• "I Break Things"

Thoughts on Lincoln V. 50th

People are really divided over wanting Lincoln or wanting to keep a variant of the 50th. Personally I would love to see them ditch both, but keep both in a sense. How you ask...

Keep the Lobby, some of the concept art and "through the years" stuff but put Walt's old office back in. Take out the whole TV area and movie that no one watches and add an exhibit on the firehouse apartment, also keep the giant park model that used to be in the gallery... those things that were in the way of the old office would have to be moved but could decorate the surrounding walls (outside the office of course)

Ditch Steve Martin and Donald but retain the concepts behind the movie. Splice in all sorts of "Disneyland over the years" footage including clips from the ABC 54 specials, Nixon visit, and other landmark visits. At the end raise the screen and have an AA Walt Disney himself give the opening day dedication! Sounds simple... will never happen...

One addition, at the end he should say "And please try a churro... they're delicious!"
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Thoughts on Lincoln V. 50th

With the space involved in the Opera House, would there be enough room for some form of a "Hall of the Presidents" a la WDW..I'd prefer that or a return of Mr. Lincoln to the theater...

And outside a possible a combination of the return of Walt's office, and the best of the exhibits there now.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

Sounds like a lawsuit:

Judge: In the case of Lincoln v. 50th, how does the jury find?

Jury Foreman: We find the defendant guilty, your Honor.

Judge: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, the defendant is hereby remanded to custody where he will await sentencing.

How about Great Disney 50ths with Mr. Lincoln? He could wear mouse ears and be holding a churro and a Mickey balloon and wear a pin lanyard, recite the Gettysburg Address, and then regale us with the Disneyland story.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

While I do miss the original attraction and Mr. Disney's office set, If there is one President that should stay out of theatres it's definitely President Lincoln.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

the 50th isnt meant to stay. Disneylands history should go somewhere though, i like the opera house how it is, but lincon needs to go back

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    People are really divided over wanting Lincoln or wanting to keep a variant of the 50th. Personally I would love to see them ditch both, but keep both in a sense. How you ask...

Keep the Lobby, some of the concept art and "through the years" stuff but put Walt's old office back in. Take out the whole TV area and movie that no one watches and add an exhibit on the firehouse apartment, also keep the giant park model that used to be in the gallery... those things that were in the way of the old office would have to be moved but could decorate the surrounding walls (outside the office of course)

Ditch Steve Martin and Donald but retain the concepts behind the movie. Splice in all sorts of "Disneyland over the years" footage including clips from the ABC 54 specials, Nixon visit, and other landmark visits. At the end raise the screen and have an AA Walt Disney himself give the opening day dedication! Sounds simple... will never happen...

One addition, at the end he should say "And please try a churro... they're delicious!"
    Umm, my recollection is that the park model currently there was espcially constructed for the 50th. At least that is the story I recall from MC threads.

And they could find some place for the movie. Doesn't have to be on a big screen playing to an often nearly empty theater.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    the 50th isnt meant to stay. Disneylands history should go somewhere though
    Yeah, kind of like a gallery that showcases models and artwork from Disneyland's history including seasonal exhibits that highlight various aspects of the park. I think a good name would be The Disney Galler-

Oh wait.

• Lowering Expectations

No matter how hard the park tries, it just can't seem to pull in enough guests on a routine basis to justify the quality of the show (yes even the 50th show), nor even the capacity of the theater. The nice big red sign, the posters and the air conditioning flowing out the open doors just don't seem to be enough. One time while I was exiting the park, CMs near the Opera House were literally begging people to come inside and take a look at the exhibits & enjoy the show.

Between the two my vote would have to be for Lincoln, but only because I'm not sure what a new show might entail. Can you imagine the horror, if something as outrageous as a Babes & Toyland exhibit opened up shop in there?
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

I hope never to see a Walt Disney Audio Animatronic.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by youcancallmechris View Post
    Walt Disney's daughter specifically requested for this to never happen.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by youcancallmechris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    Walt Disney's daughter specifically requested for this to never happen.
    Most never wanted to see an AA of Johnny Depp and look how that turned out. Honestly hope no one took me too serious on this. I really think the Vaudeville Show would be the most appropriate and probably best thing. It would actually get people in there.... You could also have some of Disney's old artwork. I've often wondered why they never displayed a prop of his first ad job... the truck he painted... that would actually work in the MS Theme.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post

Personally I think they should have mass seances and bring Walt's spirit back to the park.

Questions to be presented to him can be submitted on cards before the session.

We can put an end to these What Would Walt DO threads once and for all by having private sessions for Micechat members. Maybe Sunday evenings would be a good time.

They will need to have auditions to recruit Cast Member Mediums. (Not to be confused with Medium Cast Members.)

Walt can tell us what he really thinks of Eisner, Pressler, Pixar, California Adventure, etc. Of course having the official Word will have a drastic effect on Micechat traffic.

Certain Micechat pretenders - who shall go unnamed - who claim to know what the real spirit of Disneyland is and what would have been had Walt only lived will have their stature drastically diminished. Though I'm sure that they won't realize it.

Invitation-only seances will occasionally be held at Club 33 with a special menu. Spirits will be served.

Disney will conduct Real Walk in Walt's Footsteps tours. Special glasses will be required to see the see the footprints he leaves during the tour. Unfortunately, due to metaphysical limitations, Walt will not be able to directly supply the narration but he will be channeled by the Tour Guide-Medium who will attempt to duplicate Walt's voice as much as possible. (For this reason, in a departure from normal Disney standards and practices, the Cast Member-Medium must be a chain smoker who will smoke during the tour. This however does not permit the guests on the tour to smoke outside of designated smoking areas.)

• Minion

I'd like to see them run the new edition of "One Man's Dream" with Julie Andrews hosting (sans Eisner) in the meantime.

I think merlinjones has a good idea. The "One Man's Dream" is a pretty darn good show as I recall from seeing it a few years ago at WDW. Yes, Eisner would need to go!

I like the idea of a ever-changing Disneyland historical exhibit drawn along the lines of that excellent Henry Ford Museum show that was up in Oakland last year. Boy was that amazing. The 50th show that DL put in was disappointing to say the least. If Lincoln is not coming back, then at the very least, do a really good museum-quality exhibit about Disneyland. Break up the lands seperately and do one new show every year. Kinda like the DL Frontierland show that was at the Autry a few years back. ...But, please make it good!
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• Minion

>>I think merlinjones has a good idea. The "One Man's Dream" is a pretty darn good show as I recall from seeing it a few years ago at WDW. Yes, Eisner would need to go! <<

He already has. The new WDW prints have replaced him with Julie!

That film certainly did not reach its maximum Anaheim exposure potential hidden away in DCA's animation pavillion.