Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Defying gravity

Re: Snow White's Scary Adventures DL VS. MK

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialImperium View Post
    it ends with a witch on a cliff and then happily ever after..I was confused throughout the whole day.
    As was I!!! When I went to MK...things finally all made sense.

• Koubu Pilot

3D CG animation has gotten old (except with PIXAR, that never gets old). Everyone is producing it and it all looks the same. What's happened to 2D animation is terrible. My brother watches Cartoon Network and every 2D show has that sloppy look only Ren & Stimpy or 2 Stupid Dogs could pull off back in the '90s. If Philharmagic were 2D animation, I'd be more excited if it came to California. I enjoy House of Mouse because of its 2D animation. If it were more like that, but theatre quality, it would get my interest.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    3D CG animation has gotten old (except with PIXAR, that never gets old). Everyone is producing it and it all looks the same. What's happened to 2D animation is terrible. My brother watches Cartoon Network and every 2D show has that sloppy look only Ren & Stimpy or 2 Stupid Dogs could pull off back in the '90s. If Philharmagic were 2D animation, I'd be more excited if it came to California. I enjoy House of Mouse because of its 2D animation. If it were more like that, but theatre quality, it would get my interest.
    The problem with 2D animation these days is it's not hand animated. It's all done in Flash. That's what gives it that sloppy, flat look. Disney and a couple others are the only ones not using flash animation.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Cherry Tart

The lame ending in DL is exactly why I LOVE the ride. It just amuses me so.

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

As anyone who's read my posts knows I'm completely obssessed with the Fantasyland dark rides. I find them charming and always have even when I was a teen and would have to talk friends into riding them with me--the kinda low key, old school techniques and feel of them is a huge part of the charm to me. I first went on White on my first DL trip when I was 7 or 8--somehow I ended up in a car ALl by myself with the rest of my family in other cars, and back then I scared easily so it was kinda a terrifying experience--but I also loved it. When I went back when I was 12 I was obssessed nad made sure to ride all 5 Disneyland dark rides at least twice.

As others pointed out Snow White opened with Disneyland--along with Toad and Pan. In 1958 Alice in Wonderland opened and then in 1983 in the gorgeous Tony BAxter designed Fantasyland redux all four rides were completely rebuilt (and largely redesigned) with Pinocchio added.

I think one reason these rides are so special to me is they offer you an experience few of the other dark rides at Disney do--a really private and individual one. You run away in your little car from the Queen in the dark *alone* more or less, not with a chain of omnimover cars surrounding you. This makes lines worse of course but...

Anyway for the most part I think the Disneyland dark rides trump the Magic Kingdom ones because of being more recent (and havign tighter designs)--the Magic Kingdom Pan and Toad and White were made in the 70s but bascially based on the 1955 Disneyland originals--which of course no longer exist in DL (although they were a bit more advances, using more full figures instead of cut outs, etc). However WDW has also had two versions of Snow White--in the mid 90s they completely redid the ride after years of complaints about it being too scary for kids and made it focus much more on the overall story and less on the scares.

Disneyland's current, 1983 edition on the other hand still focused almost entirely on the scares even if they did add Snow White herself in a few scenes (a mistake IMHO but since so few riders understood you were meant to be Snow I get why they did it). But still in theory you were meant ot be Snow being menaced by the Witch at all angles and turns--this isn't true of the mid 90s-onwards WDW version which was meant to satisfy more of a family audience.

THis is a mistake IMHO--i think the ride is much more exciting and more exciting as a spook house varation on the Snow White story (in this sense it's the most traditional fo the Fantasyland dark rides sinc ethey're base don the old carnival haunted trains/houses).

ANyone with a love for these rides needs to track down the "E" TIcket magazine articles they've done on all four original rides--the Snow White one is issue 13 so may be hard to find but when I was a teenager and found it I felt like I had struck gold--for ages I had tried to learn how the original Snow White was changed for the 1983 one. The track was made longer--they found more space in the castle though it's still the tightest of the dark rides. The original had a few fully carved figures but the new one has more and more fancy techniques but many fot he parts (the Witch popping out fo the door with the apple, etc0 are from the original ride. The original ride (E Ticket has a map) actually started with a trick thru the dwarve's diamond mine, and no scene of them dancing in the cottage.

Walt originally wanted each of the Fantasyland dark rides to have a distinct feel and identity--Snow White was *scary*, Peter Pan was meant to be kinda wondrous, Toad was meant to be crazy fun, etc... I think this has been lost a bit...

I BELIEVE the Tokyo version is nearly identical to Disneyland's just with a bit more detail since they had more room and as someone mentioned the cars are faster--the dark rides (Pinocchio, White and Pan) were built using the same models as the DL 1983 ones. The EuroDisney one is similar too but tells a LOT more of the story and the WDW revamp used some of the scenes from it.

My impression of the WDW one is it's still a lot of fun but just is a bit clumsily put together even if the story makes more sense--it has less of a purpose or vision to me than the scares of the DL original and its revamp.

I do hope the rumours on here of replacing it are just rumours--I'd be VERY upset

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...=1#post1961998 int he Snow White closing thread someone kindly posted the map The E Ticket did of the original 1955 Snow White ride layout

E

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234