Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help! How Do I Capture the Magic?

New Here, but long time lurker. First things first...I really enjoy (actually love) reading your trip reports of both DLR and WDW. I can now put faces to names! It seems like you MiceChatters are great friends and enjoy each other's company while sharing a passion for all things Disney. Wish I could meet y'all.

I hope you can help me. We visited the DLR for the first time during the 50th anniversary. Unfortunately, my family does not want to go back, but I absolutely loved DLR. I now have an upcoming business trip to LA in September, and I want to take an extra day to return to DLR.

I have read a lot about the "special magic and Walt's presence" that is felt in the DisneyLand park. Although I loved the the park to pieces, I didn't feel that "special magic", but with your help maybe I'll experience it this time around. The fact that I didn't experience the "magic" may be because I did not grow up with DisneyLand and have no sentimental memories of it, or maybe it is because I just overlooked all of Walt's "special touches" that y'all seem to refer to. Here's my question...can you direct me to all of Walt's "special touches". I only know of a few. The exterior of Small World is a "piece of art" within a theme park, and the Snow White grotto is absolutely beautiful. What else is there? I have heard that Fantasyland was rethemed after Walt's death, and ToonTown is a relatively new land, so Walt's hand is not in any of these themings.

Help me understand the history of DL and direct me to Walt's "touches". I know I will thoroughly enjoy my trip to DL, but with your help I can greatly enhance my experience.

• Minion

Re: Help! How Do I Capture the Magic?

tiki room, jungle cruise, matterhorn, pirates of the caribbean, NOS in general, the dinosaur diorama on the train, all fantasyland dark rides.

small world is amazing i love mary blair

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I think Main Street in specific reminds me the most of Walt. After all, it is based after Marceline, Missouri, where he grew up as a little boy . I think that is where Walt's touch is the most apparent.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

The Haunted Mansion was the last attraction Walt influenced.

• Choosy Moms Choose Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by MJM View Post
    New Here, but long time lurker. First things first...I really enjoy (actually love) reading your trip reports of both DLR and WDW. I can now put faces to names! It seems like you MiceChatters are great friends and enjoy each other's company while sharing a passion for all things Disney. Wish I could meet y'all.

I hope you can help me. We visited the DLR for the first time during the 50th anniversary. Unfortunately, my family does not want to go back, but I absolutely loved DLR. I now have an upcoming business trip to LA in September, and I want to take an extra day to return to DLR.

I have read a lot about the "special magic and Walt's presence" that is felt in the DisneyLand park. Although I loved the the park to pieces, I didn't feel that "special magic", but with your help maybe I'll experience it this time around. The fact that I didn't experience the "magic" may be because I did not grow up with DisneyLand and have no sentimental memories of it, or maybe it is because I just overlooked all of Walt's "special touches" that y'all seem to refer to. Here's my question...can you direct me to all of Walt's "special touches". I only know of a few. The exterior of Small World is a "piece of art" within a theme park, and the Snow White grotto is absolutely beautiful. What else is there? I have heard that Fantasyland was rethemed after Walt's death, and ToonTown is a relatively new land, so Walt's hand is not in any of these themings.

Help me understand the history of DL and direct me to Walt's "touches". I know I will thoroughly enjoy my trip to DL, but with your help I can greatly enhance my experience.
    MJM - Welcome to Micechat...I'm glad that you took the plunge and decided to post!

• Golden State of Mind

oh please skip the tiki room
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• That Guy

First, you need to collect the tears of a Gypsy.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    First, you need to collect the tears of a Gypsy.
    that was my first thought to..... but you must seek the sword in the stone.... !

yes you have to see and experiance main st. i dont know if walt had a hand in these but in the little cafe on the right hand side next door to disneyana there are telephones, old time telephones that you cna pick up and hear people talking, also go on jungle cruise, pirates, the mark twain, take a trip around the park on the steam trains maybe if you lucky enough you can get to ride in the lilly belle. also check out, i think its called the court of angels in new orleans square, its very small but filled with great detail. its behind the jack skelenton store.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Master Gracie View Post
    oh please skip the tiki room
    No, don't! The Enchanted Tiki Room was the world's introduction to Audio-Animatronics. Walt was very much involved in it. It's corny but also fun.

They still offer the A Walk In Walt's Footsteps guided tour, so you might want to check that out. That might help you capture the magic!

• Golden State of Mind

alright alright go on the tiki room, but be prepared to lose you re mind
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• "I Break Things"

Your best bet is a combination of the 50th lobby (skip the show but the lobby has a lot of the original concepts/artwork, and the Disney Gallery. After viewing the various concepts you can begin to appreciate the influence Walt had on his park.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Welcome to MiceChat!

I know you'll only have a day to spend in the park, but since you're interested in knowing Walt's influence on the park I'd suggest looking into taking the guided tour called "A Walk in Walt's Footsteps."

The tour starts early in the morning and ends very early in the afternooon. On it you will learn many things about the history of the park and why it was so special to Walt as they take you around pointing out details and even riding a couple of attractions that Walt had a hand in.

Whatever you do, enjoy your return to Disneyland!

Talking Re: Help! How Do I Capture the Magic?

I agree that taking the time to go on the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour would show you a side of Disneyland that few take the time to see.

Take a few minutes and listen to the voices coming from the second story of Main Street. The piano lessons taking place upstairs near the lockers crack me up every time! Smells that are piped in at various places in the park.

Just get there early, don't try and get everything done, and take it in at your own pace. My family doesn't understand my Disney addiction, but they humor me.

Have a great time!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Uncle Walt is probably most present on Main Street, but you can find "the magic" all over the park. Here are a few suggestions:

Places to find Uncle Walt:

1. Take a moment to stand in front of the Main Street Fire Station and look at the second floor window with the hurricane lamp. This was Walt's personal apartment and the lamp was lit when he was in the park. Since his death in 1966, the lamp has been lit continuously.

2. Ride the firetruck. This was Walt's personal toy that he often drove around the park on early morning inspections.

3. Watch "50 Magical Years" at the Opera House.

4. If the E.P. Ripley is running on the Disneyland Rail Road, politely ask a CM for a "tender ride." If you're lucky, you will get to ride on the "tender" (coal car) right up front with the locomotive crew. Not only is this a major source of Disney Magic, but this was the first engine on the line on Disneyland's opening day in 1955. Walt Disney was at the throttle.

5. Find the piece of petrified tree in Frontierland. This artifact was actually an Anniversary present from Walt to Lillian Disney.

6. Ride Pirates Of The Caribbean... the last attraction personally supervised by Walt Disney.

7. Look up at the Disney Gallery above "Pirates." See if you can see Walt Disney's and Roy Disney's initials in the filagree of the railing.

9. Remember: Disneyland would not exist were it not for the vision and imagination of Walt Disney. This place is here for a single reason: Walt Disney wanted to share his dream with you.

10. No matter where you are in the park, Uncle Walt is just around the corner where you can't see him. You may never spot him, but he's there.

Finding Disneyland Magic:

1. Pay attention to happy faces... particularly those of children.

2. Enjoy your visit and all the varied experiences that are available to you.

3. Visit Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room and when asked, sing along... loudly.

4. Make sure to attend the 5PM Flag Retreat Ceremony.

5. Read the plaque at the base of the flagpole.

6. Take a chair at the bow of the Mark Twain for an after dark ride around the Rivers Of America.

7. Brave the line and ride "Peter Pan" in Fantasyland.

8. Realize that Disneyland is not about cramming in all the rides you can. It's mostly about just being there.

9. Stand in the entrance to Sleeping Beauty's Castle and look for the small brass marker in the walkway. This is the centerline survey marker for Main Street. Now you know something that most guests don't. While you're there, listen to Jiminy Cricket sing "When You Wish Upon A Star" and believe all the words.

10. Recognize why you've decided to return to Disneyland. It's because you've already experienced the Magic.

Welcome to MiceChat.
    Last edited by Tom Chaney; 07-13-2007 at 01:46 PM.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast