Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rocket Rods

• I love my family!

Re: Rocket Rods

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    It's sad that the fact that it was literally stressing out the track and the surrounding structure was the reason they took it out, and not the, oh nothing, lack of theming, concept, and imagination.
    If they would have spent the money during construction of the ride, it would still be there.

You would think that the whole RR story would have set off alarms in Burbank but, I guess they would have had to care to notice.

I loved this ride. It had much more character, IMO, than the peoplemover. Always made me think of some crazy taxi service in the future. I still saw plenty of scenery as we zipped through TL. And everyone complaining about the line...it was a brand new attraction in the newly redone TL, of course it had a long line. Would these lines remain? I highly doubt it. In all actuality, the line would have gotten down to 30-50 min once another attraction opened up. And I would rather wait the 2 hours inside the nice Rocket Rod queue as opposed to waiting 1 hour in the outdoor switchback Buzz queue.

It's sad that the fact that it was literally stressing out the track and the surrounding structure was the reason they took it out, and not the, oh nothing, lack of theming, concept, and imagination.
    I hope you are not one clamouring for the return on the Peoplemover after attacking the Rocket Rods for it's supposed lack of theming, concept, and imagination. The cars looked better, the attraction actually had character instead of just a tour, and didn't really need extensive theming. Tommorowland was the theming. And even still, they had a few effects for when you are in the Star Tours/Space building such as the mirror effect.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I got to ride Rocket Rods once. New Year's Eve, 2+ hours. I'm glad I waited because I never would have had another chance to go on it. It was an OK ride, but the slowing down/speeding up was like being on the 405 during rush hour.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaCub View Post
    http://www.o-keating.com/hsr/tilt.htm

This is the link that "I" wish would bring back a ride to the PeopleMover tracks.

The trains themselves tilt, meaning that there is no need for the PPM track to be banked! Disney could use this to bring back the Rods or something on the tracks!

I get so mad when I'm in TL and see that track empty and dying.

Grr!
    Great link! That would be awesome if they could make that work up there!
    <o>

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    I hope you are not one clamouring for the return on the Peoplemover after attacking the Rocket Rods for it's supposed lack of theming, concept, and imagination.
    The People Mover was a demonstration of a viable, comfortable, and efficient mode of public transportation on a smaller scale for use at places like city centers and downtown and stuff. It's something I could honestly picture using in my daily life if one were built in a proper place.

I could never see myself using the Rocket Rods as a mode of transportation. It was just a cheap thrill ride. If Tomorrowland was the scenery, then how do you enjoy it? When the poorly made Rocket Rod slows down just before a sharp turn? The queue was more interesting than the actual ride.

It was an attraction with very little payoff. You wait a couple hours to see things you can see from anywhere else in Tomorrowland. You could sit in your closet in the dark and see eveyrthing Rocket Rods had to offer. The People Mover however, had very little wait, was a comfortable place to rest your feet, and most important of all, relaxing.
    Last edited by SpokkerJones; 07-07-2007 at 06:52 PM.

The People Mover was a demonstration of a viable, comfortable, and efficient mode of public transportation on a smaller scale for use at places like city centers and downtown and stuff. It's something I could honestly picture using in my daily life if one were built in a proper place.

I could never see myself using the Rocket Rods as a mode of transportation. It was just a cheap thrill ride. If Tomorrowland was the scenery, then how do you enjoy it? When the poorly made Rocket Rod slows down just before a sharp turn? The queue was more interesting than the actual ride.

It was an attraction with very little payoff. You wait a couple hours to see things you can see from anywhere else in Tomorrowland. You could sit in your closet in the dark and see eveyrthing Rocket Rods had to offer. The People Mover however, had very little wait, was a comfortable place to rest your feet, and most important of all, relaxing.
    Yes, the peoplemover was very realistic in scope and design. It fit Epcot more than a fictional world of Tommorow, especially with how TL had changed from edutainment to entertainment since the late 70's. The rocket rods reflected this change, a fictional take on a futuristic idea. They had character and reflected the land instead of being a prototype in the middle of a magic kingdom.

As for enjoying the scenery, I really had no problem in doing so. You didn't go so fast that everything just became a blur. Instead of a stroll through TL, the attraction had changed to a jog through TL, still able to see the scenery perfectly fine. Even on the limited scope of the video you can see you have the time to look around plenty. On the launch and the entire second half of the ride where you are over the autopia and lagoon.

Rocket Rods was basically the Casy Jr Circus train for TL. Sure, you don't see all the details of Storybook land while on the train, but the scenery is still great to chug by. If you want a closer look, go on the the canal boats. Same with Rocket Rods. You get a quick look of the land, and if you want to see more, walk around and visit the other attractions.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the RR were a wonderfully great attraction and that the peoplemover was horrid, I just find it hypocritical to call the RR unthemed and uncreative when the peoplemover was actually much more plain and lacking Disney creativity (infusing story and technology).

I think the People Mover should come back, with extremely updated effects in the tunnel. TAT in WDW is awesome, and I really just want to see Tommorrowland live up to its full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaCub View Post
    http://www.o-keating.com/hsr/tilt.htm

This is the link that "I" wish would bring back a ride to the PeopleMover tracks.

The trains themselves tilt, meaning that there is no need for the PPM track to be banked! Disney could use this to bring back the Rods or something on the tracks!

I get so mad when I'm in TL and see that track empty and dying.

Grr!
    The need for banking wasn't for the comfort of the passengers, it was because the tires of the vehicles were needing to be replaced about every 3rd or 4th day. It got to be very expensive. The idea in that link while cool, wouldn't help the Rocket Rods.

Doug
    Pain is temporary, Film is forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    I loved this ride. It had much more character, IMO, than the peoplemover. Always made me think of some crazy taxi service in the future. I still saw plenty of scenery as we zipped through TL. And everyone complaining about the line...it was a brand new attraction in the newly redone TL, of course it had a long line. Would these lines remain? I highly doubt it. In all actuality, the line would have gotten down to 30-50 min once another attraction opened up. And I would rather wait the 2 hours inside the nice Rocket Rod queue as opposed to waiting 1 hour in the outdoor switchback Buzz queue.
    The problem was the ride kept breaking down. They would come in and say the ride will be down for an hour and half and they would clear the line out. I stood in line 4 times before I ever got to ride the ride. And the issues with the ride weren't getting solved because they were basic problems with the the ride its self. They were trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Doug

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I loved this ride and yes I rode them

The constant acceleration/deceleration was uncomfortable to both the riders and the machinery. I rode on it twice during the slower fall season, but I can't remember much about the ride outside of the horribly slow line.

The people-mover left more lasting memories, particularly the Tron scene, and looking into the various other rides (star tours, space mountain.)

• Banned User

Remember the sound it made? Ugh. It impacted the whole land in ways you would not believe. It was just beep beep beep beep all day long. It was a godsend that it broke down 10 times a day.

I knew we couldn't have a post to remember a ride we like without the HATAS hijacking it...
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicAge View Post
    The need for banking wasn't for the comfort of the passengers, it was because the tires of the vehicles were needing to be replaced about every 3rd or 4th day. It got to be very expensive. The idea in that link while cool, wouldn't help the Rocket Rods.

Doug
    No, the transmissions on the vehicles were taking a beating due to the constant acceleration and de-acceleration.

It had nothing to do with the tires, but good guess!
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post
    No, the transmissions on the vehicles were taking a beating due to the constant acceleration and de-acceleration.

It had nothing to do with the tires, but good guess!
    Well thats not what I was told at the time when I was asked to get out of a vehicle because they had to move the car off the track and change the tires. I have no doubt that the transmission was an issue also. But the tires were part of the problem. People down below were reporting being rained on by bits of rubber.

Doug

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast