Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disney Dreams

First timer to DL!

OK - I'm gonna need some help from you DL veterans - I'm a first timer who frequents WDW with an annual pass, and my family ( myself, my grandmother, and my mother ) is planning a trip to DL for the end of July/beginning of August. I really want tips on weather, must-see rides, possible character dining experiences, and really everything I need to know to make the most of one WEEK in DL. We would also possibly visit DCA, so any tips from there would also be greatly appreciated. If there are any tips on what to get FP for, that would also be good to know - thanks in advance!

• Fighter Pilot

Re: First timer to DL!

you can hit everyride in a day, so a week is enough time to even go on the not "must-rides"

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

A week is plently of time to pretty much do everything in DL.

• I Love Teaching!

With one week at DL you will be able to see everything, even DCA, more than once. If you are staying close or on property, you can rest in the afternoon and have a wonderful evening. With one week in So Cal you can see other sights as well, or throw in a trip to the beach. It will be hot, but not very humid at all. And no thunderstorms.

• Disney Dreams

Wow - thanks guys! I wasn't sure if we'd have enough time, but you guys are saying it's MORE than enough! Thank you! Any suggestions on character dining, or what rides are "must-see"? I know the subs must be, right?

•   
    • Senior Minion

I highly recommend the Lilo & Stitch breakfast buffet in DCA, the pineapple scones are THE BEST ... plus you get to see Stitch.

Also, a must see are Billy Hill & The Hillbillies who perform at the Golden Horseshoe located in Frontierland - their show times are on the daily guide which you get at the park entrance ... or from any grounds worker that is around.

Pirate's Lair is fun too, and the show on the Island is very entertaining as well. You can also go to the back of the Island for a photo op with Capt. Jack Sparrow.

As for FastPasses, the rides I'd get them for are Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain and Space Mountain (if you're into it Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters too) ... although it would be good to go in the regular line for Indiana Jones so you can check out how great the queue is ... and scare other people by tugging on the bamboo pole. If you are staying at one of the Disneyland hotels take advantage of early entry days and head straight for Fantasyland and on to Peter Pan ... that is one of the longest lines in Fantasyland. As for Nemo, you can always line up towards the end of the day so you aren't out in the hot sun.

If you plan to eat at the Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans I highly recommend making reservations to make your wait time minimal as well.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Might as well ride the stuff that isn't over there : Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit, Alice in wonderland, mr toad's wild ride, indiana jones, pinocchio (you have a week, so why not ) and should definitely see Fantasmic at least once or twice and of course get a nice spot on the hub for the superior fireworks (so i've heard)

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• Minion FOREVER!

Let's see.... here's what I would recommend:
    * rides not in WDW: Matterhorn, RR, Alice, Snow, Pinnochio, PeterPan, Mr Toad, PL@TSI, Subs
    * better rides (IMHO): HM, PoTC, DLRR, iasw, SpaceMountain, Tiki Room.
    * Blue Bayou (in terms of the atmosphere).
    * Disney Gallery (if you're going to be there) before it closes
    * I forget. Does WDW have dole whips?
    * Catch Fantasmic, it's w-a-y better than MGM's IMHO.
    * Same for the fireworks. (yup, I've seen MK's which is pretty good btw).

Since you're staying a week, I would stay in a DLR hotel and use one of the early days for
    Subs and another for Peter Pan instead of waiting till night for the Subs.

If you have a week, definitely do DCA and if you're into it, go to a beach.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    I highly recommend the Lilo & Stitch breakfast buffet in DCA, the pineapple scones are THE BEST ... plus you get to see Stitch.
    Actually the Lilo and Stitch breakfast is in the Paradice Pier Hotel in the PCH Grill.

Late July/early August the temps during the day will probably be 80's-90's, but the evenings/nights will be beautiful. So Cal doesn't usually have has high a humidity has Florida during the summer, so as long as you stay hydrated you'll be ok.

And since you'll have a whole week, I suggest that in the middle of the day when its hotest that you go back to the motel, spend some time resting or swimming in the pool. A week is more than enough time to see everything in DCA and Disneyland, so take your time and enjoy!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

on weekdays california screamin at DCA opens at 1:00pm
    see aladdin at DCA

take advantage of the disconnected fast pass machines, roger rabbit and i think grizzly river run.

the rainforest cafe is cool at downtown disney!

• Must Ride Space Mountain

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: First timer to DL!

A must due is Goofy's kitchen unless you have done this already at WDW. I've never been to WDW. Also check out the sites and sounds of Orange County and get some shoping in. Fortunatly for you California Adventure can be done within one day if you get there as soon as it opens. Here is something I did with my family from back east (if you have this kinda of time)

Day one = Do a Character breakfast + Hit DCA and do all of it including the Electrical Parade. Follow Fastpass suggestions for Soaring over California and Grizzly run. If you have little kids make sure they hit the little bear trails (or what ever it's called now).
    Day two = Be in line for DL as early as possible. Get fast passes for one of the big rides and hold on to it. Then go on the unpopular rides or stand in a line or two. Bring water. If you get a fast pass every hour or so you and stand in a few lines (fantasyland rides POTC, HM and so forth) you should be able to hit if not all the hot rides and many of the others. This can be done strolling through.

Day three = go shoping and see all the show and parades. Hit any rides you did go on with day two.

We got lucky last year and were able to hit all the rides on day two and finish on Day three. We even were able to go see Aladdin show at DCA again.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    I know you, I walked with you once apon a dream. See ya at the park! BFA. (Black Family Alert).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Let's see.... here's what I would recommend:
    * rides not in WDW: Matterhorn, RR, Alice, Snow, Pinnochio, PeterPan, Mr Toad, PL@TSI, Subs
    Snow White and Peter Pan are at WDW.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• To infinity & beyond!!

I really liked Ariel's Disney Princess Celebration at Ariel's grotto in DCA. The food wasn't very good, but the princesses were all very nice and posed with us for as many pictures as we wanted. We got to see Ariel, Belle, Wendy, Alice, and Mulan!

Quote Originally Posted by WDWGirl View Post
    Wow - thanks guys! I wasn't sure if we'd have enough time, but you guys are saying it's MORE than enough! Thank you! Any suggestions on character dining, or what rides are "must-see"? I know the subs must be, right?
    I wouldn't know about character dining, but as someone who visits both WDW and DLR, I would suggest checking out:

1) Enchanted Tiki Room
    2) Indiana Jones Adventure
    3) Pirates (the Disneyland version is much better than WDW's)
    4) Haunted Mansion (again, much better than WDW's)
    5) Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes (a different way of seeing the Rivers of America)
    6) Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
    7) "it's a small world" (mostly for the exterior of the building)
    8) The Matterhorn (The grandfather of Expedition Everest)
    9) Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (the guns are better than the ones in Space Ranger Spin and the targets are in different shapes to see how many points they are worth)
    10) Before you leave the park stop by Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years.

Anyway, just walking around Disneyland will be an interesting experience for you. You will notice that Disneyland is much smaller than the Magic Kingdom, but that doesn't mean it's worse. In fact, I find it to be better in many ways.
    Photographers Unite!
    Preserve Our Liberties

"Mono" means one and "rail" means... rail.

With a week to spend you'll have the ability to stop and smell the roses! That will be awesome. Take a moment as you enter DL for the first time. Walk under the berm and pause as you take in the original Disney park and feel how bizarre it is to be in a place so familiar, yet so subtly different. Look for your favorite things on WDW's Main Street and see what is in thier place on DL's. It is really interesting... as you walk toward the castle you will really have a wierd deja'vu. It will be a grand time!

Any thoughts to other attractions off property? SoCal could keep a tourist busy for well over a month.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast