Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

PHOTO UPDATE 7/10: Good-bye Graffiti!, Disney Gallery, Toy Story Mania!, +MORE!

It's been about a month's time since my last photo update! Wow. Well, here goes

DREAMS FINALLY COME TRUE:
    GOOD-BYE GRAFFITI!

All of the tacky Where Dreams Come True stuff is finally coming down. Hopefeully the tagline will be completely dropped as well and Disneyland can finally be The Happiest Place On Earth again.

New banners at the Lion King tram stop actually advertise the Year of a Million Dreams, not Where Dreams Come True

The banners in the esplanade are still of the leaf-shaped, pastel-colored Where Dreams Come True variety, though.

The CALIFORNIA letters got a dreamy cloud makeover. Really, what's the point? They're just going to be turned into giant candy corn for Halloween Time in a month and a half anyway.

Pointless:

Inside Disneyland, the outer lobby no longer has the tacky pastel graffiti littering the Floral Mickey or the entry tunnels! WOO HOO!:

Dream Graffiti: Good riddance!

Holes from the graffiti seem to have been quickly patched (some were still open...)

The gas lamp posts along Main Steet USA no longer have the Where Dreams Come True signage or the swirly character silhouette adornments:

SHATTERED DREAMS:
    GOOD-BYE DISNEY GALLERY

Gallery hosts and hostesses seem to be pretty open with the fact that the Gallery is closing. One host told me that while Disney has said they will be relocating the Gallery, there is no word as to where it would go. Maybe it was my imagination, but he seemed pretty upset when we were talking about the closure. Gallery CMs seem to stick around for a while, and genuinely enjoy sharing the history of the Royal Suite and information about the artwork on display. It's sad to think that they'll probably just be relocated downstairs to Pieces of Eight or Le Bat En Rouge.

Anyway, prep work for the elevator is taking place outside:

...And a look around the Gallery, which by the way, is celebrating its 20th Anniversary today, July 11, 2007. Coincidentally, it will only get to be 20 for 20 days before it closes its doors on July 31.

A brief history on the Royal Suite:

The recently condensed Formal Dining Room:

The original entry hallway:

The balcony:

The Royal Suite's central courtyard -

Walt's simple luxuries: outdoor air conditioning:

You can click on these images to be taken to their flickr page where you can download higher-resolution versions.

R.I.P 1987-2007

TOY STORY MANIA!
    I still prefer the original name, Midway Mania. But whatever.

The construction walls need to be fixed. They look tacky, but I guess much of the Pier already does anyway...

This weird window thing is at the far end of the walls near the Midway Games... you can't see anything through it as its covered up, but why is it there?

It isn't as though the window is going to be a sneak peek window into the construction to garner excitement for the new attraction... because, well, the view would be a support pylon for Screamin':

Some Midway games are still open... one of them that is still accessible to guests is closed, and there are three behind walls that are being gutted.

Construction view from the Sun Wheel:

And back behind King Triton's Carousel - in Paradise Pier's bathroom row, some new paint has gone up and a new advertisemennt for bath tissue:

THIS & THAT
    Back in Disneyland, the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage merch cart in front of Innoventions now sells only Jedi Training Academy and Star Wars merch. Are souvenir sales for Nemo sinking?

And we headed home after enjoying a Tomorrowland sunset:

...Alright. That's it for this update. Hope you enjoyed
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 07-11-2007 at 01:21 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 7/10: Good-bye Graffiti!, Disney Gallery, Toy Story Mania!, +MORE!

Aww, all the lovely Gallery pictures made me sad I hope whoever stays in the Royal Suite feels really guilty about the expense to which their stay will be. I'll miss being able to view all of New Orleans and Tom Sawyer Island from there, not to mention the feeling of privacy and exclusivity when you are up there, and of course the lovely artwork on display.

On the other hand, I can't tell you how happy I am to see the main entrance to Disneyland de-graffiti'd! But this only begs the question: what kind of cloudy, dreamy, wispy decor will take its place?

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 7/10: Good-bye Graffiti!, Disney Gallery, Toy Story Mania!, +MORE!

This was a very nice update. Thank you for the beautiful photos of the gallery and some stunning sunset shots of Tomorrowland.

• Banned User

Great news that the Where Dreams Come True crap inside the park is gone. Shame about the Disney Gallery though.

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

Thumbs down Re: PHOTO UPDATE 7/10: Good-bye Graffiti!, Disney Gallery, Toy Story Mania!, +MORE!

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Aww, all the lovely Gallery pictures made me sad I hope whoever stays in the Royal Suite feels really guilty about the expense to which their stay will be.
    Uh...yeah.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post

Beautiful ... just beautiful

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Excellent pictures! Thanks!! I can't believe they're going to "relocate" the gallery. It's not like it's an unpopular place that doesn't make any money. Rediculous.

• Beer is good beer.

Great update and photos!

Yay for the graffiti removal and boo to the Gallery closure. Thanks for the pics of the Gallery.
    M A S E C A !

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

MasterGracey I could never get tired of looking at your great pictures. Thanks for all the pictures of the gallery.

• Steamboat Willie

What I really want to know is if the fake swans have vacated the castle moat yet. Does anyone know?

• Directly directed

I like the cloud overlay of the California letters. It makes it more interesting. And I think it's awful about the Gallery so thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures of it!

• I Love Disneyland!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turp View Post
    What I really want to know is if the fake swans have vacated the castle moat yet. Does anyone know?
    NOPE, not yet! We specifically went to see yesterday. I can't believe MasterGracey left that out! haha (slacking due to a highly emotional day at the Disney Gallery)

Awesome update as usual MG!!!!!!!!
    I'm addicted and I don't care!!!

• Don't mess with the duck!

Yes, the graffiti is gone! So sad about the gallery and even more bummed that I won't be able to make a visit again before it closes down. Sigh. At least I can enjoy your photos.

Fantastic pics, once again, and that sunset is awesome!

• World Traveler

Wonderful pictures and report. Thank you.

• hatbox ghost believer

Fabulous piccies. Thanks for sharing. A moment of silence for the always fabulous & "will-be" eternally missed Disney Gallery...
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast