Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocket Rods

• Can Only Wish For More!

Re: Rocket Rods

http://www.o-keating.com/hsr/tilt.htm

This is the link that "I" wish would bring back a ride to the PeopleMover tracks.

The trains themselves tilt, meaning that there is no need for the PPM track to be banked! Disney could use this to bring back the Rods or something on the tracks!

I get so mad when I'm in TL and see that track empty and dying.

Grr!
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Looks a lot faster then people described it previously.. speeding and slowing down are apparent, but the way people described it, it sounded like you came to a crawl for every turn, which doesn't look that way.

Was it LIM powered ? Or just motor driven?

LOL I do miss it...

A higher-quality video can be found at Visionsfantastic.com... whoever uploaded this video "borrowed" it from them.
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Santa Barbara, CA

the video reminds me of what a C ticket that ride was. About as thrilling as driving a Camry in a parking garage. Banking the turns would have made it more fun. I don't get the whole romance of the thing at all.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• 1375 miles away

Thanks for the video. Sad to say that I never knew what the ride was. It looked like it could have been fun. Why did they close it?
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-15

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report November 2010
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056434199
    Our First Trip to WDW December 2009
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...16-2009-a.html
    November 2008 trip report! Updated 1/13/09!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...23-2008-a.html

• Collision speed....FULL!

Rocket Rods!? BOO! I can't see nothin, it's too fast! I'd rather be on a nice scenic tour of TL on a good speed peoplemover.

Quote Originally Posted by mariezp View Post
    Thanks for the video. Sad to say that I never knew what the ride was. It looked like it could have been fun. Why did they close it?
    I think the fact that it broke down every five minutes had something to do with it

Rode it once -- waited in line for 2+ hours (hey, at least the queue was interesting) and then when I got on the ride it rolled forward for two seconds, stopped for five minutes. Rolled forward again. Stopped again. "Please remain seated" announced. Moved again. Stopped. Ride over.

I once waited 3 hours for it. I loved Rocket Rods! However, I was little when it was around, so it was very thrilling for me.
    Everybody’s got a laughing place. Trouble is, most folks won’t take the time to go look for it. And where it is for one, it mightn’t be for another. ~ Splash Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Looks a lot faster then people described it previously.. speeding and slowing down are apparent, but the way people described it, it sounded like you came to a crawl for every turn, which doesn't look that way.
    This video makes Rocket Rods look great and it does not show the actual speed of the RR very well. The problem was that as you would reach speed, you would immediately slow down to go into the turn. You never reached high speed and stayed there. The inertia of speeding up and slowing down just got old after a while...a short while.

I agree that it is a travesty to see the tracks just wasting away. It would be awesome to see something moving up there, helping eat guests and bringing the living energy back to TL.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Since it had no banked curves, the tires would wear out very fast, being ground up into a fine black grit. The particles of rubber were found raining on the diners and their food at Tomorrowland Terrace. That was likely the last straw, or burger.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Sock Puppet

i rode the rocket rods once, but i don't think it was worth it waiting in line for 2 hrs. and only getting to ride them for two minutes. WTF. At least on the people movers you can enjoy the atmosphere, sounds, and sights of DL while just sitting on a moving ride and you can also take a load off your feet.

Yahh 500th post

After just getting back from my first DL trip and after watching plenty of Rocket Rods videos beforehand, I would have GLADLY waited 2 hours to ride this attraction. I love what they did in the circle vision queue and the ride looks like it would have been a ton of fun. Don't get me wrong, I loved Buzz Lightyear and it has quite a few improvements over the Magic Kingdom version, but I would have traded it in a heartbeat for one ride on the Rocket Rods.

• Tourist

Quote Originally Posted by babyfirefly View Post
    Wow, what amazing luck that they taped this video on the one day that the Rocket Rods actually worked!!
    I never got a chance to ride on the Rocket Rods, because they were always broken down on the days we visited DL.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

One more time for all the people that miss the Rocket Rots...

Just get a shopping cart.
    A willing friend.
    and an electric toothbrush.

Hop in the shopping cart, have your friend push you as fast as they can (they'll probably be able to keep up speed for a longer distance than the real ride), and rev the electric toothbrush to get the sound effect of the ride.

The only good part of Rocket Rods was the single rider line - it sure was fun walking up the exit and seeing the dirty looks from the nimrods that would actually wait in line. As for a "great queue" - yeah, Rocket Rods did a great job of standing a lot of people in dark, sometimes stifling hot spaces with old ride vehicles done up in blacklight paint. They don't show the wonderful tunnel of nothing and stairway to the ride platform in that video, do they?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    One more time for all the people that miss the Rocket Rots...

Just get a shopping cart.
    A willing friend.
    and an electric toothbrush.

Hop in the shopping cart, have your friend push you as fast as they can (they'll probably be able to keep up speed for a longer distance than the real ride), and rev the electric toothbrush to get the sound effect of the ride.
    This is so sad because it is true. Make sure your friend pushing you slows down to a near crawl when doing corners because that is what Rocket Rods did.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast