Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Storybookland Spiel

Do you sometimes wish that you could just ride through Storybookland without that incessant chatter of the live guides? To me, the beauty and charm of the scenery would seem to be better enjoyed with either some background music and/or a pre-recorded, less "hyper" narration that would complement the more lycial quality of the experience. In other words, I think the quiet wonder and fascination of this miniature world (and isn't that the thrust of this whole attraction?) is compromised by guides who just rattle off their spiel more like a perfunctory "preparation for take off" ("please keep your seatbacks and traytables in their fully upright and locked position...") lines. Sometimes I just wish they'd shut up!

• Minion

Re: Storybookland Spiel

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    Do you sometimes wish that you could just ride through Storybookland without that incessant chatter of the live guides? To me, the beauty and charm of the scenery would seem to be better enjoyed with either some background music and/or a pre-recorded, less "hyper" narration that would complement the more lycial quality of the experience. In other words, I think the quiet wonder and fascination of this miniature world (and isn't that the thrust of this whole attraction?) is compromised by guides who just rattle off their spiel more like a perfunctory "preparation for take off" ("please keep your seatbacks and traytables in their fully upright and locked position...") lines. Sometimes I just wish they'd shut up!
    I'd rather that chatty guests would shut up so I could hear the CM's spiel.

Might also be nice if the Storybook CM's had some JC-like discretion in their spiels in appropriate circumstances. Might give the ride a lift.
    Last edited by JeffYardDog; 07-08-2007 at 12:10 PM.

• "I Break Things"

I an way, yes, but I was thinking about something else.

Off Topic- They had a promotional called "water wars" a while back for CM's. While it was "scripted" to a degree and put on TV it had it's roots in real incidents. All spieling attractions were for a brief time under "Narrations". This allowed the JC Skips to make a few friends on our "sister" river. It was pretty common practice that if a Skip had a large enough party to fill a boat he would be handed the mic once out of sight of the other boats. THAT was a trip worth being on. Water Wars was the broadcasted version of this. They took 2 Skips and 4 Storybook kids and switched them to see who could do the other's job best. 2 to 4 and we kicked the crap out of them.... sorry... they wouldn't allow any more then 2 of us to participate!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Cherry Tart

Well then, I'll be sure to tell all my Book coworkers that you don't appreciate us and what we do.

Many of us love Storybook. We enjoy spieling. There are too many posts that say CMs are bitter about our jobs, but here you are complaining about us who LIKE doing it? Come on, give us a break.

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    Well then, I'll be sure to tell all my Book coworkers that you don't appreciate us and what we do.

Many of us love Storybook. We enjoy spieling. There are too many posts that say CMs are bitter about our jobs, but here you are complaining about us who LIKE doing it? Come on, give us a break.
    Let it roll off.

I was a CM at DCA almost all the time at Flik's. You know how much respect that gets around Micechat and by some people in the park.

My attitude - which I never voiced - was, if you don't like it, go somewhere else. We won't miss you and there's plenty of people who do appreciate it.

• Minion

Yeah, I really wish they'd replace all those annoying humans by inflexible and disembodied recordings.

It's so annoying to have people involved with a trip to the parks. I wish they'd replace all those annoying other guests with robots also.

• "I Break Things"

As a former Skip I can't really say much since we had a pretty long leash... just how much CAN you do with regards to the spiel? Wish there was some jokes in there... As I posted before, we had a blast when they handed us the mic "On your right is the cabin of the 7 Dwarfs... see the smoke, smell the BBQ, you know there used to be 2 or 3 ducklings swimming around here, wonder where they took off to." or if there was a Duck in central park "OH MY GOD ruuuuuun it's DUCKZilla..." Walt Disney might be turning in the grave but there was a smile and a chuckle with every spin...

• Sock Puppet

Do you sometimes wish that you could just ride through Storybookland without that incessant chatter of the live guides?
    It's called Casey Jr. RR.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTom View Post
    It's called Casey Jr. RR.
    at 6'4 I BARELY fit in Casey... I really really wish they would make bigger cars... hey that should be a thread.

• Minion

i just didnt like when our tour lady said, "here were entering monstro, the story is pinochio lit a fire inside the belly to make monstro sneeze him and his father out, it worked, and monstro sneezed so hard his tail blew right off" Dont all attack me for not liking it!haha

she also said and heres the sultans palace in the city of AgrabaD when its actually agrabah!!

w/e lol

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    I'd rather that chatty guests would shut up so I could hear the CM's spiel.

Might also be nice if the Storybook CM's had some JC-like discretion in their spiels in appropriate circumstances. Might give the ride a lift.
    My Storybook guide was making jokes about things that were spontaneous.. or at least variable. (ducks, weather, etc)

I think the OP is off.. the guides are fine and without them most guests would have no clue what most of the sets were.

If the OP goes so often the spiel bothers you, I suggest a break possibly.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I like them. It's one of the things that makes the ride charming.
    <o>

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick View Post
    I like them. It's one of the things that makes the ride charming.
    Not big on the costume but for some reason the ladies were usually cute.

Oh no! I love you guys at Storybookland. It's in my top 3 favorite rides! But I must say I find the music in the ride to be some of the best parts. Of course I'm a Disney music nut as well so go figure! But don't think we don't appreciate you!!!! You guys are lucky in my book!!!

• Driver Your Turn Is Clear

Costa Mesa, CA - 10.33 Miles South of DLR

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Not big on the costume but for some reason the ladies were usually cute.
    From as long as i can remember I have loved the story book ride. And you're right. They usually were cute!
    Check out My Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 rides... I'm always working on another one... I hope they make you want to go to Disneyland.

"Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."
    ~Walt Disney~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast