Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Fighter Pilot

Thoughts on Old Fantasyland rides?

Where does everyone stand on the old Fantasyland rides such as Peter Pan, Pinochio, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland and Mr. Toad? The way I see it, is the only reason these rides are there is because those were the only movies around when Walt was alive before 1966 and to me I just think they're still around just because it's like a museum to keep these rides here in memory. But in away as much as I do like them, kinda makes you think if the orginal plan was to maybe base these rides on current featuers, because they are all basic layouts really. And I think Walt would change them all if he could. He even said he regreted making Alice in Wonderland, but he couldn't say have a ride about the Lion King cause well his options were limited. I mean since Jungle Book was his last film he worked on only halfway, you're telling me Walt wouldn't do anything to honor that movie? Of course today I'm pretty fond of these rides but it would be nice to maybe least upgrade all of them to like new tech like Winnie the Pooh. But what are thoughts about these rides?

• Hiding in the shadows

Re: Thoughts on Old Fantasyland rides?

I love the old Fantasyland rides, they are a part of Disneyland that I remember very much as a child and are today some of my kids favorite rides. Peter Pan is by far the most fun flying over everything, but I love me the toad as well. Even Snow White and Penocchio are fun to ride back through the movies although I would love for snow white to have a real ending, but at this point the lack thereof is part of the charm of that ride.

Oh and "new Tech Pooh", I won't go there, I woudl leave the FL dark rides as they are, just some nice upkeep is all they need.
    Last edited by MollyTrolly; 07-06-2007 at 08:45 AM.

A little piece of heaven

I think a large part of it IS nostalgia -- If Walt was around, he might change out those rides for new ones. As it is, however, new rides can be built, but nothing supervised by Walt can ever be made again.

Besides, people do seem to genuinely like them. As far as that goes, if they ARE basic layouts, I don't see much point in tearing them out just to replace them with updated versions of themselves. Nostalgia for the classics has its place, as do new attractions like the ever-mentioned Nemo subs.

As for using newer tech in them, I really don't know how invasive/difficult/practical that would be, so I can't really comment on it, but I wouldn't personally have a problem with it.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Blind to His Own Faults

Fantasyland and the above mentioned rides are certainly one of the busiest areas of the Park (Peter Pan fans can attest to this).
    Additionally, with its 'low-tech' attractions, Fantasyland is a workhorse; because of the sheer volume of rides in such a small space (comparatively speaking), it can absorb the infrequent breakdowns by offering close, easily accessed alternatives.

Interesting question here, to any CMs out there: is Fantasyland less prone to ride failure than other Land's attractions because of their simpler construction?

It seems to me, unless it's a refurb, very few attractions are ever 'down'. This is just a purely speculative observation on my part, however.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

This is probably silly, but what I miss most in FL is in Pinocchio. In PLeasure Island there used to be a scene where they would hit a "ring the bell" type game and it would make a really loud blast with a donkey's "hee-haw" sound afterwards. Now the blast sound is so quiet you don't know what they are doing.

There's my missed memory of Fantasyland.

Good thread.

Chad

• Closed Account

I would keep the ones based on classic Disney films, which for me means everything except Mr. Toad.
    I admit I'm biased because I have never liked that ride, but I don't think that the film it is based on is very familiar to kids, and it's certainly not as iconic as Peter Pan, Snow White, or Pinocchio. I would favor updating it to a more recent Disney movie like the Lion King, because I would call that a new classic. Also, I'm still pulling for a Sleeping Beauty ride, which I would prefer to be a larger space, but you could make it work with the Mr. Toad space if you were efficient. The Jungle Book would be fine by me too.
    I wouldn't advocate updating all Fantasyland's originals, maybe just one or two. Or even better, switch out Mr. Toad, and build a whole new dark ride (if there's any room in Fantasyland, I don't know)

Mr. Toad is my favorite of the Fantasyland rides. I had never seen Wind in the Willows before I went to Disneyland, but I sure wanted to see it afterwards. It's fun for kids to think they're driving the car all over the place. I'd hate to see them get rid of it at Disneyland as they did at WDW. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Pinocchio or Snow White, though.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

REFURB EM! Than add some new dark rides

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

They're classics (I'm not too fond of Snow White, however...but that's a personal thing).

Alice has gotten some upgrades fairly recently for some nicer effects. If the others could get these sort of things, I would be happy.

I wish Sleeping Beauty had a dark ride...imagine a giant Maleficent dragon AA breathing fire at you!

...I never really understood why Pinocchio was added in the 80s. The film opened in 1940, for goodness sake! But, as I wasn't alive to know this...was "When You Wish Upon a Star" playing at Disneyland way back when? It's very iconic for Disney to be sure...I don't know.

A lot of the old classics weren't met with rave reviews when they came to theaters...a lot of that had to do with the war and such.

• Capturing it in a Photo

I don't think they should ever be touched! Come on they are calssics, they are fine and are a great place for the kids. Of course they should be maintained but I don't see any reason to change them drastically or to remove them all together just to replace them. Makes not sense.

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Twas "When You Wish Upon a Star" playing at Disneyland way back when?
    It was playing as far back as I remember.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb View Post
    It was playing as far back as I remember.
    If so, then it would make sense to me that Pinocchio was added...be it rather late in the game.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Perhaps this should be another whole thread but here goes:

I think a lot of FL rides get a pass for the nostalgia factor. Other thread bashed Monsters inc. for not following storyline and looking cheesy. Snow White is really a bad ride, but becuase it's an original it gets a pass.

Thoughts?

Chad

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: Thoughts on Old Fantasyland rides?

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    Where does everyone stand on the old Fantasyland rides such as Peter Pan, Pinochio, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland and Mr. Toad? The way I see it, is the only reason these rides are there is because those were the only movies around when Walt was alive before 1966 and to me I just think they're still around just because it's like a museum to keep these rides here in memory.
    I don't think that this is entirely accurate AwesomeMan33 - that the only reason these rides are in Fantasyland is because Walt Disney only had a handful of animated feature films to choose from... Many fabulous animated classics were completed before Walt's death in 1966, and many did / do not have an attraction to honor them (yet); in fact, he only honored about half of the prospects with attractions at his original park:

"Snow White" - 1937 *
    "Pinocchio" - 1940 (ride not added until the Fantasyland overhaul of 1983)
    "Fantasia" - 1940 **
    "Dumbo" - 1941 * (Casey Jr. Circus Train AND the Flying elephants!)
    "Bambi" - 1942 **
    "Saludos Amigos" - 1942 **
    "The Three Cabelleros" - 1944 **
    "The Adventures of Ichabod Crane and Mr. Toad" - 1949 *
    "Cinderella" - 1950 **
    "Alice in Wonderland" - 1951 *
    "Peter Pan" - 1953 *
    "Sleeping Beauty" - 1959 * (Sleeping Beauty's castle remains, the walk-through exhibit has been closed - very regrettably...)
    "101 Dalmations" - 1961 **
    "The Sword in the Stone" - 1963 **
    "Jungle Book" - 1967 **

* honored with an attraction in Fantasyland, Disneyland
    ** not honored with an attraction in Fantasyland, Disneyland - yet

Yes, many of these attractions are somewhat "museum pieces", and yet - as many have pointed out - they are (a) the Work Horses of Fantasyland, (b) adored classic attractions (especially by parents who enjoyed them as children, and are now getting to enjoy them with their children - and grandchildren), and (c) the lines have certainly not diminished over the years (check out "Peter Pan" any day...)

While I would welcome more attractions (IN Fantasyland!) honoring the many animated features that have been made before / since Walt's passing, I for one would not want to see any of the current Fantasyland attractions demolished / discarded / remodeled to accomodate a new ride (I'm thinking of WDW's loss of "Mr. Toad" ...) especially if the new choice(s) would be along the lines of the "Pooh" debacle...

Fantasyland has room for expansion - into the (aptly named...) Festival of Fools area for one; the more creative the Disney Imagineers become in finding room, the more diverse and imaginative the area will become...

So WDI - what's shaking?

• Fighter Pilot

exactly, Monsters Inc is a great ride, not every new ride needs to be a E-Ticket ride. But rides like Monsters and Pooh are EXACTLY like Pinochio and Mr. Toad but just updated. People are just small minded when it comes to this. It just doesn't make sense

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast