• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

A couple of recent comments provide hope that DCA will be fixed

First, from Blue Sky Disney...

"How Much does Pooh Cost" had this comment at the end of the article...

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/

Now does this mean we hear in America are continually getting the shaft? Not really. It just highlights the difference in management a decade ago compared with the relatively new management under Uncle John. Under the guidance of Pressler during the late 90's there was a mentality of not only controlling budgets, but controlling the creativity. The Oriental Land Company has always paid top dollar for it's attractions and remember that they are THEIR attractions. Disney doesn't own the parks or land there. They simply get a percentage of the parks revenue and merchandising sales. The Imagineers at WDI were allowed, even encouraged to go all out on TDR rides since it wasn't paying for them and Eisner could have them charge extremely high fees. The great thing that this did for the Imagineers is that it presented a great laboratory for developing technologies for future rides whereby OLC payed for the research.

The good news now is that under Uncle John's leadership, WDI is now embarking on the process of taking this research that OLC paid for and applying it to the new rides that will be coming stateside over the next decade. WDW and DL will get several examples of this although DCA will get the lion's share of these attractions. With the reorganization of WDI almost settled it appears that the days of modest, little rides with very little attention to detail has ended. The new rides that are being proposed are not in the $30 million dollar range. There are several "C" and "D" tickets within this price structure, but most of the "E" tickets that have been proposed are much closer in scope to OLC's attractions... in both theming and design. It looks like Lasseter's first statement made in Glendale wasn't just hollow words:

"We won't be designing anymore mediocre rides..."
    And then from the Disney Blog

http://www.thedisneyblog.com/tdb/2007/07/parks-and-resor.html

I'm hearing some interesting rumors coming from the Parks and Resorts division.

Seems the Walt Disney Company board had its big meeting about what direction it wants to take with the theme parks (primarily Hong Kong Disneyland and Disneyland's failed second gate). No news has leaked from the meeting yet, but big money will be spent to fix the mistakes of the past. Details should begin to emerge shortly.
    Here is hoping the Details come out soon....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: A couple of recent comments provide hope that DCA will be fixed

Good for DCA, good for us, and good for them!!

• Fight On for ol' SC!

At WDI there are two main projects: Hong Kong and DCA. Not much else is going on, or so I have been told. And from what I was told there is some disagreeing going on about the projects, but no specifics.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

*crosses fingers*

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    At WDI there are two main projects: Hong Kong and DCA. Not much else is going on, or so I have been told. And from what I was told there is some disagreeing going on about the projects, but no specifics.

Even with disagreement, it brings joy to my heart just to know that they're talking. Thanks, Dark Beer, for the links! I can't wait to see what's in store for us and the rest of the Disney theme parks. But... mainly us.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MA Reader Since 2003

God Bless Uncle John!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Minion

Tremors that will be felt all the way through the Anaheim Resort. "The Happiest Place On Earth" will be even happier...

Well it appears Al was right about the high end of the proposals. Well over a billion for the "high-end" proposal. Almost a billion and a quarter for the top price for this expansion or reboot as some are calling it.

Most likely, it appears that Iger will give a lot of weight to Lasseter's arguments for addressing the flaws of the park. Maybe not all his arguments, but most of them. We probably won't see the high-end, but far more than anyone expected will be allocated to DCA. Much, much more.

And you know what the great news is? I'm just talking about DCA... this has nothing to do with the lovely, new hotels that will be added or any attraction that is currently being built. This budget has NOTHING to do with any of those. All this money will be directed towards totally new attractions and theming. And that's a lot of theming my friends. Amazingly cool theming...

The proposed plans for the park are much more than I could ever have imagined. The designs for Paradise Pier will simply turn that area into a gorgeous detailed Disney theme that draws on the best parts of the past. This will be "the" area to go to in this park. The early "Mictorian" feel of Del Coronado or the Grand Floridian will give you the essence of what to expect. The designs I've seen remind me of the artwork Dan Goozee created for the Plaza Inn section of Disneyland Paris. This will also be the first section done when the "Wonderful World Of Color" water show premieres in 2009.

That's not to say that the rest of DCA won't be getting the layered treatment. Almost everything will get some form of "plussing". And this new plan will not end when DCA celebrates its 10th anniversary. This is a decade long plan. A very well thought out plan. One that includes an incredibly different entrance. One that evokes old Los Angeles, lots of lush trees and greenery. Bye, bye plaza... hello Hollywood! Like walking back into the world Walt encountered during his early years in LA. One might expect to find Clark Gable or the Marx Brothers walking around in front of you. It brings up that kinda feel. Main Street USA will finally have some competition across the Esplanade.

I can truly say that if Lasseter's vision gets approved, and there's a very good chance it will, DCA will be one of the most lavish Disney resorts... transformed from an ugly duckling to a beautiful swan within the next decade. These plans are big and bold. There's talk of expanding the park to where it can handle almost as much as the current Disneyland's capacity. There are many in WDI that are on pins and needles just waiting for the approval of these designs so they can get to work on turning this park into a Disney jewel.

Those of you that have been impatient for news should be rewarded very soon. There should be announcements as to the focus of the resorts made public within the next few weeks. That's right... unless Disney gets cold feet about making it public... the news should be going out over the airwaves by end of summer at the latest.

Now as for the rest of the resort. Those stunningly beautiful hotels and that expansion of Downtown Disney? Well that will have to come in an update sometime in late July.

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html

• Minion

sorry i didnt quote it but its from the same site as darkbeer

• Minion

The metamorphosis of Paradise Pier and the Route 66/Bay Area into a detailed, lavish throwback to turn of the century boardwalks will be finished in 2009. Just in time to provide a idealized atmosphere for Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color show. The entensive retrofitting of Paradise Bay should take about six months, so the walls that go up in January 2008 should be down by summer. Some test will have to be done, but most of that will happen in the off hours after all the guest have gone home. The Jellyfish are currently planned to go the way of the Do Do Bird... removal, for those that have no clue as to what I'm talking about. That area is prime real estate for viewing of the new water show.

The retheming of Screamin' is working it's way through the approval process and there are a couple proposals competing for a "yes" vote. Although Al over at Miceage talked about a "Villains" theme being proposed, it is highly unlikely this will be approved as a new theme for the roller coaster. The logistics of creating an immersive show/scenes with Villains would be very difficult to pull off without the support of being done in an enclosed building, aka: a dark ride. If they decide to do a Villains theme it probably would be applied to the "classic" roller coaster being designed for an enclosed building where MM currently sits. Although the final word has yet to come down, the chances of it being a Villain theme over something else is dimishing with each passing day. No one will know what the final design is until the final budget is approved. The "carnie" games section of the Paradise Pier area will be behind walls next month as they're exteriors are redone to match the new ride. Only about four or five will return. There simply won't be room enough for all seven in the final design of the building

It is likely that after TSMM opens one of two new placemaking projects will get going. The most likely candidate is the Condor Flats area where the current plans are for the area to be rethemed to an mid 20th century airfield in the California mountains. This retheming should be done by the time the new night show opens as well. If not, it shouldn't be more than a couple months later. The other place making project is being decided on as we speak.

The proposal for adding wilderness scenes in the Golden State area is progressing further along in the design phase but nothing has been approved. Everything is being done piecemeal and the projects as a whole may not be approved. Rather, it will go forward in rolling phases. The plan for a train ride around the area does not appear at this time to be going anywhere.

Oh, and as for Carland... most people are confusing what they mean by that. It's not just a movie related land. As it stands now the area will be turned into an area focusing on the California cultural love of automobiles. You know, CAR-LAND? The proposal right now is to theme the land to the 50's to 60's with the Cars ride being the only area of the land that reflects the movie. The Cars movie ride will be an "E" ticket and several "C" and at least one "D" ticket ride in the area. The name has not been settled on yet and could be changed from Carland to Route 66 or something entirely different. Well, that's all I can delve into at the moment. Hope you enjoyed it.

Stay tuned for more updates near the end of May/early June...

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html

• MA Reader Since 2003

Freakin awesome!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Minion

That blog posting "How much does Pooh cost" has me very very excited.

• Digging to Earth's center

Yay, DCA's gonna look good not long from now!! Finally Disneyland has some competition!