Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    25

    Haunted Mansion Questions

    Helllo,

    I got to go to Disneyland last month and had such a great time. The new Haunted Mansion additions are subtle, but very cool. Question: Is the lightning-strike version of the changing portraits a brand new concept? Or is it the restoration of an old idea?

    Someone told me that WDI was trying to return those portraits to their original state, as if the Mansion opened that way. I am too young to know.

    Also, does the HM at WDW have the same changing portraits? I remember most of the walkthrough is eliminated or transfered to the ride. But I don't think the changing portraits are there at all. What a cool effect at DL.

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,240
    I believe a few of the portraits are different.

    As for the lightning, I don't know.

  3. #3

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    bringing it back
    Posts
    4,177
    I believe the Master Gracey portrait is new at the time of the refurb, it was in WDW I believe. The lightning effect I think is them bringing back an old idea, but I'm not positive, there will be many who can answer definite though

    ErikAnders.smugmug.com

    Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ


    1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

  4. #4

    • Luckiest Man Alive!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Stanton, CA.
    Posts
    177
    The 'Lightning' changing portraits are how it originally was.

    Master Gracey is new to D/L (he came from Florida)

    I know, I'm old, I was there....

  5. #5

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    17,918
    Quote Originally Posted by RZS
    Helllo,

    I got to go to Disneyland last month and had such a great time. The new Haunted Mansion additions are subtle, but very cool. Question: Is the lightning-strike version of the changing portraits a brand new concept? Or is it the restoration of an old idea?

    Someone told me that WDI was trying to return those portraits to their original state, as if the Mansion opened that way. I am too young to know.

    Also, does the HM at WDW have the same changing portraits? I remember most of the walkthrough is eliminated or transfered to the ride. But I don't think the changing portraits are there at all. What a cool effect at DL.

    Thanks.
    1) The lightning strike concept was an idea that was in the Mansion before. However, they decided to change it because the effect was not as convincing (with the old technology) as slowly morphing was. I am not sure of the exact date when they changed from lightning to slowly morphing.

    2) The portraits that were in DL before the change were Cat Woman, Medusa, the Knight on the horse, the ship, and April December (the young girl to the old hag). From my knowledge those were the original designs. After the recent refurb. The cat woman (who was a panther) now turns into a tiger, like in the Mansion movie, and Master Gracey (From WDW) replaced April December. The reason given was that the lightning flash did not work well w/ April December, however, I can not confirm that.

    3) There are no morphing portraits at WDW (other than Master Gracey in the foyer). However, there is a hallway (while you are in the doom buggy) that has 11 portraits, whose eyes follow you, called the Sinister 11 Hallway. This is the only added scene in the WDW Mansion except for the Library and the Music Room.

    I hope that this helps!


  6. #6

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138
    I'm going off on a different topic kind of here...

    I heard that part of the reason the old lightning effect was removed was because people with epilepsy would get seizures from the effect.
    i found that if this was the case its strange that they would bring the effect back.

    incidentally, a friend of mine has epilepsy. not a very bad case of it, but she has it and has to cover her eyes and rush through the portrait corridor now. its a shame because I think the new effect is absolutely great and she as well as others with the disorder cant enjoy it. and i'm suprised with the sue-happy nation we live in Disney hasnt put up any new warning signs since the change with the portraits has been put in place.

    anyways... thats the end of my derail. sorry.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  7. #7

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,769
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    I'm going off on a different topic kind of here...

    I heard that part of the reason the old lightning effect was removed was because people with epilepsy would get seizures from the effect.
    i found that if this was the case its strange that they would bring the effect back.

    incidentally, a friend of mine has epilepsy. not a very bad case of it, but she has it and has to cover her eyes and rush through the portrait corridor now. its a shame because I think the new effect is absolutely great and she as well as others with the disorder cant enjoy it. and i'm suprised with the sue-happy nation we live in Disney hasnt put up any new warning signs since the change with the portraits has been put in place.

    anyways... thats the end of my derail. sorry.
    Why would you go on that ride in the first place if you cant take flashes? The whole ride has a ton of strobe effects on it.

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    384
    Personally, I think that is not true. Disney woudn't risk it. If they closed down the castle walktrough because of the disabled people in wheelchairs, they coun't have done this. Plus, I don't think the lightning flashes are bright enough to trigger an epileptic attack. And I also have a friend with epilepsy.

  9. #9

    • Social Imagineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    862
    The odd thing about the lightning strike effect being old is that the portraits were obviously designed to morph right from the begining. Most particularly, April-May and Medusa clearly have intermediate steps that would be lost with the on-off effect (one of the reasons why, I believe, April-May was sent to DisneyWorld).

    You can see Marc Davis demonstrating the intermediate effects of the Medusa Portrait on the Disneyland 10th Anniversary TV show (which I happened to watch recently). So maybe morphing was the original concept, later it switched to lightning-activated, then back to morphing, and now back to lightning.

    Whew.

  10. #10

    • Be-Bop Bear
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    Posts
    737
    I miss Boobylicious April and Saggydacious December.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

    Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    222
    My cousin has epilepsy, in fact he has one of the most severe pediatric cases ever seen. When he was younger he had over 200 siezures a day but that number has been drastically reduced thanks to the Ketogenic Diet. However I don't think the FX in the mansion are enough to triger siezures. I mean there is ALWAYS a possibility, but it's very unlikely in this situation. Nor does Disney need to place a sign on the ride because you ride attractions at your own risk and I remember reading in one of their statements (forget where... maybe on the back of the ticket?) that some attractions use strobes and it may not be posted.

  12. #12

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    17,918
    Quote Originally Posted by rytheguy
    Nor does Disney need to place a sign on the ride because you ride attractions at your own risk and I remember reading in one of their statements (forget where... maybe on the back of the ticket?) that some attractions use strobes and it may not be posted.
    This is on the Disneyland website, and on other items as well. From what I remember, it is most prominently noted on advertising for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.


  13. #13

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    Why would you go on that ride in the first place if you cant take flashes? The whole ride has a ton of strobe effects on it.
    I dont know exactly which Haunted Mansion you're riding, but I dont recall there being a ton of strong, consistant strobes on it. I've only noticed a lot of flashing/strobe style effects in the stretching gallery when Master Gracey appears hanging and in the Hallway to Limbo (portrait corridor) with the lightning effects.

    Anyways, as for the others who say that they don't think Disney should put in warnings- I never said I think they should, I'm just suprised they havent considering the lawsuit-happy country we live in.
    My friend has complained of nausea and the beginning symptoms of her disorder in the upgraded Portrait Corridor... So I dont know, maybe they arent strong enough, nor are you commonly in that part of the attraction long enough, but nevertheless it does stir up something in my friend... But I'm assuming its different for everybody.


    Uhh... but anyway... The Haunted Mansion is fantastic as it has always been.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  14. #14

    • Boozer, User, and Loser
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    199
    Disney usually posts the strobe warning in the park map. I've never seen a strobe warning on a sign at an attraction. Maybe I don't pay attention.




  15. #15

    • Rainicorn.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Disney
    Personally, I think that is not true. Disney woudn't risk it. If they closed down the castle walktrough because of the disabled people in wheelchairs, they coun't have done this.
    Off topic, but I also think they closed the castle walkthrough because of the potential of terrorist threat, due to the small space and lack of CMs in the castle.

    Does the HM have any warning postings outside of it? I always thought it did. :confused:
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!


    -- robotarmada.net --


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. updates to the Haunted Mansion..what do you want in our Mansion?
    By pianoman13 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 06:35 PM
  2. Is Haunted Mansion Buggy #55 really HAUNTED??
    By Coheteboy in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 220
    Last Post: 08-28-2007, 09:16 PM
  3. Haunted Mansion vs Haunted Mansion Holiday
    By monotonehell in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 12-07-2006, 08:18 AM
  4. My Haunted Mansion Storyline- would make the Mansion 'more' complete.
    By A Disney Dreamer in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 02:13 PM
  5. Haunted Mansion Holiday 2005 Sountrack questions.
    By Disney Wrassler in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 04:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •