Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Are all good neighor hotels trustworthy.

I will be going to DLR on a budget so the cheaper a hotel the better as long as it is clean and well maintained.
    I noticed Motel 6 Anaheim Main Gate listed as a good neighbor hotel on disneyland.com. Motel 6s don't have the best reputation, but is this one of the nice ones?
    Thanks

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Are all good neighor hotels trustworthy.

The Good Neighbor Hotel label means nothing. Some of them are nice, others are quite bad. Good luck.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

I don't think the Good Neighbor Hotel program is really tied into hotel quality per se. I think it's more of a Marketing tie-in venture. You sell our tickets, have the display in your lobby, little ad cards/tents on the tables in the rooms, put our logo on your web site, do this and that...and you can be a Good Neighbor Hotel kinda thing. What you do with the linen is your business.

Speaking of Motel 6 though...I practically live in hotels (and do business professionally within the hotel industry). And while I usually stick to medium and upper priced chains like Starwood and Hilton...I do spend a fair amount of time literally "on the road" and stay at many Motel 6's. About 5 to 10 years ago I would agree with you that many Motel 6's were getting pretty run down and several where downright scary. But since Europe's Accor Hotel Group purchased them many years ago...there has been sweeping improvement and quality standardizations chain-wide which are quite noticeable. The new management really seems to crack-the-whip with their property managers and franchisees, to maintain the basics and ship-shape properties (hookers and drug dealers and other problem guests no longer welcomed or tolerated).

I'm not saying they are luxury or even medium digs at all! They are a low-end brand in every sense of the word. But I've found they are now mostly all very clean and identical, even if they are spartan with the cinder-block walls and such. When I'm out driving from city to city...I have no problem anymore pulling over into a Motel 6. I know exactly what I'm going to get and there are no surprises. Heck...once you're in the room...I mean...they almost all really do look alike!! Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, and can't remember what city I'm in!!!! I think to myself, "Wait a minute! This is the same room I stayed in last night...but I'm 400 miles away! How can that be?"

Not having stayed there, I have no idea how the Anaheim one is compared to today's "standard" Motel 6. But I would opinion the chain's overall previous suspect reputation has dramatically changed for the better over the last several years.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Hell no. Some of them spray perfume on dirty sheets in order to try to make people think that they have been washed.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Missing my AP

We stay at that Motel6 all the time. Its not your typical Motel6, morelike a BestWestrn but without the in-room stuff like coffee makers, fridge etc. We have stayed at many of the other good neihbor properrties too. We usually fall back to this Motel6 though. No hotel is without some issue but the good neihgbors are pretty safe.
    "...It's dead wore out I be...a might too fast these light footed wenches be, for the likes of an old swagbellied pirate such as I..."

"*click-click-click-click-click-click-click.......sploosh!!*"(Sir Didymus)

• Minion

This Motel 6 was Red Roof Inn until Jan or Feb of this year. I haven't stayed there, but have heard positive reports.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

I've stayed at many of the motels in the area, including the motel 6 you speak of. I stayed there almost exclusively when it was a red roof inn. I have stayed once since it converted to motel 6, mainly because I had 2 free nights from red roof so I stayed at the red roof by knots to use them and that area is kinda getto and last trip my GF wanted to try somewhere else so we stayed at a Days Inn on Ball rd that was basicly right outside the entrance to the parking garage. I think for the price you really cant go wrong with this motel 6, usually less than $70.00 a night depending on time of year, I have booked rooms for as low as $56.00 per night. The rooms are pretty large, we have had 2 queens and put out a queen sized air mattress also and we could still walk around. Rooms are clean and cleaned daily and I have never felt like the maids were going through my things like I have at another place in the area. There is also ample parking, though if you stay at the parks late you might not get close to your room. The only beef I have had is when it was red roof I was always able to check in early and once it went to motel 6 they would not let me check in until after 3 (3 is check in time but I often arrive early and go to DL for the day). there are usually security guards patroling the parking lot at night, that just goes with the area. Staff all seem pretty friendly and helpful.

There really are no amenities, coffee in the lobby and vending machines, you can get fridge and microwave for about another $10.00 per night. I have an AP so I park in Mickey and friends and dont use the shuttle and getting to and from the motel is easy. Its right off I-5 so when you exit you are looking at the motel, to get to the parks exit the back of th parking lot and turn right on Katella which is the only way you can go, take Katella to Disneyland Drive and turn right then take DL dr to Ball rd and make a U turn at the light and you are entering the parking garage. To get back when you exit the PGing garage just hit the 5 south and get off at W Disney way.

We tried the Day Inn mainly because it came with fridge and Mwave and cont breakfast, we never used the Mwave but do use the fridge and the breakfast started at 7 and we leave before 7 so we never got a chance to try it. It was about $30.00 a night more and I dont think its worth it so unless my GF says different I will go back to the motel 6 again, no need to spend extra on things you are not going to use. It should be noted that the Motel 6 on W Disney way is NOT within walking distance of the parks, you would need to use the cities transportation system or drive. Last I checked the cities shuttles were $2.50 per day and I believe Mickey & Friends is $11.00 per day ( I have parking on my AP) so if you have 3 or 4 people I would just pay to park, then you are not at the mercy of the city. Also, there really are no places to eat within walking distance of this motel 6 except a 7-11 and I dont recomend the 7-11 after dark, its on Katella away from all the resort area.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I will try to answer them.
    Steve

• A Pirate's life for me!

Wherever you stay, avoid the Castle Inn like the plague.

They give the meaning to the phrase "roach-motel".

Disgustingly filthy, not enough parking and staff that doesn't give a darn (except for collecting your money).

You've been warned!

• Minion

All the good neighbor means is they have agreed to allow to discount and allow WDTC to sell a number of rooms for them and to have Disney advertising and tickets in their hotel. It has nothing to do with quality.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Senior Minion

I stayed at the Jolly Roger Inn last month and found it to be ok for the price, my room was larger then expected too. The only thing was that I had to use a chair in the room to turn on the A/C, other then that for a place to sleep after having fun at the park it wasn't bad.

They don't offer internet services, but for a small charge you can use the resort area wireless. There is no fridge or micro in the room, and I'm not sure if they would offer this.

I stayed in room 200 and found it convenient as I walked into the lobby, went up the stairs and my room was right out the door leading to the rest of the rooms.

• Disneyland Bound

I just booked a travel package through Disneyland Travel for the Anaheim Marriott Fairfield Inn. I read through hundreds of customer reports on all of the good neighbor hotels and though the Fairfield had some of the best recent reports. Their rooms are a bit pricier than some of the other good neighbor hotels (around $130 a night). But the rooms have two queen beds with braggable pillowtopped mattresses and numerous feather pillows, a chair that folds out into a bed (we have two adults and 3 kids in our party so this was a bonus) and Disney pictures on the wall. The hotel is also literally 5-10 minutes from Disney's front gates, a closer walk than if you stayed on property. There is no free breakfast, but from what I've read about the other hotels that offer one, it's no great loss. There is a convenience store/pizza hut in the hotel, and a McDonalds and Millie's restaurant in the parkinglot. There is also a tiny game room for the kids and a heated outdoor pool. The room also has a fridge, but no microwave. Many of the rooms overlook DCA and you can also get a great view of the fireworks from the balconies. Because it's a good neighbor package, we were able to get the discounted 3 day parkhopper souvenir pass and souvenir package/ lanyard and pin, early entrance, character call, Toontown Madness, etc.

After Halloween I can let you know my own opinion. Right now it's just based on research of other people's stays (and their pictures of the room).

• Disneyland Bound

Oh, and they also have 4th night free this fall, which we took advantage of!

• For You!

You'll like the Fairfield - I'll pick Marriott properties on my of my trips if they're available.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    Wherever you stay, avoid the Castle Inn like the plague.

They give the meaning to the phrase "roach-motel".

Disgustingly filthy, not enough parking and staff that doesn't give a darn (except for collecting your money).

You've been warned!

Actually you put it very mildly and was being kind. Take what PirateMickey says and UP the digusting factor about 1,000 more points!! The place is absolutely disgusting!!!! (And I used to stay there all the time about 20 years ago)..
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

You'll be VERY pleased with the Fairfield Inn...especially if you get one of the rooms viewing the park -- fireworks spectacular! I have booked my brother and his wife in this hotel no less than 3 yrs running and have never been disappointed. The rooms are conveniently located, spacious, clean, bright and nicely appointed. I paid an average of $119/nt before taxes/surcharges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast