Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disneyland Bound

Disneyland, here I come!

I guess it's official now. Airfare is bought and paid for, hotel and park tickets are reserved and deposit made for October 27th-31st. The Disneyland Hotel was already booked up for those dates on their 3 nights 4th free special, so looks like we're staying at the Marriott Fairfield Inn across the street- they had the same deal. The Disneyland Express Bus will take us from LAX to the hotel. I've heard it can be a rather lengthy trip, but the last thing we'll want to do after a full day of flying is try to navigate Los Angeles traffic. We're from a town that doesn't even have a traffic sign or light! Best to let someone else worry about traffic issues.

We're so excited! The kids (ages 15, 13 & 8) about shot out of their seats when DH and I told them the good news. This will be their first airplane ride(s) and their first amusement park venture. For DH and me, it'll be a fun Disney reunion. We each had one brief trip to the park in childhood and are eager to see what's changed and what hasn't in the last 30 years!

So on to my questions. What do cab fares run in the Aneheim area? We are adamant about not driving. We have a full three days in Aneheim and plan to spend most of them in the park. However, this is the first chance for our kids to see the ocean and we are determined that they will have the experience. I've read that Newport Beach is 18 miles from the hotel and Huntington Beach is 19 miles. Is one beach better than another for a weekday afternoon? We'd like to at least wade, if the weather is too cold to actually swim. It would also be fun to watch surfers if either of the beaches have surfing/swimming. I'm wondering the best way to get to/from the beach and am assuming a taxi is our best option (there will be 5 of us). Looking on line, I can find lots of info on taxis, but no info on the rates specifically. I've never been in a taxi, so know nothing about them. Anything you can tell me about Anaheim taxi's or other transportation options and anything you can tell me about the beaches would be most appreciated!

Also, whats the deal with Disney pins and lanyards? We get some as part of our "package" and the agent said something about trading them with CMs? Huh?

I'm so excited for the kids and for DH and meeeeeee! This is our first real family vacation. Disneyland here we come!

Thanks in advance, you MiceChatters are the best!

Re: Disneyland, here I come!

I took the taxi from the train station about two weeks ago. It was about 2.5 miles away and it costed somewhere around 9.50.
    Peace. Love. Unity. Respect. Responsibility.

• Pirate Girl

How exciting for you! And to come in Oct when the park will be all decked out for Halloween(my favorite).

I am no taxi expert. But I am going to guess that a taxi to the beach and back would be rather pricey. I bet the hotel might have some sort of bus transportation to the beach. Check on that.

I am a local, so I don't have firsthand knowlege on the travel lanyard thing. But from what I see, many travel guests(booked with AAA or whatever) get a lanyard with a pin on it. I am a pin trader so I DO know all aboout trading with cast members. Some CMs working all over will wear a lanyard with pins. They have to trade with you for a pin that you may give them in exhcange for a pin off their lanyard. It must have the Disney copyright on the reverse. You can trade away your travel pin or buy other pins to trade or even trade with other guests(if they agree). It's fun and totally addicting. Also their are special lanyard pins that you can only get by trading with CMs. They are now called "Hidden Mickey pins", They used to be called cast member lanyard series pins. We love them.

Have fun,

Aprille :-)

• Disneyland Bound

I was just reading up on the Disney pin trading thing and I think I'm addicted without even having acquired a pin yet! I'd been wondering what to look at for souvenirs when I'm there. Pins would be great for that, eh?

Aprille, what pins do you collect? How do you narrow down what you collect? I'd think you'd have to collect a specific category of pins in order to keep sane. What are the most popular categories of pins?

Thanks Aprille and wfkronberg for the info!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Welcome to our "home"! You sound so excited that it is contagious! Have fun!

Pins: Be sure to pick a theme (ie: Princesses, Disney Cats (mine), Jessica Rabbit (hubby's), Donald, etc.) that way you won't be overwhelmed with all the cute pin and want to buy everything!

• Disneyland Bound

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Welcome to our "home"! You sound so excited that it is contagious! Have fun!

Pins: Be sure to pick a theme (ie: Princesses, Disney Cats (mine), Jessica Rabbit (hubby's), Donald, etc.) that way you won't be overwhelmed with all the cute pin and want to buy everything!
    Thanks so much! I think I'm more excited than the kids- probably because I'm the one putting it all together. I'll be a basketcase by October, ha ha!

I was wondering about Disney cats or Tinkerbelle. Pixies and kittys and definitely my "thang" and it looks like there are plenty of pin assortments out there to choose from. I've been manhandling my credit card for the last hour, wanting to buy a couple of starter pins and trying to resist temptation until I'm a little more informed... and focused.

How many cat pins do you have? How long have you been trading/collecting?

• Lilo :D

Yay how exciting! For the beach question, I would suggest Huntington Beach...that's where most of my friends and I go to

I'm not sure about the taxi questions since I'm a local and I don't ride the taxis around here.

I hope you will have lots of fun!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by lil lisa View Post
    How many cat pins do you have? How long have you been trading/collecting?
    Only about a year. But I just collect, no trading. Most from DL, some from ebay. Here are a few.

• I'm Flying High

Congrats! I hope you and your family have a great time! I don't really have a specific pin category, but my favorites are the attraction pins, or the pins that are themed to the lands. I've been collecting for about three years but I only have about 25 since I don't go often and have a very limited amount of money. Whenever I go on a ride I was nervous to go on (I'm not good with speed or drops), I think about getting a pin with the ride on it. I was about to get a Splash Mountain pin after I went on it, but I found another one. It can be quite difficult choosing, but fun. My advice is to buy the pins the day you leave so that you are positive you have seen everything.
    The daydream princess

• Disneyland Bound

My funds are very limited too. Thats part of what appealed to me when I was reading about pin trading/collecting. It looked like you could find a lot of great pins for under 10$-15$ and could just do it bit by bit. It really sounds like fun!

PrincessY- thanks for posting the picture! You have a great collection going!

Thanks ladies for all the good info. Just talking about pins and beaches is really getting me excited for our Disneyland trip!

• Banned User

We go and trade pins we got from the travel company. there boring but we trade the CM's for awsome ride pins!! Have a wonderful time, I know how you feel I am like a kid in the candy shop when I first went !!! Awwwww heck who am I kidding, I am still crazy happy when i get to go !!! Take lots of pics, post a trip report and have a wondewrful time!!

• Disneyland Bound

I feel like a kid anticipating the candy shop, Hakuna Makarla! I'll definitely be taking tons of pics and writing up a TR when we go. I sure enjoy reading everyone elses. It's hard to be patient knowing it's 3 months away, but I know it'll go fast and I need the time to gather the funds together. Love your kitty (avatar) by the way. So pretty!

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Drove by Disneyland today... It made me sad

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lil lisa View Post
    I feel like a kid anticipating the candy shop, Hakuna Makarla! I'll definitely be taking tons of pics and writing up a TR when we go. I sure enjoy reading everyone else's. It's hard to be patient knowing it's 3 months away, but I know it'll go fast and I need the time to gather the funds together. Love your kitty (avatar) by the way. So pretty!
    I am going in 7 months, so for me its a life time And yes, I have to collect the funds to go to . I am going off season because the rates are much lower. I also love to go because its the rainy season and the park empties out when it rains
    We have super duper poncho's and enjoy the park like no bodies business.
    I am all about planning even though I know once I am there plans fly out the window

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    I also love to go because its the rainy season and the park empties out when it rains
    Rain? Rain? I seem to remember that word. That is that wet stuff that used to come out of the sky, right? We had a little over 2 inches of rain last year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast