Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Tomorrowland Terrace should play area specific music, NOT Avril Lavigne

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    i dont have a problem with it.

a futuristic country bears would be cool though lol
    Love it! This would be unBEARably cool and rockin!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

1188 miles from Disneyland. (Seattle, Washington)

I don't hear any other contemporary song when I'm there except in Tomorrowland. Adventureland, I hear drum beats. Fantasyland, I hear the Carousel playing Disney songs. Main Street, old ragtime/show tunes that fit perfectly. I don't mind contemporary music, I just think it'd set the mood better in Tomorrowland if they did have a more futuristic soundtrack playing in that area.

myspace.com/xrybox

Next trip to Disneyland - August 17, 2007

• Iron-Clad Allie

Keep pumpin' the pop at the Tomorrowland Terrace. It's Powerful! It's Happy! It's Contemporary! Tomorrowland reverberates to the VIBE! How about an Intergalactic Elvis returning to Earth to ROCK the planet, along with the Plutoniums (Pluto, Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofey and Max)?! heh heh

It would be most wonderful, however, if the Finding Nemo Musical from DAK were to come to TT, and add to the mix of entertainment there.

Disney tunes and other forms of music would not be any more futuristic than pop. Although, I'd have no problem with them being played at times when TT would be sitting there quiet anyway. Honestly, Mr. Spokker, i get the feeling that you would like to go on a mission to end all POPular music.

As much as I love jazz, blues, country, cajan, show tunes (including Disney), I am just as crazy about Pop.
    One should never lose site of the fact that today's trendy music oft times becomes a part of tomorrow's classics.

Contemporary pop music for the youthful has always been disdained by those who are a bit past their prime. LOL!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-08-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by System Error View Post
    Jazz is such a broad and diverse term. I could never envision modern Jazz rap or techno jazz artist at Plaza Gardens. But I definitely could imagine it at Tomorrowland Terrace.

Jazz is such a general a term and is often the source of confusion. I think you're referring to old jazz from the 1890s Dixieland, 1930s Kansas City and Swing, to 1940s Bebop. Yes, that would fit best at Plaza Gardens.

To specifically address the topic, I get really tired of the same old pop songs from years ago still being played. Play new songs or even (gasp!) original songs. I think that's why people like Suburban Legends (I think they're so-so) but people want something new and different from what's outside the berm.
    Well something is considered Jazz generally if it is improvisational. That could include any of the forms that you talk about, but not everything in those forms would be considered Jazz. Much of the 1940 swing, Glen Miller for instance, is not improvisational at all and is there for in the Jazz style, but may not be considered Jazz.

Doug
    Pain is temporary, Film is forever!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicAge View Post
    I just re-read your post again and now have a question for you. Are you talking about area music being piped in via the sound system through out Tomorrowland, or are you talking about cover bands playing at the TT?
    I'm talking about when I'm in line for Finding Nemo. I can hear the music from the Terrace and it's very loud.

The area music plays in TL's main corridor where Star Tours/Buzz/Space Mountain are. It's songs like Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, The Monorail Song and other TL classics remixed. That's not what I'm complaining about. I don't *like* TL's area music as it is, but at least it attempts to fit in with the theme.

I just don't think the Terrace's music is appropriate when I'm standing in line for Nemo. I don't mind the bands that play there however.

• Minion

I hate all the pop trash that kids like nowdays and Disney should be completely free of all that annoying crap. Unfortenately the Disney corporation feeds into this whole pop trash is great mentality with the Disney Channel.

I say play area specific music.

They should be playing music that is somewhat themed to the land, or at least neutral in nature.
    Maybe some John Williams-esque type classical stuff mixed with some modern computer generated sounscapes.

Imagine walking in to NOS or Frontierland and hearing some heinous, teeny bopper pop songs blaring away.

I don't know the answer, but its not some manufactured American Idol type drivel.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    The last few times I've been waiting in line for Finding Nemo at midnight the Tomorrowland Terrace is blasting pop hits such as Rhiana, Avril Lavigne, and some kind of Axel's theme remix that is beyond bad I want to puke.

Should the Tomorrowland Terrace play this music or instead play area specific Tomorrowland themed peices? I'd just play the area music or Finding Nemo tracks in honor of the new attraction. Anything is better than the pop trash they play now.

I never understood why Tomorrowland was the place youngsters deemed "hip" among all the lands in Disneyland. I've heard the same music tracks I've heard at Magic Mountain blasting from the Terrace before. Rhiana and their ilk are fine for KIIS FM and Six Flags the like, but not Tomorrowland. It's bad show.

What do you think?
    I agree with you to an extent. As others have pointed out, pop music has always been part of the scene, particularly in Tomorrowland.

However, while over the years the various live performances of bands and singers at the Tomorrowland Terrace have been much appreciated and have added an engaging element to the park atmosphere, it can't, and shouldn't, be considered the default "sound of Tomorrowland" when it comes to recorded music that's broadcast over the land's speakers. Today's pop hits are rarely tomorrow's music. Thematically, it's important for Tomorrowland to be looking forward, and that should be reflected in the area background music. How that's achieved, however, is the tricky part. What existing style of music can honestly be considered "the music of tomorrow"? Electronic music? Well, no. That's also the music of today. In 1955, it was the music of tomorrow, but time caught up. Even if Tomorrowland were to have a BGM soundtrack of nothing but electronic music, there would still be those who say it sounds like rave music from Ibiza, or bloopy antiquated electronic music from the 50s and 60s. So either way, you're stuck.

I'm fine with a variety of styles and stylistic mashups, if that works, and as long as the selection of tunes is clean and thematically accurate.

Besides, The Monorail Song and Miracles from Molecules and the Peoplemover music are just such timeless classics, corny though they might be, that to deny younger generations the joy of standing in line or walking through Tomorrowland while they play in the background is almost as bad as denying them the joy of piloting a Rocket Jet or taking a ride on the Skyway.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I think it's fine coming from Tomorrowland Terrace. Bands play there all the time & I think it's fine in the evening.

They played the "Cha Cha Song" the other night & the whole line was dancing with it!! It kept us awake and occupied during the line. In fact, I'd like to be a little louder since there's really no music going through the Nemo queue until you get right up to the front.
    <o>

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

I actually liked how they played pure dance music During grad night....if it was a pop[ song...it was the dance remix...I think that if they played techno/dance...That would fit into the TL theme

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    I hate all the pop trash that kids like nowdays and Disney should be completely free of all that annoying crap. Unfortenately the Disney corporation feeds into this whole pop trash is great mentality with the Disney Channel.

I say play area specific music.
    Terrific idea! How hot it would be during the off hours, to pump music from the Disney Channel and from Disney radio thru a sound system at the Tomorrowland Terrace.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-08-2007 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    I'm talking about when I'm in line for Finding Nemo. I can hear the music from the Terrace and it's very loud.

The area music plays in TL's main corridor where Star Tours/Buzz/Space Mountain are. It's songs like Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, The Monorail Song and other TL classics remixed. That's not what I'm complaining about. I don't *like* TL's area music as it is, but at least it attempts to fit in with the theme.

I just don't think the Terrace's music is appropriate when I'm standing in line for Nemo. I don't mind the bands that play there however.

Yeah I agree that the music coming from the Terrace is sometimes too loud. But as I said they have been having cover bands doing pop songs there going way back to 67.

Doug
    Last edited by AtomicAge; 07-09-2007 at 12:59 PM.
    Pain is temporary, Film is forever!

• Merry 2014!

Can't beat the classics.
    Beethoven, Mozart. . . .
    they are timeless.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Hilsbro View Post
    I actually liked how they played pure dance music During grad night....if it was a pop[ song...it was the dance remix...I think that if they played techno/dance...That would fit into the TL theme
    Techno music definitely has a futuristic feel. The Electric Parade has a sort of Disney techno sound - and even mixes in and jazzes up some patriotic and classical music. Something for everybody.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-09-2007 at 01:06 AM.

• Progressive Disneylander

Well, as a fan of Avril Lavigne, I certainly would enjoy hearing her songs playing over at Tomorrowland Terrace while getting a bit to eat or waiting for Nemo.

HOWEVER, I do agree that appropriate theme music would be a better choice for TT and in Disneyland overall.

BUT, if they are resigned to playing rock music at TT, then let Avril play on!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast