Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Don't mess with the duck!

Re: Do You Go to Disneyland to Turn-Off or Turn-On Your Brain?

My brain goes into overdrive when entering Disnelyand. I make room in my noggin by not trying not to think much about the outside world while I'm there. My focus is on immersing myself, and my family, in all that is Disney goodness. Mind you, that does not mean that I forget my manners or common sense.

• I love my family!

I have always told everyone that DL is my escape, my place where I can just be. Not have to worry, not have to stress and have no reason rush.

Disneyland is my peace and quiet it's my safe zone. I can just go and walk around, grab a bite to eat, take on a few rides or just take a seat and relax.

It's my Happyplace

• Minion

Turn on my brain, and let my imagination run wild in it's ultimate playground (Disneyland).

• okeydokey

It depends on how the week treated me.
    If it was stressful, my brain shuts off and I keep my mind open to all the fun & pretty atmosphere and feelings around me. My place to recharge.
    If it's to hang out with friends, then my brain is on overdrive. What do they want to do. Will we be able to make it to thisorthat. They need to be back home at this time.
    Not everyone can go as much as I do, so I'll think for them.
    Yay, betrothal!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I go to Disneyland to be educated, mentally and artistically challenged, and entertained. I go to study the architecture; learn a little about landscaping, examine ancient technology. Going merely for "the rides" is the least of my interest, and often, when I had my AP, I wouldn't ride anything.

While escape from the "real" world is part of the enjoyment, that "escape" is accomplished when I do the above; when I explore the deeper meaning in the Park, when I learn a little more about theme and story telling and archetypes. When I study the detailing that most pass right by.

Disneyland is such a rich canvas that I really do feel bad for the folks that have no interest in the Park, other than to get FastPasses to be able to get on as many E tickets as possible. Those folks may find that Knott's or Magic Mountain is more enjoyable.
    Same, or at least I try to now. Recently when I still had a girlfriend, she'd want to go on all the rides and I didn't want to leave her, but I still wanted to go run around and see all the details. This of course created chaos between us. I wanted to go and see the things that I've read in books or about online, she had no interest in them. The history, the magic, the technology! I wanted to go and see the hidden Mickeys in places like the mansion and see all those little tributes most people think are just made up names. I have pictures of just those little details that make a day at Disneyland magical... or at least magical to me.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

i turn my brain off and just enjoy the park
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Iron-Clad Allie

Escapism @ Disneyland is all about turning on my braint by immersing it in magical fantasy. Turning off my brain has nothing todo with it - unless, perhaps, one is a grim grinning ghost.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Definately turn the brain on.

I try to soak everything in from the rides to the smells to my company. I so crave info about Disneyland when I'm there, I've been known to occasionally "tag along" with tours. Free info is alright by me!

Chad

• Resident Duck

What brain?

Disneyland does serve as an inspiration. Particularly all the art, and the behind-the-scenes books about the whole imagineering process for both the theme park and the movies.

Disney has ruined my love life

• Minion

Blog Entries

i go to reboot my brain

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I go to Disneyland to be educated, mentally and artistically challenged, and entertained. I go to study the architecture; learn a little about landscaping, examine ancient technology. Going merely for "the rides" is the least of my interest, and often, when I had my AP, I wouldn't ride anything.

While escape from the "real" world is part of the enjoyment, that "escape" is accomplished when I do the above; when I explore the deeper meaning in the Park, when I learn a little more about theme and story telling and archetypes. When I study the detailing that most pass right by.

Disneyland is such a rich canvas that I really do feel bad for the folks that have no interest in the Park, other than to get FastPasses to be able to get on as many E tickets as possible. Those folks may find that Knott's or Magic Mountain is more enjoyable.
    The first part of your post was excellent. However, to assume that just because some people come primarily for the attractions that they would enjoy Magic Mountain or Knott's more is absurd. I love roller coasters. That said, I would rather come to Disneyland and ride their attractions and spend more money than to head over to Knott's or SFMM most of the time. Some of these people are no less fans of Disneyland than you. What makes Disneyland special is that it offers something for all types of people. You can be ride intensive, or you can appreciate the theming and the architecture, background music, etc.

I have been both in the position of an AP holder at Disneyland and WDW and going quite frequently, and in living where I go more infrequently. So there have been times where I've gone to the parks and not been on many rides. But for somebody who rarely gets to the parks, of course they're going to want to ride as many rides as they can. I don't think they need you to feel sorry for them.

And quite honestly, reading the posts from people who go to both DLR and WDW frequently and have nothing better to do than criticize and complain, and comparing those posts to trip reports from people who go and ride as many things as they can, it appears to me that those ride-intensive people might be having a better Disneyland experience than the more frequent guests.

My point is that everybody enjoys Disneyland in a different way. And just because you enjoy it differently than somebody else doesn't mean that they need your pity.

• Say no to Assimilation

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Cactus View Post
    The first part of your post was excellent. However, to assume that just because some people come primarily for the attractions that they would enjoy Magic Mountain or Knott's more is absurd. I love roller coasters. That said, I would rather come to Disneyland and ride their attractions and spend more money than to head over to Knott's or SFMM most of the time. Some of these people are no less fans of Disneyland than you. What makes Disneyland special is that it offers something for all types of people. You can be ride intensive, or you can appreciate the theming and the architecture, background music, etc.

I have been both in the position of an AP holder at Disneyland and WDW and going quite frequently, and in living where I go more infrequently. So there have been times where I've gone to the parks and not been on many rides. But for somebody who rarely gets to the parks, of course they're going to want to ride as many rides as they can. I don't think they need you to feel sorry for them.

And quite honestly, reading the posts from people who go to both DLR and WDW frequently and have nothing better to do than criticize and complain, and comparing those posts to trip reports from people who go and ride as many things as they can, it appears to me that those ride-intensive people might be having a better Disneyland experience than the more frequent guests.

My point is that everybody enjoys Disneyland in a different way. And just because you enjoy it differently than somebody else doesn't mean that they need your pity.
    Great Points!
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Let's get dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Cactus View Post

VERY well said! The negative attitudes around here really bring me down, since it's not what Disneyland is about. I get to go semi-regularly in my own opinion (once or twice a year? I'm not a SoCal local, but the drive is worth it.), and I don't look around for all the things to criticize - yes, I miss some old attractions from my childhood, but Disneyland's been beyond my expectations every year that I've been there.

As for the topic? It depends. I KNOW my brain turns on a ton when I'm there, because I'm usually spouting information from hiddenmickeys.org to my brother while we're standing in line. Poor guy. But I turn my brain off from most worries while I'm there. It's a laughin' place for me, if you will.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123