Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Tomorrowland Terrace should play area specific music, NOT Avril Lavigne

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Think of Disneyland's Tomorrowland as a futuristic place in a science-fiction movie, for example. How is the presence of that music explained in the fiction?

Is the Tomorrowland Terrace like the Cafe '80's in the sequel to "Back to the Future"?

Disneyland is theatre. Any element, even a small one, that is out of place has the potential to create a major contradiction.

The year is now 2007. So explain to me why people still listen to the Beatles? Or Elvis? Or any other music act that came before us. Classical music is also centuries old. Does that mean that they're outdated? No. Good music lasts lifetimes. And while you may disagree on what good music is, you can't sit there and preach that modern music doesn't belong in the future. It's redonkulous.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    The year is now 2007. So explain to me why people still listen to the Beatles? Or Elvis? Or any other music act that came before us. Classical music is also centuries old. Does that mean that they're outdated? No. Good music lasts lifetimes. And while you may disagree on what good music is, you can't sit there and preach that modern music doesn't belong in the future. It's redonkulous.
    Absolutely, PragmaticIdealist - I join wirh Coheteboy in citing that your lack of repect for other peoples tastes in music is "REDORKULOUS"! It's also "ASSININE", and worthy of "CONDUMNATION"!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-09-2007 at 04:18 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

You have no idea what my taste in music is, so how are you able to impugn it? The purpose of this thread is to discuss whether or not music from 2007 or the Beatles or Elvis is appropriate for Tomorrowland. So, I say, again, should the Tomorrowland Terrace be considered a way for people in the future to be nostalgic about the past or should Tomorrowland Terrace have music that actually comes from the future?

I've criticized Innoventions and Rockin' Space Mountain for much the same reason. Avril Lavigne is not sufficiently once-upon-a-time-in-a-faraway-place for The Magic Kingdom, and the contemporary reality she represents does not support Tomorrowland's show.

Put the Red Hot Chili Peppers in D.C.A. They fit there. So does No Doubt and Gwen Stefani, as well as many others. But, none of this music belongs in Tomorrowland.

Disney should be more creative in developing a sound for Tomorrowland. Michael Jackson wrote original songs for "Captain EO", and they were sufficiently removed from contemporary reality.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by kayoss View Post
    God I LOVE the area soundtrack to Tokyo Disneyland's tomorrowland! It sounds like the french band "Air" actually.... (I think there might actually be some actual Air songs worked in there at points) .... and it works so well in setting the mood. Of course, Tokyo Disneyland's "World on the Move"-era white clinical stylizing goes a long way too!
    I think you're right, Moon Safari is on there. And other neo lounge like Montefiori Cocktail. It's way more informed than the normal BGM.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

How about the band from the cantina in "A New Hope" or the performers from Jabba the Hut's palace in "Return of the Jedi"? There are all sorts of possibilities for doing something with that venue that actually shows some imagination.

Either way you put it- there's those who love it and those who hate it.

Personally I don't think it detracts from show at all. Tomorrowland Terrace has been a place close to the heart for years and still is. I can recall the bands from the 90's like Voyager playing top 40's from artists like Paula Abdoul, and SNOW. Taking trips on the Peoplemover over and over again viewing Tomorrowland from above- how alive it all seemed with the Rocket Jets spinning, folks climbing the escalators to Space Mountain, and yes- the loud music, lights, and dancing from Tomorrowland Terrace.

Looking in a narrow picture I see how just plain and simple- dancing makes people happy- people (more specifically adults) seem to only dance to songs they know.

Big picture- what the heck does Avril, Weezer, or The Bengals have to do with Tomorrowland? Absolutely nothing! But I don't know many bands that pop up out of the ground so that's certainly one futuristic element that slams theming into the bands that play there.. I agree that I wouldn't want to hear that crud after standing in line for 2 hours for Nemo, however if I were a dining patron who just bought a Spicy Chicken Sandwich and a Coke from Tomorrowland Terrace I think I would certainly appreciate the extra entertainment provided at absolutely no cost to me!

I guess what I'm saying is if I actually stomached the queue for Nemo, and the music at Tomorrowland Terrace was bothering me and I had a hankering for some themed music I'd just pull out the I-pod and turn on some Finding Nemo music. That stage has been retro-fitted into so many versions over the years which pretty much proves it's not going anywhere anytime soon- and for that I'm still thankful.

And that's my ramble!

Now realizing that this topic was most likely about the BGM- the entire CD is in direct sequence with Radio Disney Jams #8 as listed below:

Track Listing
    Do You Believe in Magic - Aly and AJ
    What's Your Name - Jesse McCartney
    Pon De Replay - Rihanna
    Fly - Hilary Duff
    Pop Princess - The Click Five
    Lonely (Radio Disney Edit) - Akon
    Dance 4 U (Radio Disney Edit) - B5
    Cha Cha Slide (Radio Disney Edit) - Mr. C The Slide Man
    Shake a Tail Feather - Cheetah Girls
    Axel F - Crazy Frog
    Sk8ter Boi- Avril Lavigne
    Almost (Radio Disney Edit) - Bowling for Soup
    Just the Way I Am - Skye Sweetnam
    Go Figure - Everlife
    That's Good - Devo 2.0
    Last edited by youcancallmechris; 07-10-2007 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Realized I am a moron...

• missing the DisneyGallery

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicAge View Post
    Popular music of the day has been playing at the TT at least since the new Tomorrowland in 1967. I don't see any reason why they should change that tradition now.

Doug
    It stinks. They should play the area music of WDW.
    Last edited by SciFi96; 07-12-2007 at 05:27 AM.

When attractions were original

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    I never understood why Tomorrowland was the place youngsters deemed "hip" among all the lands in Disneyland.
    I like the fact that the youngsters are interested in the future I remember a time when I was part of a group of youngsters that 'LIVED' in Tomorrowland. ah good times..

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
    I'd be game for that. Quality hip hop and turntablism is about the only thing that could rightly be called the music of the future, and it's been notoriously passed over for too long at the park.
    I love it when wild speculative opinion is presented as if it was fact.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    I love it when wild speculative opinion is presented as if it was fact.
    I beg your pardon?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

The last few times I've been waiting in line for Finding Nemo at midnight the Tomorrowland Terrace is blasting pop hits such as Rhiana, Avril Lavigne, and some kind of Axel's theme remix that is beyond bad I want to puke.

Should the Tomorrowland Terrace play this music or instead play area specific Tomorrowland themed peices? I'd just play the area music or Finding Nemo tracks in honor of the new attraction. Anything is better than the pop trash they play now.

I never understood why Tomorrowland was the place youngsters deemed "hip" among all the lands in Disneyland. I've heard the same music tracks I've heard at Magic Mountain blasting from the Terrace before. Rhiana and their ilk are fine for KIIS FM and Six Flags the like, but not Tomorrowland. It's bad show.

What do you think?
    You think this is bad? You would have pulled your hair out if you had to sit through Kids of the Kingdom!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

They have pop bands there and such, and that's cool...but I think the music that is played while there is 'no band' on stage should be 'themed' appropriately.

I heard some old B-52's stuffed piped in there a few times....and it seemed quite appropriately themed. It was "25 Miles West of Venus" - and since Tomorrowland is 'space themed' it seemed appropriate.

But piping in music like Avril Lavigne and such, it just doesn't seem themed correctly.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

The last few times I've been waiting in line for Finding Nemo at midnight the Tomorrowland Terrace is blasting pop hits such as Rhiana, Avril Lavigne, and some kind of Axel's theme remix that is beyond bad I want to puke.

Should the Tomorrowland Terrace play this music or instead play area specific Tomorrowland themed peices? I'd just play the area music or Finding Nemo tracks in honor of the new attraction. Anything is better than the pop trash they play now.

I never understood why Tomorrowland was the place youngsters deemed "hip" among all the lands in Disneyland. I've heard the same music tracks I've heard at Magic Mountain blasting from the Terrace before. Rhiana and their ilk are fine for KIIS FM and Six Flags the like, but not Tomorrowland. It's bad show.

What do you think?
    I guess you don't want to be under Rhiana's umbrella ella ella eh eh eh?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    You have no idea what my taste in music is, so how are you able to impugn it? The purpose of this thread is to discuss whether or not music from 2007 or the Beatles or Elvis is appropriate for Tomorrowland. So, I say, again, should the Tomorrowland Terrace be considered a way for people in the future to be nostalgic about the past or should Tomorrowland Terrace have music that actually comes from the future?

I've criticized Innoventions and Rockin' Space Mountain for much the same reason. Avril Lavigne is not sufficiently once-upon-a-time-in-a-faraway-place for The Magic Kingdom, and the contemporary reality she represents does not support Tomorrowland's show.

Put the Red Hot Chili Peppers in D.C.A. They fit there. So does No Doubt and Gwen Stefani, as well as many others. But, none of this music belongs in Tomorrowland.

Disney should be more creative in developing a sound for Tomorrowland. Michael Jackson wrote original songs for "Captain EO", and they were sufficiently removed from contemporary reality.
    The crowds love the Avril Lavign, Chili Peppers, No Doubt, and other cutting edge performers. The Fab Four tributory group to the Beatles has also proven their ability to entertain throngs of people. Most Disney show tunes are futuristic either - althogh I'd like to hear more of them in Tomorrowland.

"Music that actually comes from the future" is an impossibility. Somebody would have to defy the laws of science and travel into the future in order to bring it back. Plus, the music would be bootleged here in our time period - because the composers would not exist yet and couldn't receive any royalties.

Michael Jackson's Captain EO somgs were pop, pure and simple. They were written by contract for Disneyland, and were not aired in broadcasting market. Just the same, there was nothing futuristic about the music, other than the space age costumes that were worn while performing them. I did love the show. However, the only thing that is removed from reality is Wacko Jacko.

I'd like to see more modern rock, techno pop, r&b, jazz, Disney show tunes and hip hop. As long as the music gives me a happy vibe, it makes the futuristic setting of Tomorrowland a wonderful place to me. A small number of those who would censor the music that the rest of us are allowed to listen to are not being very Pragmatic or Ideal. These people don't even agree with eachother.
    May Tomorrowland Keep On Dancing!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• :)

I agree, this music is more for DTD.. Although I do enjoy Suburban Legends

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast