• Sock Puppet

the unhappiest place on earth sometimes

I find it interesting how some people can get in the foulest mood when at Disneyland. The sources seem to be one of two things : other rude guest, bratty kids.

I went to the park about 3 weeks ago and found a pretty good spot in the plaze to watch the fireworks. But before the fireworks I got to watch several heated exchanges between guest. Some people pushing their way in at the last second and standing in front of people who had waited a long time for a prime spot. Pushing. Kids being lifted up onto shoulders and blocking views. I really can't believe blows were not exchanged. While over at Fantasmic a family of 6 that didn't speak a word of English shoved all their kids in front of a group of people who had been waiting for the show for some time. Normally this would be no big deal because adults can see over kids but these kids where climbing all over the railing and pushed their way back and forth from the front to their parents in the back, climbing over people and kocking over drinks. Of course the dumb parents just stood there and didn't do anything about it. I looked at the father with a "are you doing to do something about these brats". He just looked at me like a deer in headlights.

Then of course there are the tired, grumping people who have walk around the park all day in the sun and are exhausted. Kids are tired and start crying. Nothing makes them happy. They want candy or a ballon but mom or dad don't want to wait in line or spend the money. Kids are so tired they can hardly walk but the second mom or dad say it is time to go home they freak out. These are also the people that walk 8 side by side, strolling as slow as they can, blocking the walk way while talking on a cell phone. Meanwhile there is a crowd of people stuck behind them getting madder by the second.

Although I am very impressed with everything Disneyland has done so far for the 50th, I hate going in the summer and don't care if my pass it blacked out. It has nothing to do with the park, it is the people that go there.

Justin

• Videographer

Human nature comes out from time to time. But if you look at it as a percentage of overall guests it really isn't that bad.

But there are some that look like this

Heat, crowds, over stimulation - all add up to some interesting explosions.

RU

Be sure to visit my site!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SanSooJustin
    I find it interesting how some people can get in the foulest mood when at Disneyland.
    When I started posting here I had the tag line... I am not grumpy I am just drawn that way...

My resting face looks like a pensive brooding scowl... It is true...

Now that I released this info... I am really tired of teenagers coming up telling me to smile because I am in the Happiest place on Earth... And being "SNOTTY" about it...

Well, I am a curmudeon... and I am proud of it... So if it is the grumpiest place on earth, that is fine... I would rather the place be grumpy than dopey...

Grumps need happiness too...
    Check out my other blog:

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by SanSooJustin
    Some people pushing their way in at the last second and standing in front of people who had waited a long time for a prime spot. Pushing.
    Yeah I hate that. I hear where you are coming from. I used to hate telling people they just stood in front of me for Spectromagic (it always felt rude...exceptthat's what they do) but I guess years of practice have made me not mind it when I have to say "well the stroller fits under the ropes, but you don't. I'm not watching your kid and if you sit there the float will run you over."

But I think it's true it's for the most part a minority of visitors.

• That Guy

That does suck. I just try and focus on what I can, and let the rest go. In other words, I worry about what I can change, and the rest has to slide. Otherwise you will go crazy. I am taking a trip to DLR and as bad as I wanna go now, I am going to wait till Sep. when it slows down, for peace of mind.

Disneyland is great for the memories and such, but I agree, while I'm there I hate the lines, hate the heat, hate people who step in my way, hate when they close rides, hate missing my hotel bus, hate the prices, hate leaving.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Besides Las Vegas, the DLR is the next best place to see couples fighting...

• Rainicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    Besides Las Vegas, the DLR is the next best place to see couples fighting...
    Totally guilty of this.

Anyway, yeah. Sometimes people get wrapped up in thinking everyone SHOULD have a good time and worrying about it that they end up having a terrible time. And in the meantime, everyone with them has a terrible time to.

Go with the flow, people!
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Yeah, and everybody quit crying - unless Turtle Talk is broken (like today) and Crush won't talk to you!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

That is the joy of an AP. If you miss something... no sweat. You'll see it next time. Just float around the park and enjoy what you can... and the fact that you're at Disneyland!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

I totally sympathize with you SanSooJustin.

The number one reason that guestís moods go so sour is because they try so hard to make their trip worth every penny that they forget the most valuable part of your trip should be the spontaneous smiles.

Parents expect too much from their children sometimes. How much fun do you honestly think a young child will have at Disneyland in the middle of summer with the heat and merciless sun, large park attendance, long waits for food and rides, crowded stores and grumpy attitudes about? Of course they will react to these things in a negative way, especially when at the park for hours upon end. Iíve seen parents try to squeeze every ounce out of their children that they can get. Then when the child reacts they blame the park and proclaim that Disneyland is the worst, etc.

Parents, your children can only give so much under such circumstances. If you cannot avoid planning a summer trip to Disneyland, then try to visit the park with your childrenís priorities first, not your own agenda. Taking frequent breaks and even a planned nap are good choices for making the most of your day, not how many rides you can get on. Sure, people will say that itís the rides that make the experience. But, I see it differently. Itís about sharing time together, period. Itís about creating a foundation of fond memories with your children that you can reflect and grow on over the years. Their smiles and laughter, thatís the purpose of Disneyland.

As for the viewing of fireworks and shows, I donít think it is wise for parents to go into the ďLions denĒ so to speak. We all know the Hub area is a disaster for the fireworks. Why take a child into that mess? Itís common sense to me. If I know a show is centered in a particular area, I am going to avoid that with small kids. It can be overwhelming to a child and parents to have to be in the middle of that. I suggest watching the fireworks from the Main Street Train Station or in front of the Flag on Main Street. That way you are in the ďLions denĒ and the exits are right there. You can easily exit the park without any stress to yourself or your children. Mission accomplished!

• Lord of the Ribs

Ah, summer. The time at the park when tempers rise with the temperature. I truly feel for the CMs this year.

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

• Hooterville, USA

A lot of parents forget about their kids when they come to the park. I understand why kids get grumpy, but I see so many adults that way too! When my kids were small, our goal was to have the most fun as a family. We did. But we also knew that a 3 year old needed a nap during the day. And when the kids got tired, we left. You aren't doing them a favor by dragging them around, and you'll end up annoying a bunch of people too! Sounds like I'm going off on parents, but I'm not.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• My cuties!

You aren't doing them a favor
    or yourself!!

We were there in May and while I'm an open to close kind of person, I knew my almost 3 year olds couldn't handle that! I wish we could have done more but NEVER at the expense of my kids' happiness. We had a wonderful trip full of great memories because we were on their time schedule. By not doing everything, we have an excuse to go back again soon!

• Lord of the Ribs

We've always found that cutting the afternoon short and retreating to the hotel refreshes everybody, kid and parent alike. A shower, dip in the pool, a little snack and drink. Ok, sometimes more than a little drink. By the time we walk back to the park, we're like new people.

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.