Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Why two parks? Why didn't they just expand Disneyland?

I know the obvious answer is money here but I was just curious as to why they didn't just skip the DCA idea and just expand Disneyland into that same area? Since they seem so close to one another, wouldn't it make more sense just to expand what's already there instead of creating an entirely new park?

I'm curious what your take on that would be. What if DCA didn't exist and that portion of the land was just part of Disneyland.

Re: Why two parks? Why didn't they just expand Disneyland?

Disneyland is a full-day park. Expanding it would really make for too big of a park. Adding a separate gate makes more sense towards turning the property into a vacation destination rather than just a day trip.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

and imagine the price to get into this mega theme park....X_X

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• Another part of me

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialImperium View Post
    I suppose the price would be around $83..........

• Neep meep beep

Part of the reasoning was that they didn't want people going to Knotts, Universal, Sea World, etc., when they could spend money at the resort. So instead of going to Disneyland plus another park, people can feel like they are visiting two parks during their week vacation, but the money all goes to the same place!

• UnExiled Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    I know the obvious answer is money here but I was just curious as to why they didn't just skip the DCA idea and just expand Disneyland into that same area? Since they seem so close to one another, wouldn't it make more sense just to expand what's already there instead of creating an entirely new park?

I'm curious what your take on that would be. What if DCA didn't exist and that portion of the land was just part of Disneyland.
    The obvious answer is money. Period.
    A couple other logistical issues:
    1. Space Mountain is a big blob in what would be the center of an enlargened Tomorrowland. Had they delayed expansion plans about ten years, Space Mountain track would have to be replaced, and that would be the perfect time to move the whole attraction south of the current berm.
    2. Current Indy and POTC show buildings are south of the berm. If DL is expanded southward, then these buildings then get in the way of the expanded DL.
    3. So here's a possibility:
    a) Extend Main Street USA in a Southwest direction, and call it Main Street Everywhere;
    b) Expand the east side if DL southward, and there is a fork in the road where current MS-USA starts and where some new MS-World branches off;
    c) Take up as much of the Parking lot as you want with "Exploration World" or what-have-you themed "land."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Pilot EdForceOne

Money and perception...

Getting 2 is better then 1, right?

It's easier to justify demanding more money when someone is getting 2 of something rather then 1. Quantity is always easier to relate to over relative comparisons (trying to quantify or convince someone that one larger something is 'that much better' to demand nearly twice the price).

Plus.. they had the successful model in Florida and they wanted to make the Anaheim property of the same model. A destination.. a resort.. not just a stop on a trip centered around other activities.

Its always about psychology and how to liberate dollars from their owners

Plus.. a separate park allows you to go in new directions without worrying about ties to the original or conflicts.

• Mickey Mouse Slave

if you plan to expand Disneyland, doesnt it mean you would have to shut down part of Disney then?

Esp when you want to expand Mainstreet... thats the only way INTO Disneyland's other lands...
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

Quote Originally Posted by KDR View Post
    Disneyland is a full-day park. Expanding it would really make for too big of a park. Adding a separate gate makes more sense towards turning the property into a vacation destination rather than just a day trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by CelestialImperium View Post
    I disagree with both of these explanations -- even though they may be spot-on to what TDA was thinking. My personal belief is that if Disneyland were twice as big as it is now, and had twice as many quality attractions and only a 50% increase in ticket price, it would be a spectacular success.

First, the park would be too big for anyone to see in a single day. If a family traveled to Disneyland, they would be more likely to spend as many days as it takes to see the whole park. That is the same thing as a vacation destination. Currently, with DCA, you must make the choice to see one park, or both. That is a much different decision than only staying long enough to see a portion of one park. E-tickets could be planned so that they were not sitting on top of each other (not that I would prefer this as a customer) and could be built at optimal distances away from each other. The point in doing this would be to ensure people are less likely to see everything in a single day, and would be more likely to return for 2 or more days.

Also, more money could be made by having a single gate. How?? Increase the price by 50%. Lets say both parks charge $50. It would cost $100 over the course of 2 days to see both parks. If this was a mega-sized Disneyland though, and the cost of admission was 50% more ($75). It would then cost $150 to see a single park in 2 days -- and it would be well worth it. Personally, I often make the decision NOT to go to DCA because I dont want to be STUCK in one park without access to the attractions in Disneyland. Furthermore, walking in and out of gates with park hoppers is just too slow. None of this would be a problem happen if it were just one park.
    Ryborg

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    Also, more money could be made by having a single gate. How?? Increase the price by 50%. Lets say both parks charge $50. It would cost $100 over the course of 2 days to see both parks. If this was a mega-sized Disneyland though, and the cost of admission was 50% more ($75). It would then cost $150 to see a single park in 2 days -- and it would be well worth it. Personally, I often make the decision NOT to go to DCA because I dont want to be STUCK in one park without access to the attractions in Disneyland.
    Errrr, don't you have exactly that now, but at a better price? You know, the park-hopper pass? For less than 50% above the price of a one-day, one-park pass, you get to visit both parks.

Not only that, but if you only want to visit one park, you aren't FORCED to pay to visit the expanded area.

Logically, this works better and is actually a much better deal for the consumer than what you're proposing.

• Minion

I like the idea of it being one big park. Unfortenately Disney didn't think the general public would fall for a major price increase, thus they had to built a seperate park, so the general public will think it is okay to be charged more money.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The brilliant design of Disneyland would be forever altered. The hub and spoke design would then cease to exist.

• Minion

uh while were at it lets combine animal kingdom and epcot and mgm...oh and then add magic kingdom

• Boogers are salty

DCA was just suppose to be the first of many new parks, they didnt realize the California didnt work the same way as Florida, there is just to much here already established, when WDW was created, it was to be the East coast Disney and there was no Competition, now theres so many other parks and things in Florida but WDW is already established and other parks are trying to break in, here its revers, here Disneyland Resort is trying to become the West WDW but there is already an established entertainment industry in Southern California that is to strong for Disney to Trump. thats the difference, WDW created the Entertainment Industry in Florida, in Southern California Disney is just part of the landscape. Huge miscalculation on they're part that they are now paying for, basically they looked at WDW and said why dont we bring that to Disneyland. But the main reason it didnt work was money, they didnt give DCA the budget to stand up to the competition.

• Lincoln and Julie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The brilliant design of Disneyland would be forever altered. The hub and spoke design would then cease to exist.
    Agreed. Expanding into the parking lot would have seriously altered the appeal of the homey park and created a weird vibe where half of the park (the original park) has all these top notch, E-ticktes huddled together, and the other part (the new half- assuming they use a similar budget as they did for DCA) would be this giant mass with few big attractions spread out with a ton of shops and restaurants. This works fine for DCA, but it would be like a giant tumor on the face of DL...

Not to mention the public uproar that would occur...are you kidding me? People would have freaked. DL is an american institution like Coca-Cola and Rock n' Roll...And I think more people on this site would hate it far more than they think. And for that matter, would probably hate it far more than DCA.
    Last edited by TAKINGtheBULLET; 07-09-2007 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling errors ;)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast