail back to the station. It has been used many times.

If there was a power outage, I would not want to be on POTC. First of all, its really dark, and second, the pumps would stop working and gates at the drops would be open, allowing all the water to flood down into the show building. That way, the boats would float out of the troughs and become a real boat in the sets!
    And that would be bad how?
    Foolish Mortal

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post

I coulda sworne i heard they have flood gates to lower the amount of water that will rush down if that happens

• Animatronic

Disneyland has a generator, it's located in front of the Indiana Jones ride.

• The Monkey's Uncle

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Most likely many many diesel generator(s). But I doubt they have an architecture that could maintain the park operating.

Assumptions:
    Primary ones to control COMPUTERS and TELECOM in the event of a disaster. Most larger show buildings probably have a dedicated generator and building interiors are likely to have already been ugraded over they years with BATTERY backup emergency EXIT lighting at a minimum.

Doubt if any engineer would have designed POTC soley dependant on gates and pumps to prevent lower level to flood.

With YEAR 2000 prep that took place in the years before 2000....The park undoubtedy has evac and backup plans in the event of a catastrophe, power outage, flood, locust swarm, micechat convention and lastly the crush of fans coming into fleeing the park for the Light Magic 2 premiere.

• "I Break Things"

There are backups to run minimum emergency power (tracking and "exit" lights) to major attractions. My favorite "Brown Out" memory was working Jungle when the power went out. Tiki was down, Jungle lost it's radios so we were down, Indy was down... so Adventureland was a walk-through. People were pissed but it wasn't Disney's fault per say... it was hot everyone in OC had the air on and the grid couldn't take it.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    LARF!

Okay then.. what happens when Indy is 101, that generator is off and THEN there's a park wide outage?

Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Koubu Pilot

Some of you may remember this wierd day in the '80s when severe thunderstorms were moving across Southern California. Some say it was a tornado in the Fullerton area, I'm not sure now if it was a tornado or not, but power was knocked out in Disneyland. I remember seeing the news report and it was the Matterhorn, PeopleMover, and Skyway that were shut down. Monorail might have been shut down, too. All those attractions had to be evacuated. The fire department had to use their ladder trucks to get people out of their buckets.

• Driver Your Turn Is Clear

Costa Mesa, CA - 10.33 Miles South of DLR

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    There are backups to run minimum emergency power (tracking and "exit" lights) to major attractions. My favorite "Brown Out" memory was working Jungle when the power went out. Tiki was down, Jungle lost it's radios so we were down, Indy was down... so Adventureland was a walk-through. People were pissed but it wasn't Disney's fault per say... it was hot everyone in OC had the air on and the grid couldn't take it.
    Darn those OC living, A/C Hogging, AP buying... I'm running out of things to call them...

It was probably Kobe's Fault!

• Herbie53

i was in disneyland last october and there was a power outtage on main street. the music stopped, lots of lights went out except the glowing mickey pumpkin stayed on.

it wasn't too dark to see where you were walking but you had to be careful. for some reason i seem to think that inside the buildings had lights on.

i thought it was pretty cool just to see main street in a different way.

sometimes things like that are more fun- like when a ride stops and you have to get walked out. oooh, i love that, especially when i have my camera and pose by a character and have someone take a pic
    Favorite sites of the moment:
    Mice Age
    Mouse Clubhouse
    TV Shows on DVD