Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• potterday.org

Who Wants To Be An Empty Building?

Feel free to reprehensively post the link to the previous thread this might have been discussed in, or one of Al's articles that I somehow missed, but my question is:

Does anyone know what the plan is, or the rumored plan, or the rumored idea, as to what on earth they're going to do with the Millionaire building?
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Who Wants To Be An Empty Building?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Necrosis View Post
    Feel free to reprehensively post the link to the previous thread this might have been discussed in, or one of Al's articles that I somehow missed, but my question is:

Does anyone know what the plan is, or the rumored plan, or the rumored idea, as to what on earth they're going to do with the Millionaire building?
    Last I heard it was only there for meetings and seminars. Private companies can rent it out for company functions.

No plans that I have come across.

Chad

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Don't know if there are any plans set in stone, but an interesting scenario last Sunday when I was headed for the Lion King Tram. You can see the posters for Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy on the side of the building, and I overheard a guest saying, "Oh my God. That's where they film those!"

Yet another guest-has-no-clue story. But a good idea. Why don't they use one of those "sound stages" to film an actual TV show?

• Comin' at ya!

Should they really be advertising Greys anatomy near DisneyLand?
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Why not? Grey's Anatomy is a family friendly show... it's shows how babies are made!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I mentioned this in my AbandonedLand: Finding uses for the empty and unused parts of the Disneyland Resort thread about a month ago:
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67874

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post

Who Wants to be a Millionaire - Play It!
    Stage 17 opened in September 2001 as Who Wants to be a Millionaire - Play It!. The attraction, based on the hit ABC primetime game show was a clone of an attraction that had debuted earlier that year at Disney-MGM Studios in Florida. The local crowds in Anaheim didn't really grow too fond of the attraction, and aside from a small cult following, it generally didn't garner much attendance. It was closed in 2004 and has since sat empty. When the new Monsters Inc attraction opened next door in early 2006, Stage 17 was used for a media and press reception. Online message board users reported that the sets from the Millionaire attraction had been gutted. Later, in September of 2006 Disney announced that instead of a new attraction, the building was now available to rent for corporate meetings and other private functions.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• potterday.org

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Why don't they use one of those "sound stages" to film an actual TV show?
    I doubt they could with any practicality shoot a televised network program out of those facilities - maybe a late night infomercial...

But you suggest indirectly a fun idea: why not - now I know this sounds crazy but bear with me - make an attraction that is actually thematically appropriate to the Hollywood area? Why not create a walk-through attraction that allows guests to play around in a special effects studio?

This is not an original idea - Universal Studios has had something like this for years. But wouldn't it be fun to have an area where you could run around in front of a blue screen and then take home a DVD of yourself and family running around the set of Who Framed Roger Rabbit or something?

Or kids could sit in front of a desk reading cue cards and provide a news-style narration of their family's trip to the park. I think you get the idea. We could dream up fantastic and elaborate ideas until the mice come home, it won't make much of a difference except in our imaginations.

Which counts for something I guess.
    Last edited by Zoe Necrosis; 07-12-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: clarification of meaning
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• Sock Puppet

They could use the building to house a stationary full length High School Musical show, or make it into a special effects soundstage similar to Earthquake, Backdraft, Twister. I'm not sure if it was for DCA or MGM, but I heard High School Musical was going to be put into a theatre. Aren't they either removing or enhancing Playhouse Disney?

• No marbles to begin with!

I'd like to see either a show or something to do with how movies are made put in that spot. I like the idea of a special effects sound stage.
    My campus elevator smells like burned hair and won't drop faster than the pull of gravity, no matter how much I scream.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

3 words....Stich's great escape
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Sock Puppet

They can put a clone of the Armageddon: Special Effects attraction from Walt Disney Studios Paris. I havent seen it, but it looks cool and it would probably fit in the building. It would be a nice addition to that area of the park, and give guests a look at Hollywood special effects to compete with Universal, which has a lot of special effects-based attractions. The only other movies I can think of that they can do a special effects show like on would be Reign of Fire or Pearl Harbor.
    Last edited by WDWizard; 07-12-2007 at 01:54 PM.

I thought you wanted to know if we wanted to be an empty building. No thanks. I like being human.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WDWizard View Post
    They could use the building to house a stationary full length High School Musical show
    Yes, please.

actaully they are. its for the CMs that are putting it on for part of flashback.

Studio 17 is currently being used for private parties and company events. I seriously doubt it will be used for much else because they just recently finished installing a rather extensive serving kitchen. The kitchen area takes up approximately 20% of the interior space of the building and Resort Catering has a new office right next door to Studio 17 in a backstage facility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast