Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion FOREVER!

Re: How long do you think Remember will last? What about Fantasmic?

Personally, I think that R will be replaced sometime w/ in 18 months. There are new
    fireworks effects that could easily be put into a new show that simply can't work very well
    in R.

F! on the other hand is still pretty good (but really needs an update; it has been updated
    in the past, but that seems like a while ago... I can't think of any changes lately).

So maybe that means that maybe it's time to do a completely new one. *shrug*

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by viewaskewniverse View Post
    Fantasmic has been going on a loooooooooooong time. I still love it, which is pretty amazing that a show that's, what, over 15 years old is still pretty neat. Is it that old? I forget. Anyway, I digress. Do you think Fantasmic is going away anytime soon?
    They just refurbed it, and spent some good money on new boats, projectors, etc... I doubt it will go away anytime soon.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    LOL!! you who want it to go are locals I believe.
    You believe wrongly. I'm in Wake Forest, NC.

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    You believe wrongly. I'm in Wake Forest, NC.
    ~stalks~

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by viewaskewniverse View Post
    ~stalks~

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I don't have a problem with the themeing issue and fantasmic.. why?? Because I believe thats how they intended it. They intended something magical to happen in the place you least expected, they intended for a stage you once walked on during the day to transform at night.. They intended to let your imagination go wild while watching the show. New Orleans square and frontierland and Pirate Island all get transformed to Mickeys Imagination... an imagination isn't confinded to one specific land based on theme, it spreads, and mickeys spreads all over that area during that show. It what makes the show unique and popular, because no one who hasn't seen the show suspects what has just happened.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

• a wind to shake the stars

I don't like Fantasmic either. It's an okay show but I've seen it a few times and between the intense crowds and that I don't really have a desire to see the show again I try to visit the park on days when it's not playing, or at the very least stay on the East side of the park while it's going on. Plus, NOS at night is really neat but not when there are 15,000 people there.

Remember, on the other hand, is probably my single favorite thing at Disneyland in any time period. I'd be fine if they kept it forever, it's really an absolutely perfect fireworks show and the highlight of my visit on every trip I make.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I don't have a problem with the themeing issue and fantasmic.. why?? Because I believe thats how they intended it. They intended something magical to happen in the place you least expected, they intended for a stage you once walked on during the day to transform at night.. They intended to let your imagination go wild while watching the show. New Orleans square and frontierland and Pirate Island all get transformed to Mickeys Imagination... an imagination isn't confinded to one specific land based on theme, it spreads, and mickeys spreads all over that area during that show. It what makes the show unique and popular, because no one who hasn't seen the show suspects what has just happened.
    By golly, you're right.

Also, the fact that immediately after the show (aka, during the exit music) it's completely back to being the island. No light towers on the island, no dragons, just Lafitte's Tavern and that's it.
    (now 20 mins after it's in take-down, but we don't comment on that)

• "I Break Things"

F! thus far doesn't have anything to be replaced with... and like MSEP whatever follows is expected to be either comprable or better... anyone remember Light Magic? I wonder how many people were tired of MSEP and then SCREAMED to have it back when the faries started dancing! Either way I would look for a quality replacement before giving it the boot.

R! good show... they can edit it and loose most of the 50th promo crap and still retain the show. Considering what they spent on the R&D I can't see them just scrapping it.

As a bit of a reality check... how long did we have our 2000 parade for?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Can see my car from here

Fantasmic utterly destroyed one of the most serene, romantic, evocative areas of the Park.

I eagerly await its demise, and pray nothing takes its place.
    Steve, I felt the same way about the demise of Bear Country, and how about Indian Village before that (none due to Fantasmic, however). Fantasmic! is less than 30 minutes in length, the rest of the time that area is like any other summer night. I don't see how it has "utterly destroyed" anything. If you are looking for serene and romantic, may I suggest one of the many fine hotels surrounding Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    I'm not a local, but I appreciate the motivations behind your support of Fantasmic: your desire that all should have the opportunity to view the show, especially those who see it infrequently due to geographic inconveniences. But 15 years? The same show? I would believe that if F! was a priority for vacationers, 15 years gives all a reasonable opportunity at viewing it many times.
    It has no thematic connection with the ROA, or Frontierland, or NOS, or even the ridiculous Pirate Island that houses it. It should go. It's time. I'll send flowers.
    Swabby, I agree with Disney Analystó shows like this don't need to be a perfect thematic fit for them to be successful. Look at all the parades that run up turn-of-the-century Main Street. Fantasmic! is about dreams and imagination, and I have no problem with its location. As a matter of fact, it uses its location and resources very well. Where else could you have Peter Pan fighting Captain Hook on a full sized sailing ship as it's actually sailing, or Steamboat Willie actually piloting a life-sized riverboat?

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    15 years gives all a reasonable opportunity at viewing it many times.
    What if you weren't born 15 years ago? You and I may have seen it many times, but every time I go, I see kids and teens (and many adults) that are seeing it for the first time and are absolutely awe-struck by the show.

Using the "15 year" rule, I guess everyone has had ample opportunity to see the Pirate of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion, so let's rip those out as well!

A good show is a good show no matter how long it's been around, and I don't think it's going away for quite a while (to the dismay of a few.) When Fantasmic! does finally bow out, rest assured a new river show of some sort will take it's place that will be even bigger and louder (Blue Angels flyby at the end of each performance?) A nighttime show there has become as much a part of the Disneyland experience as parades and fireworks. Might as well get used to it. And as you know, Fantasmic! has been so successful and well-received that it appears we will soon be getting a similar nighttime spectacular in California Adventure called "The Wonderful World of Color." Better head over there now before it opens, while you can still hear crickets chirping at night

As for Remember, Dreams Come True, I am one of probably 3 people that have still never seen the show. It's on my to-do list, and I am really looking forward to it. Hope it is still there when I come to see it later this year!
    Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mikerscope View Post
    Fantasmic! is less than 30 minutes in length, the rest of the time that area is like any other summer night. I don't see how it has "utterly destroyed" anything.
    The "show" may only be 30 minutes long, but in no way is the area the same as "any other summer night." There are crowds that begin setting up camp hours before hand, and the entire area is one mass of people--in an area never designed to be an outdoor amphitheater--for virtually the entire evening. You may not "see" how it has utterly destroyed the area; my guess is, you've never taken an evening cruise on the Mark Twain, or even the Columbia.

The area has been destroyed, and I will truly be jubilant with the show's demise, hoping that nothing but the chirping of crickets and soft Dixieland jazz will take its place.

• Wonderful World

I think remember will have to be changed eventually, but as for Fantasmic I don't think it will be gone for a long time. If anything Disney will plus it. Fantasmic is one of my favorite attractions at the park. As my dad once put it, F! is one of the most amazing shows I have ever seen and I would would be extremely disappointed if they they replaced it with a show that does not match with Fantasmic.
    I'm back MiceChat

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Fantasmic is staying

For. EV. ER.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mikerscope View Post
    Swabby, I agree with Disney Analyst— shows like this don't need to be a perfect thematic fit for them to be successful. Look at all the parades that run up turn-of-the-century Main Street. Fantasmic! is about dreams and imagination, and I have no problem with its location.
    Parades don't have fixed locations. F! is a stage show, not a parade. In addition, it is a stage show that is ill-fitting in Frontierland on the Rivers of America in my opinion.
    What if you weren't born 15 years ago? You and I may have seen it many times, but every time I go, I see kids and teens (and many adults) that are seeing it for the first time and are absolutely awe-struck by the show.
    Specious argument, mate--we all enjoy the advantages, and suffer the liabilities of the specific times we live in. So F! should continue on in eternal perpetuity so no one, ever, is deprived of the opportunity to see it? Hmmmm...no thanks!
    Using the "15 year" rule, I guess everyone has had ample opportunity to see the Pirate of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion, so let's rip those out as well!
    You are kidding of course, but I offer as ludicrous a proposal to you, in answering yours: we abolish this non-existent "15 year rule", and never change anything! Fantasy Princess Faire forever! Oh what a bright future we'll have!!

A nighttime show there has become as much a part of the Disneyland experience as parades and fireworks. Might as well get used to it.
    People never thought an end would come to the Main Street Electrical Parade at Disneyland, yet here we are. Whether or not F! is replaced, cancelled, or just drags on, some people prefer to ride the Mark Twain on a summer night rather than watch the river burn and the prancing about of Day-Glo Monkeys (although, as I say this, I can certainly see the appeal of massive conflagration accompanied by water-borne psychadelic monkeys).

we will soon be getting a similar nighttime spectacular in California Adventure called "The Wonderful World of Color." Better head over there now before it opens, while you can still hear crickets chirping at night
    I can't see how The Wonderful World of Color either violates Frontierland theme, congests DL thoroughfares thrice nightly, or prevents the Mark Twain from sailing, but...ok.
    Last edited by fo'c's'le swab; 07-10-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast